Women and wargaming

Started by Rex Brynen, March 05, 2016, 04:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: MetalDog on March 13, 2016, 01:44:39 PM
Fishing is real popular around here.  In a few of the bachelor pads, there is a framed narrative that goes something like, 'Looking for woman with a boat who can cook, clean, do laundry, and skin a fish. Send pictures of the boat.'  I assume you're looking for pics of the counters ;)

LMAO, when I read the posts on geek, I thought, "hmmm, wonder if she likes fishing." Sad and true
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Crazy Girl

I maybe a lesbian who got knocked up by a married man, but this, um no...
http://www.geekwire.com/2016/microsoft-apologizes-hiring-schoolgirl-dancers-gdc-party-calls-unequivocally-wrong/

Quote from: Windigo on March 11, 2016, 10:34:49 AM
wow.... a non jargon word I have to look up.

anathematize - to curse someone
:smitten:
Yeah, I know many of words not used in every day language. Every now and then I like to throw one for kicks.

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 11, 2016, 12:27:48 PM
:smitten: indeed! -- though I knew that word. I'm guessing she got it the same place I knew it: from church.
I did go to Sunday school for 12 years and I spend most of my summers with the nuns.
There was a stint in an all girls Catholic high school. I wish our uniforms did not look like those Microsoft female dancers.

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 11, 2016, 09:41:08 AM
I am now both scared for and envious of B_C.  >:D
No need to feel scared, envious/jealous for B_C. He probably thinks I'm too young and dumb to be a worthy opponent.
But the truth is, we both know my IQ level is too high for him and he is one of the smartest people I know.
Which makes me sad for the rest of humanity, because most people are dumb. Happy Fools Day!

avrotim

Wait...Microsoft has female dancers?
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

Nefaro

Quote from: avrotim on April 03, 2016, 06:18:44 PM
Wait...Microsoft has female dancers?

The correct term would probably be "had".

bayonetbrant

For those of you that never head to the front page (or didn't even know we had one), here are some more thoughts

http://grogheads.com/?p=10737
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ubercat

Wow, great article.

With all the PC, progressive, professional victimhood nonsense going on today, I'd dismissed Sarkeesian and Quinn's claims out of hand. Reading that article showed that I may very well have jumped the gun on my assumptions. I might not immediately dive into researching the Gamersgate thing, but I also won't auto-sneer when I see their names in print.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GJK

Asked Tanya why she doesn't play wargames: "Because they're boring.  But it makes me happy to see you enjoying them".  That's my response.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on April 12, 2016, 10:24:59 PM
Asked Tanya why she doesn't play wargames: "Because they're boring.  But it makes me happy to see you enjoying them".  That's my response.

O0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Ubercat on April 12, 2016, 09:37:57 PMWith all the PC, progressive, professional victimhood nonsense going on today, I'd dismissed Sarkeesian and Quinn's claims out of hand. Reading that article showed that I may very well have jumped the gun on my assumptions. I might not immediately dive into researching the Gamersgate thing, but I also won't auto-sneer when I see their names in print.

My point was that you can assume all you want, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking they are professional victims (it's your opinion, so have whatever opinion you want).  But if you think that's the case, then craft a better argument in response.  You don't threaten them into submission with violence.

TacticalWargames

Posted an article on my facebook ppage..which grnated I didn't read but just saw the headline and the general jist seemed to be for us all to treat women equally and vice versa obviously, which I thought a fair thing to ask\say..well posting that was a mistake which I wont do again. Didn't expect the comments the post go. Had to delete it.

Some things really baffle me.

bayonetbrant

I would've been interested in seeing some of them

TacticalWargames

@bayonetbrant Well really not that much to see..just some didn't like it as it was seen  as political etc etc. As it just caused upset and could have turned into a flame war etc I decided to nip it in the bud. No one missed it. I had just read the heading and thought anything asking for equality was a good thing and so shared it.

I think forums are much better places to debate and discuss this sort of thing if it gets heated. A Facebook page geared towards game news prob isn't set up for this kind of heated discussion.

TacticalWargames

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 05, 2016, 07:21:23 PM
if you're going to have women in decision-making positions - not through quota but through their own interest in the job and their promotions based on merit - why wouldn't you want them equally represented in the professional wargaming world that purports to help them with decision-making related to their jobs?

That's how I feel.

avrotim

I saw that original article that fist started all this when it was first posted/reposted on Facebook.

Here's 2 degrees of separation for you:  you know me, and I have met the girl in question.  I bought a game from her when she was still at the game store where the harassment she reported happened.  The store is about 3-4 blocks for my house.

Its not a particularly inviting place.  You get the distinct impression when you walk in that if you are not a Magic player or a RPG, they really aren't interested in you.  The girl in question was a wee pixie of a thing with a grunge look going on.  She sold me the wrong game.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

mirth

Quote from: avrotim on April 13, 2016, 11:21:23 AM
You get the distinct impression when you walk in that if you are not a Magic player or a RPG, they really aren't interested in you.

That's the impression I get from most game shops, but to be fair it's MTG that keeps most game shops afloat. That's the moneymaker and that's the primary market. Any kind of retail is a hard enough business, but running an FLGS is uber-niche.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus