Victoriana

Started by Nefaro, May 26, 2015, 12:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Inspired by Gameleaper's post about the Mythic GM Emulator here,  I decided to give it a shot.  Not only for playing solo, but to help eliminate most prep-time.

Then I realized the only modern tabletop RPGs I own are both futuristic sci-fi & cyberpunk, Shadowrun 5th and Star Wars: Edge Of The Empire.  Those are great but I also wanted some fantasy or alt-history alternatives.

After much digging, I found a few titles that stood above the rest in my preference for a mix of interesting setting and equally interesting game mechanics & character options.

I ordered the core books for these to try out:

1) Victoriana 

My most anticipated. 

It's basically Shadowrun in the Victorian Era.  Containing a good bit of Magic and the Occult, along with some light Steampunk, varied demi-human races (dwarf, Elderi/elves, Ogres, Beastmen, etc), and starting in 1856 London.  Another thing I like is that it uses Dice Pools, with "exploding" dice and negative/opposing "black dice" for penalties, so there is less DRM Hell to keep track of.  I just find the "bucket 'o dice' method more enjoyable and less of a hassle.  It's not a terribly unusual dicing system but the genre still seems to be dominated by various d20, d10/100 systems I'd prefer avoiding.

Obviously the setting is in the same vein as the PC game Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic, which I greatly enjoyed but experienced regular CTDs so much I never got too far. 

Also.. been really enjoying watching Penny Dreadful lately so this definitely piques the mood.

2) Qin: The Warring States

This is something quite different for me.  A tabletop set in the ancient Chinese Qin period. 

Besides reportedly being a gorgeous book, the thing that really enticed me was the way the mechanics fit Eastern style philosophy & legend.  For example, the usual character statistics (STR, etc) are replaced with such things as Wood, Iron, Fire, etc along with all the Magic and Fighting styles.  Like a Wire-Fu movie but in a lower-powered way, not so over the top.

It's another unusual RPG from Cubicle 7.  There was a trend in this RPG search.  I need to keep an eye on this company in the future!

3) Ars Magica 5th Ed

Some of you are probably familiar with this one.  I still have a 2nd Edition (IIRC) packed away somewhere, but I wanted to see how this oldie has grown.  When I picked up the first edition, in my young years, I was infatuated with this thing.  The Magic system was pretty damn awesome, and much else was good, too.  I hope it's even better. 

I had also taken a brief look around from the latest Pendragon stuff but it seems those are now Out Of Print.  ::)  Same with the latest Twilight 2013.   I'll have to keep a wary eye out for decently priced (and probably used) copies.  :-\   I definitely want to get some of the latest Pendragon eventually, as that was another of my favorite oldies.  Fortunately Ars Magica is still in print.. and I'm a Motherfuckin Sorcerer!  >:D

bayonetbrant

if you're OK with PDFs, then 5th ed Pendragon and T2013 are available at DriveThruRPG
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 26, 2015, 05:10:46 AM
if you're OK with PDFs, then 5th ed Pendragon and T2013 are available at DriveThruRPG

Yeah, I saw those there and bookmarked. 

I don't mind small supplemental PDFs too much.  But 200+ page core books are just too much.  The 63-page Mythic GME was about my preferred limit.

I definitely want all my RPG books to be printed.  That's just how I roll with tabletop stuff.

DriveThru offers some of the large ones via their own print services but others, such as Pendragon and T2013, aren't available for print - PDF only.  So I have to assume that getting permission to have someone else professionally print the things isn't going to happen.   :-\

If DriveThru offered printed copies, I'd be all over it.

Nefaro

Now that I think about it, pretty sure I still have a 3rd or 4th Edition Pendragon along with 'The Boy King' supplement.   Somewhere. 

Hopefully it's in good shape still.