Main Menu

Space Engineers

Started by Philippe, November 22, 2015, 12:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

The game has just had a big expansion so I expect that it is probably a bit buggy right now.  But it's on sale right now and I don't have time today to learn to play it even though it's a free weekend.

So my question to those of you who have played it is should I take advantage of the sale, or wait six to nine month for the kinks to get worked out?

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Jarhead0331

Its extremely stable and well polished. Yes, they just released an updates which added planets, and to the extent that is buggy, you could just stay away from them and build in space. Overall, its been one of the more polished early access games out there. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Boggit

I saw this on sale and was going to ask what you thought of it. I take it from what you say that it is a good purchasing decision. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Father Ted

I loved the idea of this and bought it a while back.  I still love the idea (build your own Millenium Falcon/USS Enterprise/Red Dwarf!), but just find that the building aspect wears me out very quickly.  It's the same with Medieval Engineers - great concept, just too exhausting to play.

Of course that's an entirely subjective opinion, and probably says more about my own failings than the game's, but I thought I would flag it up as a pre-purchase consideration.

Boggit

Thanks, I appreciate that. Is it massively micromanagement, or reasonably doable. Can you automate any activities? Any advice is appreciated. O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Jarhead0331

I agree with Ted. If you are going to build anything on a massive scale, you are going to need a healthy dose of time and patience. I also find that I get turned off by the prospect of building something large that is just going to take too much time that I will never complete it. That being said, nothing says you have to build large vessels, objects or stations. You could build small shuttle, fighter/bomber class craft, etc. really, the only limit is your imagination.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Boggit

Thanks for the advice. O0

BTW, I love the Star Wars Cat speeders, and your Combat Chicken avatar (which reminds me a bit of Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken). Very cool! O0 ;D

Father Ted

Probably an eagle there Boggit .

Anyhoo, on topic...The game is essentially virtual Lego, where you are the size of a Lego figure.  You can speed up building by "painting" areas with identical blocks (for walls and floors mainly), but otherwise it's piece by piece, and you have to move around your creation in order to construct it.  The latter aspect, plus the fiddling to get the pieces to snap together, is what gets tiresome for me.  Just to expand on what Jarhead said: you choose at the start of each build whether to make a craft in which you sit flight-sim style, a larger ship which you can also pilot and walk around in, or a space station.

You can join others in multiplayer, to make building quicker, but also, as weapons are available, to blast each other's creations apart.

It's very much a sandbox - no gameplay as such.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:49:12 PM

BTW, I love the Star Wars Cat speeders, and your Combat Chicken avatar (which reminds me a bit of Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken). Very cool! O0 ;D

LoL. Yeah...its a Bald Eagle. Not a chicken, dude. I went as 'Murica for Halloween this year.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 30, 2015, 09:20:39 PM

LoL. Yeah...its a Bald Eagle. Not a chicken, dude.

You don't have any idea how much I want to use this as a sig line.

Although.........the idea of a very well armed chicken is intriguing.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

AchillesLastStand

Had my eye on this for a while as well as Medieval Engineers but may wait for the Christmas sale. Has anyone tried Empyrion - Galactic Survival http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/ Its been getting very good ratings.

Empyrion - Galactic Survival is a 3D open world, space survival adventure in which you can fly across space and land on planets. Build, explore, fight and survive in a hostile galaxy full of hidden dangers.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on November 30, 2015, 11:02:19 PM
Had my eye on this for a while as well as Medieval Engineers but may wait for the Christmas sale. Has anyone tried Empyrion - Galactic Survival http://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/ Its been getting very good ratings.

Empyrion - Galactic Survival is a 3D open world, space survival adventure in which you can fly across space and land on planets. Build, explore, fight and survive in a hostile galaxy full of hidden dangers.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14436.0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Boggit

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 30, 2015, 09:20:39 PM
Quote from: Boggit on November 30, 2015, 05:49:12 PM

LoL. Yeah...its a Bald Eagle. Not a chicken, dude. I went as 'Murica for Halloween this year.
LOL! Very cool anyway. :)

Boggit

If you could only buy one, which would you get and why... Empyrion or Space Engineers?

Jarhead0331

Probably space engineers. It's more polished and further along in its development.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog