Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Quote from: mikeck on October 07, 2013, 03:03:17 PM
The freeze occurred while the AI times were processing not doing anything graphics intensive. haven't had a current except in beta 4. Happened twice in a row

I can imagine this happening with the checkbox selected at 'Use shared memory' or whatever it is called. It enables the game to also use your RAM for graphics stuff. But this leaves less RAM for the other stuff like calculations.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

Playing for about 5 weeks, I have to switch it up a little bit now I think and move on. Haven't finished the Roman campaign yet but I'll be back.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I got one for you. Playing as Suebi and one city has a workshop that can up-grade my Club Levy melee weapons. So I do it and the next battle when I zoom-in close to give my troops a look-over, I notice the Club Levy are now carrying hammers. Their melee weapons actually changed on the battle screen from clubs to hammers. Now they're Hammer Levy I guess. Maybe this is old news to some of you but it's the first time I've seen it in a TW game. A real nice touch. Now I can't wait to get the Uzi Up-grade. ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 07, 2013, 05:49:23 PM
I don't doubt you haven't seen it happen - but it did.

What happened though is that a single unit of Chariots attacked my army of 2000 troops. I thought that a bit odd until I saw that they were being reinforced by almost 3000 troops.

Anyway, I went into that battle (initiated by 1 unit of Chariots reinforced by 3000+ troops) and it ebbed and flowed, my units waivering, theirs...and eventually I got the upper hand and they ran. I chased, killing what I could. Anyway, we went back to the Strat map where I was shown the results and as soon as I clicked the OK button, I was attacked again. This time by a bigger force - but I'm pretty sure it was the one (the reinforcing one) I just gubbed...and they were being reinforced by 600+ garrison troops...and that was that. Maybe that's legit - I don't know. But I think if a unit has been involved in a battle, regardless of whether they were the initiating force or a reinforcing force, they shouldn't be allowed to attack again - but they most definitely did.

As for the Demetae - my bad. I was thinking of the Dumnonii - which was green and is now yellow because I just got my arse kicked presumably.  :-[

This has to do with the seige mechanic I think.  Sometimes you have to fight multiple battles to open a seige.  So battle A would be clear off what is out there, battle B would be you enter the seige radius successfully and trigger the anti-seige attack.  Different radiuses get triggered at different times.  I often do big seiges like this:

1) scout the barbarian city (find massive cluster of armies)
2) bring up 3 legions just outside the battle trigger area
3) Attack an army
4) Fight that battle (which might be the point where the other side triggers a battle)
5) Move up one army to encircle
6) bring up other armies now that the trigger radius is gone
7) trigger the seige battle

On the face of it there's no reason the AI couldn't do a similar staged series of battles, though I have only seen this from my side.  And in the series, every army can fight multiple times.

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 07, 2013, 04:55:16 PM
So - I did start a game as the Britons. Iceni to be precise. I decide I'm going to battle someone (guys up north - can't remember) so for a few turns I send my agent up there to do the dirty, build some forces and get ready. I'm playing on Easy - and by god the enemy can raise forces quickly!!

Anyway - I think it might be a good idea to broker some deals...maybe get a pal on board. So I go to the Demetae - who are apparently friendly with me. I can't do a damned thing to get them on side. Ask for Trade, nope. Ask for a defensive pact - nope. Ask for a military pact - nope. Offer money with all the above - NOPE!

So I go it alone. I take on the enemy - who seem to have spawned the army from hell itself in the time I've been pissing about doing god knows what. I battle on the field - and beat them...they scarper. But as soon as I get back to the strategic map, I'm engaged again - by the same bloody forces I just beat and who ran!

So anyway - I have no choice really - outnumbered I do battle - and lose all but 200 troops. So I run away and hide in some trees. And I see a BIG Demetae force..."hello" I think - "help is here"...only he decides to attack my battered army AND invade and head towards my one city.

And therein lies my problem with these games. I spend a plethora of wasted minutes/hours on diplomacy that NEVER seems to come off. And worse, your apparent "friend" is a twat.

Bored and game is closed until I can be arsed to piss about with it some more.

I wouldn't be so bloody pissed off having just been beaten...but the fact I was beaten by a force that was running from my IMMEDIATE previous battle, and then I was attacked by my apparent pal...given I have enough "yellow" and "red" factions out there - WTF am I being attacked by my friend - and NO - he wasn't in any sort of pact with the faction I attacked.

Here's what probably happened:

In your move you attacked (I assume)
  In the AI moves they attacked (that's two attacks from two different AIs AND the second AI might change its mind between one battle and the next -- ie, your army got smashed so they attacked.)  Some factions are just treacherous as hell.

Some games just start badly.  I got crushed the first two times out (Easy Pontus and Normal Carthage).  Easy Egypt was the one of the toughest games I've ever managed to survive and prosper in.  Normal Parthia was stupendously lucky and Patch3 favors the bold.  Normal Rome in Patch4 seems to have been pretty lucky so far too.  For some reason the barbarians are happy with me and hate Carthage and Nova Carthago and all their allies.  There's definitely some luck in the early fighting.  So for example, the Selucids crushed Pontus and almost crushed Egypt, but they fell apart in Patch3 and Parthia prospered and the Turdinea under Turdus Turdo Turdanus have wiped out Nova Carthago and are pounding on Carthage.  In Diplomacy I try to be steadfast and not have too many allies and NO clients or Satrapies.  Clients and Satrapies just get you into trouble and allies are not much better.

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on October 07, 2013, 09:50:30 PM
Ask Caesar how far "pledges of loyalty and friendship" got him in Gaul. Seriously though, diplomacy hS always sucked in total war. I play Rome and everyone should know that I am coming to kill them. If they want to offer an agreement, fine... I'm still coming

Diplomacy wasn't bad in Shogun 2.  At least until the Realm Divide added penalties to everyone.

MengJiao

But I think if a unit has been involved in a battle, regardless of whether they were the initiating force or a reinforcing force, they shouldn't be allowed to attack again - but they most definitely did.

Why shouldn't an army be allowed to attack more than once?  For example, suppose I station an army in supporting distance of a city (this is a good move because you don't get locked up in the siege if the enemy attacks).  Suppose 5 different factions attack the city.  The game allows my army to defend (ie counter-attack) each of the Ai forces in each of the AI turns if it survives.  I've had one fleet destroyed by sequential attacks by different AI factions while it was acting as a garrison.  It got to fight every battle.  Of course an army outside within striking distance is in a lot better position than a fleet as a garrison, but it still gets to attack if there is an attack on the city and it gets to attack all attacks if it survives.

JudgeDredd

I'm not necessarily saying they shouldn't.

But - the army that attacked me, had just previously attacked me (not directly - it was a single unit of chariots that attacked me with a supporting force of 3000+ reinforcements) and I routed them all from the battlefield. The second attack from what I saw was not a new army - it was the same army (or the reinforcing army) which I had beaten off the battlefield.

Admittedly, they did have quite a few men still, but their commander had died and they routed. I chased and killed what I could.

If that can happen, it can happen...but I've never seen it before...I wouldn't really have minded if I had attacked them, then after that battle, routed or not, they attacked me...but that wasn't the case.
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 08, 2013, 02:23:07 PM

But - the army that attacked me, had just previously attacked me (not directly - it was a single unit of chariots that attacked me with a supporting force of 3000+ reinforcements) and I routed them all from the battlefield. The second attack from what I saw was not a new army - it was the same army (or the reinforcing army) which I had beaten off the battlefield.

Admittedly, they did have quite a few men still, but their commander had died and they routed. I chased and killed what I could.

If that can happen, it can happen...but I've never seen it before...I wouldn't really have minded if I had attacked them, then after that battle, routed or not, they attacked me...but that wasn't the case.

They were supporting the first battle and then they got their own move.  Your armies could do the same.  Fighting is pretty fluid in Rome II and after all it does cover a year of time.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: MengJiao on October 09, 2013, 08:26:34 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 08, 2013, 02:23:07 PM

They were supporting the first battle and then they got their own move.  Your armies could do the same.  Fighting is pretty fluid in Rome II and after all it does cover a year of time.
I did forget about that
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: MengJiao on October 08, 2013, 12:55:27 PM
But I think if a unit has been involved in a battle, regardless of whether they were the initiating force or a reinforcing force, they shouldn't be allowed to attack again - but they most definitely did.

Why shouldn't an army be allowed to attack more than once?  For example, suppose I station an army in supporting distance of a city (this is a good move because you don't get locked up in the siege if the enemy attacks).  Suppose 5 different factions attack the city.  The game allows my army to defend (ie counter-attack) each of the Ai forces in each of the AI turns if it survives.  I've had one fleet destroyed by sequential attacks by different AI factions while it was acting as a garrison.  It got to fight every battle.  Of course an army outside within striking distance is in a lot better position than a fleet as a garrison, but it still gets to attack if there is an attack on the city and it gets to attack all attacks if it survives.

I have attacked enemy armies twice in one turn on several occasions. I think it has to do with your movement. If you start the turn will full movement next to an enemy army and attack it, if it has remnants or retreats you'll often be able to follow-up and attack it again.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

The 4th patch is now public at Steamworks. 142 MB in total. Claims to add or fix 157 changes. And they suggest to get the full effects from the changes, you should .... start a new campaign. >:( Patch 5 is in the works.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

No way I'm doing that now!  Does the new patch corrupt or make old campaigns incompatible?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 11, 2013, 10:28:16 AM
The 4th patch is now public at Steamworks. 142 MB in total. Claims to add or fix 157 changes. And they suggest to get the full effects from the changes, you should .... start a new campaign. >:( Patch 5 is in the works.

While I love the updates, I cannot get anywhere in my games because after a week I have to restart them
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I'm still leaving this for a while to bed down. I don't often make much progress in campaigns - but when I do, I really don't want to restart!
Alba gu' brath