Women and wargaming

Started by Rex Brynen, March 05, 2016, 04:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

We've all been pretty busy trying to keep Star out of the goat locker.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crazy Girl

I heard someone call me out. LONGBLADE... tsk, tsk, tsk. Risky behavior.

Quote from: Cyrano on March 09, 2016, 12:18:37 PM
My wife has always agreed to play any wargame with me once...
That's AWESOME!!!

Quote from: Cyrano on March 09, 2016, 12:18:37 PM
Also, gentlemen...
Exclusion, NOT awesome. I'm a girl. I am here. I'm not gentle and I'm definitely not a man.
But I understand your message was for the boys. The gentle statement, ignore that.

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 09, 2016, 12:23:43 PM
Quote from: Cyrano on March 09, 2016, 12:18:37 PMAlso, gentlemen, I entered this thread with no small measure of trepidation and am delighted that, as far as ai can tell, at no point did this degenerate into a conversation about ANY female body parts.  Entirely well done.  I take this as progress.
to be fair, there's no shortage of those elsewhere
Yes, I read fast and I covered a lot of ground, somebody always throws something in there. It's actually quite funny.
Personal note, I grew up with 2 brothers and their "not so smart" friends were always over. I can handle it.
You guys are pretty tame, maybe cause you're all "grown" up.

Quote from: LongBlade on March 09, 2016, 12:56:35 PM
Well, Crazy Girl kicked off the OP with the mention of some "stress balls" but in a remarkable show of restraint no one took the bait. Probably for the reason Brant notes above.
Yes, I'm glad I was able to speak your language. Not sure if my message came across as I would of liked.
Anyways, I am not a troll. I get seasick so by default I don't go fishing.

Windigo

CrazyGirl,
you're trying to hard... just saying.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Nefaro

Quote from: Windigo on March 10, 2016, 02:37:17 AM
CrazyGirl,

Not sure if intentional misspelling..

Windigo

Strictly on the subliminal level I assure you.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Crazy Girl

Quote from: Windigo on March 10, 2016, 02:37:17 AM
CrazyGirl,
"O", there it is. In case you forgot. Too smart for my own good.
Okay, I'll bite. I mean hey, you called me out. Literally.
So what did you mean? You got choices.
A. What do you mean I'm trying "too" hard? If that's what you meant.
B. Awe, you think I'm trying. Don't think. You might hurt yourself.
C. I'm trying to harden what? Seriously? It wasn't that far under the radar.
D. All of the above.

bayonetbrant

Hey y'all...  just a note:  this is the "wargaming" section of the forum!  :D

We could, y'know, actually talk about, I dunno...  WARGAMES!

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Jumping in for a moment:

I can assure anyone here that I would be teaching my nieces to play strategy and tactical games 24 / 7 (or for as long as they cared ;) ), along with basic swordfighting skilz once they got old enough to be trusted with weapon techniques (I've already taught them a little about movement), and even rather more violent video games (within their age appropriate limit of course).

But -- the parents, and especially their mom, put a big NO on most of that. I can get away with management games but that's about it.

Some of that is no doubt due to wanting them not to be dangerously aggressive, or to have nightmares, which is very understandable. But a lot of it amounts to 'That's for boys, not for girls.'

And that's what they're learning, too.  :-\

(Note: the Bro was himself as much of a wargamer as I was growing up, and despite him being younger I got into it thanks to him. He'd probably be more lenient about it; it's the Browife who puts on the brakes, be that right or wrong in whatever mix.)

Anyway, welcome CG.  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Emeraldlis

Hi lads and lasses , I really feel I have to jump in here and add my two penny's worth :)
First of all hi crazy girl , nice to see a woman posting on here and sharing her opinions . But I have to say that after reading all your comments and everyone's replies I think you've made some wide and sweeping statements .

I don't post much , but when I have done ...EVERYONE  that has replied to me has been very welcoming and helpful and very friendly . I haven't come across one guy that's tried to hit on me , which is awesome because I'm here to learn about gaming . And most guys on here have women in their lives wives/daughters/moms soooooo I'm sure they know by now how to respect women  O0

I think you've not really given these guys a chance , you've started off with a very defensive stance and just assumed that guys on here will be horrible to you , instead of just making friends and then if you do come across someone that acts inappropriately , report it and it will be dealt with .....there is always the GROGFATHER and his associates after all monitoring 24/7  :knuppel2:

Hell.......one of the guys offered to teach you war gaming , and he didn't seem to mind that you are a beginner ...just sayin  :)

As for me , I read in the forums regularly , I'm learning a lot about what games I may or may not be interested in . I've bought carcassone and many add on's because of hearing about it on here , ok it's not a war game , but it's a lot of fun , great strategy and it's a beginning . I don't think I'll ever become a hardened war gamer ......ahem ...excuse the pun ....knowing you lot you won't  :2funny: but oh well , that's what makes you guys tick , that's fine by me  :D  goodness knows if this was a female dominated site there would be puns a plenty about gals and guys ......and maybe the guys would be feeling intimidated, and there'd have to be a GROGMOTHER , lol , taking care of business !!

Those are my thoughts on this subject .............fire at will !!!!!!  :P
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Emeraldlis on March 10, 2016, 12:53:46 PM
GROGMOTHER

Great post Emeraldis, and Gus is the grogmother - just saying

Emeraldlis

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 10, 2016, 01:04:26 PM
GROGMOTHER

:2funny: who are the ugly sisters ................... ::)  I could nominate myself for one ....I'm having that kind of a day !!!
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

JasonPratt

Quote from: Emeraldlis on March 10, 2016, 01:10:52 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 10, 2016, 01:04:26 PM
GROGMOTHER

:2funny: who are the ugly sisters ................... ::)

That question, lies madness.  ::) :P
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crazy Girl

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 10, 2016, 12:20:49 PM
I can assure anyone here that I would be teaching my nieces to play strategy and tactical games...
That's pure awesomeness!!!

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 10, 2016, 12:20:49 PM
But -- the parents, and especially their mom, put a big NO on most of that...
But a lot of it amounts to 'That's for boys, not for girls.'
And that's what they're learning, too.  :-\
And that is not awesome. When they grow up they might continue to be interested.
They are lucky that they will be able to come to you. Unlike me. Which leads me to...

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 10, 2016, 12:19:02 PM
Hey y'all...  just a note:  this is the "wargaming" section of the forum!  :D

We could, y'know, actually talk about, I dunno...  WARGAMES!

Go make yourself some pancakes with a single Hersey kiss...
Yeah. *whispers* "I see and read everything.
But seriously, what do you guys recommend for a beginner?
Someone told me about Commander, but anything else?

Hi lads and lasses , I really feel I have to jump in here and add my two penny's worth :) ...
Yay! This thread has been going for a while and I was starting to wonder. Where are the ladies?
Happy to see your response. My initial post was referring to face to face experience.
I have not been so lucky. So yeah, there is some anger and frustration in there.
I'm woman enough to admit that. But it's not directed at these guys. I hope they know that.
I was obviously comfortable enough to come out and share my thoughts.
I've been reading around for months.
From what I have read, it's not bad at all and they seem pretty cool.
That's why I could not help myself when I saw this thread.
I'm one of those people that reads the links embedded into people's posts.
I want to make sure I know what I am talking about.
And yes someone was nice enough to reach out to me.  :)

Oh and undercovergeek, I am Wodin. I looked myself up. Thanks.

LongBlade

Hi lads and lasses , I really feel I have to jump in here and add my two penny's worth :)
First of all hi crazy girl , nice to see a woman posting on here and sharing her opinions . But I have to say that after reading all your comments and everyone's replies I think you've made some wide and sweeping statements .

I don't post much , but when I have done ...EVERYONE  that has replied to me has been very welcoming and helpful and very friendly . I haven't come across one guy that's tried to hit on me , which is awesome because I'm here to learn about gaming . And most guys on here have women in their lives wives/daughters/moms soooooo I'm sure they know by now how to respect women  O0

I think you've not really given these guys a chance , you've started off with a very defensive stance and just assumed that guys on here will be horrible to you , instead of just making friends and then if you do come across someone that acts inappropriately , report it and it will be dealt with .....there is always the GROGFATHER and his associates after all monitoring 24/7  :knuppel2:

Hell.......one of the guys offered to teach you war gaming , and he didn't seem to mind that you are a beginner ...just sayin  :)

As for me , I read in the forums regularly , I'm learning a lot about what games I may or may not be interested in . I've bought carcassone and many add on's because of hearing about it on here , ok it's not a war game , but it's a lot of fun , great strategy and it's a beginning . I don't think I'll ever become a hardened war gamer ......ahem ...excuse the pun ....knowing you lot you won't  :2funny: but oh well , that's what makes you guys tick , that's fine by me  :D  goodness knows if this was a female dominated site there would be puns a plenty about gals and guys ......and maybe the guys would be feeling intimidated, and there'd have to be a GROGMOTHER , lol , taking care of business !!

Those are my thoughts on this subject .............fire at will !!!!!!  :P

Well said!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Crazy Girl on March 10, 2016, 01:35:39 PM
Oh and undercovergeek, I am Wodin. I looked myself up. Thanks.

lies  ;D

i see everything