Mythic GameMaster Emulator,Solo RolePlaying any RPG

Started by gameleaper, April 28, 2015, 07:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

I havnt done a search, so I don't know if the Mythic Game Master emulator has been mentions so please forgive if so.

I got into RPGs about 8 years ago, I then found lots of new life in PC RPGs, and had lots of fun with my new understanding of RPG mechanics. I dip in and out of reading RPG books, But the most interesting thing out there for RPGers with no friends to play across a tabletop is the Mythic GameMaster Emulator. You can play any RPG alone or with friends. I think you can get it from NowRPG.com or somewhere like that its cheap too, and you can get the mythic bundle cheap.

I am returning to the books at the moment, and thought you guys might like the idea of this system .

gameleaper

PS: it really works

if say your in a room, you may ask the emulator is there any stairs? you consider is it likely very likely ,unlikely etc.. and roll two ten sided dice for a percentage score. so if it was likely 70% roll 70 or less and you have stairs.

simple and works

Nefaro

Sounds interesting, but it also sounds almost like a randomized Zork.  ???

I'm wondering a couple things:

1) Do you just lead it along with yes/no questions? 

2) I'd think the "surprise" events would be the big draw, so how often can you expect such things?

3) Does it only work for traditional fantasy RPGs or does it work for sci-fi too?

I would imagine such a system would work best with more abstract RPGs.  Such as the new Star Wars and Warhammer Fantasy series from Fantasy Flight where stuff like range is only counted in bands and the custom dice provide extra random event narrative plants.  Any experience using this with various RPG systems & settings, or just the traditional ones?

Nefaro

I got it and just finished printing.  Will definitely check it out.

Also noticed it has another supplement, Mythic Variations which adds more setting-specific keyword tables & such, expanding the GM Emulator. 

Have you checked that out yet? 

gameleaper

Im a freeform RPG gamer, I use any info I can get from d&D books or any RPG, the questions you ask the GM emulator are what counts, like if your on a road there is a 70% chance of cars being parked but 30% no cars, the story drives itself. the fate table has opposing die rolls that is really good for combat. I got it just for the charts and ideas.

bbmike

gameleaper, have you been to the Solo RPG site? It uses Mythic as part of its generator. And thanks for pointing out the Mythic GameMaster Emulator. I think it's going to come in handy when I eventually start my solo Star Trek RPG game.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on June 21, 2015, 08:05:09 AM
gameleaper, have you been to the Solo RPG site? It uses Mythic as part of its generator. And thanks for pointing out the Mythic GameMaster Emulator. I think it's going to come in handy when I eventually start my solo Star Trek RPG game.  O0

Definitely looks like it takes a cue from MGME. 

However, I think MGME's biggest strength is the random events and their keyword combinations.  Doesn't look like that web resource uses such a thing.  It's a nice & simple way to inspire unforeseen turns in the narrative AFAICT.  Been planning on picking up the extra Mythic module that has more such keyword charts and genre-specific ones, eventually.   

gameleaper

thanks for that like bb

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on June 21, 2015, 10:06:57 AM

Definitely looks like it takes a cue from MGME. 

However, I think MGME's biggest strength is the random events and their keyword combinations.  Doesn't look like that web resource uses such a thing.  It's a nice & simple way to inspire unforeseen turns in the narrative AFAICT.  Been planning on picking up the extra Mythic module that has more such keyword charts and genre-specific ones, eventually.

I just looked at the site, I can see the Question Mechanic from MGME.

bbmike

Yeah, I'm about to start my Gamma World campaign and I'm going to stick to the Mythic book.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 06, 2015, 05:23:20 PM
Yeah, I'm about to start my Gamma World campaign and I'm going to stick to the Mythic book.

may the needs of the few :) hope it goes well bb

PanzersEast

I'm not a RPGer however after coming across this it has opened up the sandbox curiosity in me..... have you guys successfully adapted it to other systems and what other systems do you guys recommend?  Space etc....

I remember as a kid purchasing Pendragon and having no clue what I or my friends where doing but we had fun!

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 03, 2015, 11:28:13 AM
I'm not a RPGer however after coming across this it has opened up the sandbox curiosity in me..... have you guys successfully adapted it to other systems and what other systems do you guys recommend?  Space etc....

I remember as a kid purchasing Pendragon and having no clue what I or my friends where doing but we had fun!

PE

It works with any RPG. 

The GM Emulator part is just a small generic system for answering scaled yes/no to RPG questions, such as "are there any monsters in this room?" or anything else you may think up in the currently role-played situation.  There are four typical responses Strong Yes, Yes, No, and Strong No, iirc so there are suggestions on how to interpret all that.  This is the easy part, and the rules give you suggestions on how to interpret the answers.

There is also a small chance that something unusual has happened, as well as being able to generate special situations, with some randomly rolled keywords.  They lend ideas for putting a spin on the current situation, or introducing a new one into the story.  This is probably the best part about MGME;  how it can create setbacks and spark completely new unforeseen sub-plots and happenstances in the middle of it.

I used the term "story" because the system is really an inspirational narrative generator.  You could just as easily use it just for creating a story as you go, without using any RPG system at all.  In other words you'll be interpreting what you need to roll, and other such mechanics from the specific RPG you're using via it's own system.  But the MGME helps generate a story as you go, forcing you to logically create the evolving situation from the rolls.  Only using the MGME system to continue the plot, and the RPG mechanics to resolve everything else it normally would for a player.

bbmike

I haven't start a game yet with it but I'm very close. I got sidetracked creating three different setups.  :)) I'm also using NBOS's The Keep 2.0 to track everything so that's taking time to configure. I hope to start my first RPG soon and finally see how Mythic works.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak