So, Microsoft has decided to inflict a password lock on my system...

Started by JasonPratt, April 25, 2016, 03:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Still using Win 8.1 currently, by the way.

Thought I already had Skype on my Surface Pro, but when I checked it seemed not to be installed. Okay, I know I hadn't used it before, thought I had installed it anyway for later (i.e. now), must have forgotten, so I'll install it.

Unlike my home computer, Skype refuses to work after installation (or before, not sure which after the fact) unless I've registered for a Microsoft account. Okay. Since Skype works fine at home I figure I already have such an account, and try to log in. No. No. No. Noooooo.

Fine. I'll go to the trouble of making a Microsoft account. Password? Okay, Skype needs a different password for this computer I guess. Tippy-tap-type the password....

Now the thing has set up a One Cloud account. I did not want or ask for this, but Skype seems to demand it now. Fine, just get whatever.

Then the next time my Surface boots up, I now have a password screen.

Did not set it up. Did not ask for it. Nothing in what I read even seemed to hint that it was going to password lock my computer.

As it happens, my new "Skype" password unlocks the Surface.

I have looked everywhere trying to turn this off, or at least change the password to something else.

I find, quickly enough, the Power Option System Settings which dictate whether the computer requires a password on rebooting or waking or whatever.

"No password" radio button is already selected, and the password options are greyed out anyway.

Hatred for Microsoft increases by 15%.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Microsoft really love their users don't they?

Have you tried changing settings and manage account to sign in with a local (presumably still passwordless) account?

DoctorQuest

I had a similar problem with that .NET crap. It is worth googling your troubles. Odds are some geek found a regedit fix for your issue.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Staggerwing

Or one can 'just lie back and think of England Microsoft'...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

I did find the website for changing the password, only because when I typed it in wrong Microsoft gave me the address -- but no way to copy it for pasting later! There is no way to get there more directly in-system or a clue that it exists.

Once there I tried to find a way to turn the password for opening the system off. No such thing. I did change the password to something more generally applicable. I also saw that I could deactivate and delete the account, which presumably would also stop it from foisting a password lock onto my startup. I'm tempted to test whether this would mess up my Skype, since it isn't like I've done so much in it yet (nothing at all on the Surface, yet) that balefiring the thing would undo something important.

So far I've been too lazy busy to try it. And to be fair, I use my Surface for investment work, so I suppose strictly speaking it could use an extra password for operation.  :-\ :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!