So...OOTP 15 - Anyone in?

Started by JudgeDredd, April 17, 2014, 03:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Anyone getting this? I see it's running up to release with the highlight emails I've been getting.

I see they've offered 3D now...thing is, I moved away from playing every play for OOTP 13 - when they offered the real time simulation mode with the option to jump in. But I've never wanted to go into the game when they offered real time simulation.

I think as usual I'll either skip this iteration entirely or (like for OOTP14) I'll wait until it's on offer.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Yes, I will. 3D in the game is said to be very basic. It really just replaces the old 2D ballpark image, no player animations or anything like that - yet. I think it's a great direction for OOTP to take!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

PanzersEast

I've pre-purchased and waiting for release..... 3D will be added later as they felt it is not ready for launch but will release in a later update. 

I jumped in mainly because I have uncontrollable game purchases syndrome.

PE

bbmike

Quote from: PanzersEast on April 17, 2014, 03:33:21 PM
..... 3D will be added later as they felt it is not ready for launch but will release in a later update. 
PE

Wait, what? Where did you see that?!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

PanzersEast

Quote from: bbmike on April 17, 2014, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on April 17, 2014, 03:33:21 PM
..... 3D will be added later as they felt it is not ready for launch but will release in a later update. 
PE

Wait, what? Where did you see that?!

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-15-general-discussions/242442-update-ootp-15-s-current-state.html

QuoteHowever, there's one area of the game that we're still working on, and we've thought long and hard about it only to come to one conclusion: 3D mode won't be quite ready for prime time on OOTP's Opening Day. We've been feverishly working on it, and it's in really good shape in a lot of ways: You can import 3D models in various formats in the ballpark editor, activate 3D mode when playing out a game and view a 3D stadium that you can view through the defined cameras, and you can see the 3D ball flight and the player names and ratings on the field. The game ships with a generic fictional major league stadium and a generic fictional minor league park; those are ready to be used right away.

3D mode isn't perfect, though: The ball flight isn't always as realistic as it should be, and there are some other issues, including little things missing that we expected to be done for release initially (3D replay, special situations like ground rule doubles, weather effects etc.).

We never want any area of the game to be less than perfect, but unfortunately 3D will still be a work in progress upon release. We're trying to resolve the issues and improve the feature as fast as we can, but we won't be able to deal with everything by the 18th (or the 21st). We'd rather take this route than delay the release, especially since everything else in the game is ready.

However, as everyone around here knows, we always commit ourselves to improving our games through free updates after release, and OOTP 15 won't be an exception to that. We will continue to work hard on 3D mode after OOTP 15 ships and will put out updates as quickly as we can. We are dedicated to getting 3D mode into much better shape with every patch we release.

PE

bbmike

Oh, you had me worried for a second. I thought you meant there would be NO 3D at release. It will be there, just not entirely complete quite yet. I'll be okay now.  ;D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

I pre-ordered as normal.....sadly I expect that I will play it only a little like every year for some reason...especially after they parade patch after patch.....some day I will learn just to wait until the final patch is released each season.

JudgeDredd

To be fair I don't recall they're patches ever needing you to abandon a season...not like some games out there where you are mid way through a game and you're saves are useless.

Or....maybe I just haven't patched the game ever
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2014, 05:34:05 PM
To be fair I don't recall they're patches ever needing you to abandon a season...not like some games out there where you are mid way through a game and you're saves are useless.

Exactly, you are correct. That's what I love about OOTP. No patch has EVER broken any game I've had in progress.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bbmike on April 17, 2014, 05:38:24 PM

Exactly, you are correct. That's what I love about OOTP. No patch has EVER broken any game I've had in progress.

I didn't say it would break the game, but depending on the changes made, I always feel they could impact the career I have started....I would have wanted the change/tweak to be in effect from the start of my career versus being changed midway.....if they changed the way a stat was tracked or the impact of a rating, always leaves me wondering on how things would have been if they were there from the start.

I am sure it is just me, but when I dedicate my time to a long career play sim, I like to play it under the same conditions for the most part....likely does not concern everyone.

bbmike

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 17, 2014, 05:47:44 PM
Quote from: bbmike on April 17, 2014, 05:38:24 PM

I didn't say it would break the game, but depending on the changes made, I always feel they could impact the career I have started....I would have wanted the change/tweak to be in effect from the start of my career versus being changed midway.....if they changed the way a stat was tracked or the impact of a rating, always leaves me wondering on how things would have been if they were there from the start.

I am sure it is just me, but when I dedicate my time to a long career play sim, I like to play it under the same conditions for the most part....likely does not concern everyone.

True. Can't dispute that.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

sandman2575

Quote from: bbmike on April 17, 2014, 03:27:40 PM
Yes, I will. 3D in the game is said to be very basic. It really just replaces the old 2D ballpark image, no player animations or anything like that - yet. I think it's a great direction for OOTP to take!

On board for the pre-release tomorrow as well.  Agree that it's exciting OOTP is moving in the direction of 3D, although there will certainly be kinks in the road. 

Just an amazing simulation, all around.

PanzersEast

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: PanzersEast on April 17, 2014, 08:05:56 PM
Reviews starting to come in....

http://gmgames.org/2014/04/17/ootp-15-review-improvement-near-perfection-pc-mac-linux/

PE

Although nice to see some of the screenshots, seems like that was more of a walk through of features, mostly talking about what already existed in previous versions versus focusing on what was new.

98% seems a tad high for any game and not sure whether that represents a score based on the new features or just the game in general...seems more like the later.....but regardless, there is no denying it is the king of career sims baseball so scores don't really matter anyway:)

DennisS

I have been playing this game since 2002. It just keeps getting better.

If you are a baseball fan, and into sports management type sims, this really is the only option out there.

Sports Mogul is taking a run at this franchise, but to this point, the results generated by the Baseball Mogul games are just ... odd.