Harpoon 3 scenarios for the PlayersDB

Started by Herman Hum, April 06, 2012, 03:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman Hum

Over 31 new aircraft, ships, submarines, facilities, classes, countries, and weapons have been added to the Harpoon3 PlayersDB with the official Database editor authorized by AGSI.  The PlayersDB remains the only Harpoon database that actually works.

Get the PlayersDB-HUE on SubSim, HarPlonkHQ, or SimHQ.

Get the PlayersDB-ANW on SubSim, HarPlonkHQ, or SimHQ.

Get the PlayersDB on SubSim, HarPlonkHQ, or SimHQ.

Additions include:

Tu-22M3   Backfire C RUS 08|540kt
S.2B   Buccaneer RAF 88-94
F-15SA   Eagle KSA 14
MiG-31BM   Foxhound RUS 14|560kt
MiG-31   Foxhound RUS 82|1377kts
   Hawk Mk 53 UK 78
   Sea Harrier F/A.2 RN 00-06
C-27A   Spartan AF
   Tornado GR.4 UK 03
EF2000   Typhoon KSA 11

- countless changes and improvements guaranteed not to crash any earlier scenario built with the PlayersDB

Primum non nocere [First, do no harm] - Prime Directive of the PlayersDB.

Harpoon HUE users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon HUE Library

Harpoon ANW users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon ANW Library

Harpoon3.6.3 users can get the:
Complete PlayersDB Harpoon 3.6.3 Library

Don't forget the Supplemental images for the PlayersDB at:
ANW-and-HUE-Images

"Harpoon for Dummies" channel

Frequently Asked Questions

ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Herman Hum

A new video After-Action Report for "Trade Barrier (ASEAN) [MP]" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience. 

You can watch Trade Barrier (ASEAN) [MP]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Vnt03Nto4
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

Herman Hum

In direct response to:
Quotepandoraefretum

I have recently bought Harpoon UE. I am trying to work out the best version to play (if at all; with Naval War: Arctic Circle out maybe Harpoon has been usurped? or is Naval War not as 'deep' as Harpoon? what about GCB?).

Anyway at first sight, the number of versions of Harpoon is confusing, What should someone start out with (as of April 2012)?

HUE, I have read, has 240 anomalies, ANW slightly less, and 363 is the most reliable, correct ?
Does that mean 363 is bug free, or does it also have 60 or so anomalies ?
(363 does not have a screen resolution that suits my Widescreen laptop, nor can I get the ini installer to install ..(it cannot register 2 files))

So for a novice, like myself, is it going to make a lot of difference if I just use HUE ? With the complete PlayersDB are the anomalies in HUE a) resolved or at least b) tolerable ?
In other words which is the best Harpoon version considering I am using PlayersDB ? (considering i am a novice)

Lastly, manually editing the ini for 363, do I point the Battleset folder to BattleSet or Battlset (with Player'sDB installed)?
Where can I get info about what goes on in the ini with regards PlayersDB ?
http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1364#p1364

A new video for "Trying to work out the best version for a novice" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience. 

You can watch Trying to work out the best version for a novice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0wumsbXc0

Herman Hum

Another video After-Action Report for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel.

You can watch the complete Matrix Siege [MP] scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef5y6APsNgE

Herman Hum

Another video After-Action Report for Harpoon3 has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel.

You can watch the complete Those Futile Fjords [MP] scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFYL4nOo9n8

Herman Hum

The 17th NEW Harpoon scenario of the year!

Agendas and Oil
[/size]

UN Resolution 1847 has passed and the US is isolated from its traditional sources of oil in the Persian Gulf and former trading partners.  The only readily available supply lies in Venezuela.  Negotiations are underway with President Hugo Chavez in hopes that Venezuela will not honour her commitments to both OPEC and the United Nations.

This scenario was inspired by the Christoper Andrew Irvine's two-book series, "Dawn of the Crescent Sun and has been written for Harpoon3 and the PlayersDB with the consent of the author.

Author: Herman Hum

FilesOfScenShare   

[/size][/font]

Herman Hum

A new pair of videos for "Nigeria [MP]" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience. 

You can watch both sides of Nigeria [MP]:

French side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3igNq22iWw

Nigerian side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLOFNsv1R8

Watch them side by side to see how the battle unfolds for both players and their thought processes.

Herman Hum

You can watch the complete Sending a Message scenario:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4dGx-7CtHo

Herman Hum

Over 10 new aircraft, ships, submarines, facilities, classes, countries, and weapons have been added to the Harpoon3 PlayersDB with the official Database editor authorized by AGSI.  The PlayersDB remains the sole functional Harpoon database.

Get the PlayersDB-HUE on SubSim, HarPlonkHQ, or SimHQ.

Get the PlayersDB-ANW on SubSim, HarPlonkHQ, or SimHQ.

Get the PlayersDB on SubSim, HarPlonkHQ, or SimHQ.

Additions include:

Super Etendard M FR 96
Etendard IVM FR 62
Super Etendard M FR 09

- countless changes and improvements guaranteed not to crash any earlier scenario built with the PlayersDB

Primum non nocere [First, do no harm] - Prime Directive of the PlayersDB.

Don't forget the Supplemental images for the PlayersDB at:
ANW-and-HUE-Images

Herman Hum

A new video for "Katyusha Hunt [MP]" has been added the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help Harpoon players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience. 

You can watch Katyusha Hunt [MP]:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFKWkyOxEQQ

MarkShot

Herman,

I wanted to ask now that you have started this video series, have you succeeded in growing the Harpoon community?

PG went with video tutorials for BFTB versus more thick docs. I was quite skeptical of the approach mainly because the lack of the ability to self pace and that the thick Aussie accent might lose many non-native speakers of English. But I was wrong and they were very well received. It brought new customers who would have otherwise been on the sidelines.

So, what has been your experience?

Herman Hum

Quote from: MarkShot on June 07, 2012, 12:45:30 AMI wanted to ask now that you have started this video series, have you succeeded in growing the Harpoon community?

Even though it was neither our purpose nor intent, I think it has.

The publisher has openly acknowledged that Harpoon is one of their top-selling titles. Speaking for ourselves, before Harpoon for Dummies [HfD] existed, I think that we were already doing all the right things to support Players.

We created the only functional database, made scenarios for it, and delivered them all through a one-click executable installation file. User questions received prompt and complete solutions (and not the usual AGSI practice of answering a question with another question.)  Most importantly, we showed that there was activity with our constant stream of releases.  In business, this is known as 'Traffic drawing Traffic'.

The creation of HfD simply built upon the efficiency, span, and breadth of previous activities.  Videos allowed us to be more clear and precise in the delivery of the message thereby reducing user confusion.

Quote from: MarkShot on June 07, 2012, 12:45:30 AMPG went with video tutorials for BFTB versus more thick docs. I was quite skeptical of the approach mainly because the lack of the ability to self pace and that the thick Aussie accent might lose many non-native speakers of English. But I was wrong and they were very well received. It brought new customers who would have otherwise been on the sidelines.

So, what has been your experience?

I agree that videos have their limitations.  The BftB videos are superb in their professionalism and quality.  However, the Aussie accent can be hard to understand for non-native English-speakers. Also, the videos are exceptional in clarity, but they only function linearly; it is impossible to conduct a search or jump between related concepts. Therefore, a good manual remains irreplaceable.

We've tried to focus on two types of videos.  One is the direct and simple answer to any question.  This focuses the viewer directly on the problem and answers the question immediately.  Other videos such as AARs cover broader topics and show how the function, tactic, or concept might be applied in tactical situations.

If you want to know how Slitherine feels about HfD (and would feel about similar initiative for other games), you can contact Iain MacNeil, Director, Slitherine Software, via Wargamer forum. We did some videos for NWS' Steam and Iron, too, and they were well received by the developer.

MarkShot

I watched one of your MP videos yesterday (30-40mins).  Although it was somewhat too small on the iPad to fully appreciate it, I did find it educational and interesting.

I have a few hard copy Harpoon books along with my Fleet Tactics book which I'll be shipping to Taiwan.  Harpoon has always been one of those games I might pick up in the future.  Assuming that I get hooked, I know with its depth, I could be playing for a long time.

These days, all I am playing (very little free time) is some CMBB/CMAK.  They are comfortable and familiar.  I really don't have time for any learning curves.

I know if and when I pick up Harpoon that your video series will be indispensable.  So, I thank you in advance.

Herman Hum

I don't use an iPad so I have no idea if there is anything we can do to better accommodate or facilitate users.  If you have any suggestions, feel free to make them and we'll try to incorporate them into future videos.  We also make custom videos upon request.

CMBB/BO/AK are all on my list of games to learn.  Maybe you'll give me a match in the future.

MarkShot

I don't think there is anything you can do.  The iPad has a 10" display and you were probably recording on something much larger.

It doesn't really matter as the main points came across fine.