Confessions of a Groghead

Started by Bison, September 06, 2012, 07:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

Age has changed my disposition.

When I was younger I was eager to install something new. Now, I consider a learning curve to be nuisance unless the genre and product are very compelling. Othwise, I prefer getting deep into old games for which I already know the game and it has unlimited content/replay.

Bison

Sadly I find that I'm beginning to fall more in line with your reasoning Mark, but being a fool I attempt to respond by trying new things before I go back to the old trusty standbys. 

Which reminds me I need to fire up some Campaign Series to get in some hex based gaming.

Steelgrave

Unfortunately, I have to say "ditto". I seldom take the time to learn a really complicated game anymore, preferring old favorites or games which I am familiar with because of their linage (Skyrim, Civ, etc....). The deepest games I've gotten into lately are things like SotS, Armada 2526 Supernova, Advanced Tactics Gold and Conflict of Heroes. Essentially I like to jump into a game,  be able to figure out a few things from get-go, then dig around and pick up the finer points of the economic system or whatever. A game that starts up and has me staring at the screen wondering wtf to do often leads to me firing up something I'm comfortable with. Ehhhh.....this from the Avalon Hill Advance Squad Leader dude with the counters all over the living room table years ago  ??? It happens.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Same with me.  I used to love getting to grips with a new, complicated interface and slowly mastering it.   I should be madly in love with the DCS line of products, but the thought of trying to figure out how to use a weapons system or radar package just seems like work and I don't want to even try.

MarkShot

Of course, years ago games came with a well written tutorial, technical reference, and historical/conceptual reference. Although a lot to read, once you did, you could be playing.

These days you're lucky to get a keyboard reference. If you haven't played many others in the genre or played earlier releases, then your only hope is to learn is from forum posts or YouTube videos.

So, maybe there is more than aging going on here.

Steelgrave

^GOOD POINT!

I used to take many a manual into the bathroom to catch up on my reading. Its a lot harder to do that with a computer screen, even IF they had a manual online.   8)

LongBlade

Meh. This is an amateur-level omission.

No one these days expects a 200 page manual. However, inserting an extra two pages into a .pdf to explain new units would not be a lot of effort.

The most likely explanation is money. I would bet a dollar that a manual was discussed. Probably making the manual was a job to be outsourced. I know who used to do this stuff. He's excellent. He's reasonable. But it was going to cost money. And I'd wager yet another dollar that the decision was made not to pay for the update. Hence the readme.txt.

Is this a game-killing problem? Depends on whether you've ever played a game where engineers are used to clear mines. And whether you know that pioniere are the Germans' engineers.

If I'm a n00b and I don't know any of that? I'm probably screwed. Even a veteran gamer like Airboy struggled. I don't blame him for being unhappy about the lack of explanation.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I confess that LB might have meant his post for another thread.   

Steelgrave

He's mad because I used caps    ;D

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on September 10, 2012, 07:59:54 PM
I confess that LB might have meant his post for another thread.   

NEVER point out when I am wrong.

Not that I was wrong. I am NEVER wrong. That wasn't the post you were looking for.

And I will Force Crush every beer can in your fridge if you do that again!

MetalDog

LB, you're killing me with that sig line, dude. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

Quote from: MetalDog on September 10, 2012, 08:19:56 PM

Bison was my inspiration.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: LongBlade on September 10, 2012, 08:41:28 PM

That's a horrifying statement.  :o

Martok

Quote from: MarkShot on September 10, 2012, 03:17:51 PM
Age has changed my disposition.

When I was younger I was eager to install something new. Now, I consider a learning curve to be nuisance unless the genre and product are very compelling. Othwise, I prefer getting deep into old games for which I already know the game and it has unlimited content/replay.
Quote from: Bison on September 10, 2012, 03:31:39 PM
Sadly I find that I'm beginning to fall more in line with your reasoning Mark, but being a fool I attempt to respond by trying new things before I go back to the old trusty standbys. 

Which reminds me I need to fire up some Campaign Series to get in some hex based gaming.
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 10, 2012, 03:48:57 PM
Unfortunately, I have to say "ditto". I seldom take the time to learn a really complicated game anymore, preferring old favorites or games which I am familiar with because of their linage (Skyrim, Civ, etc....). The deepest games I've gotten into lately are things like SotS, Armada 2526 Supernova, Advanced Tactics Gold and Conflict of Heroes. Essentially I like to jump into a game,  be able to figure out a few things from get-go, then dig around and pick up the finer points of the economic system or whatever. A game that starts up and has me staring at the screen wondering wtf to do often leads to me firing up something I'm comfortable with. Ehhhh.....this from the Avalon Hill Advance Squad Leader dude with the counters all over the living room table years ago  ??? It happens.
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 10, 2012, 06:25:18 PM
Same with me.  I used to love getting to grips with a new, complicated interface and slowly mastering it.   I should be madly in love with the DCS line of products, but the thought of trying to figure out how to use a weapons system or radar package just seems like work and I don't want to even try.
I share all these sentiments as well. 

These days, if a new game has a complicated UI, I can only get into it if I find it particularly compelling (Distant Worlds and Crusader Kings 2 both being good examples).  I think it's why I continue to struggle with AGEOD titles, despite my interest in both the historical periods and the gameplay. 

Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 10, 2012, 11:42:17 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 10, 2012, 08:41:28 PM

That's a horrifying statement.  :o
Personally, I think it's hilarious!  :D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Keunert

and i thought Harley must have been the inspiration to LB's sig line.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo