Gaming Table Kickstarter

Started by TheCommandTent, April 16, 2014, 10:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Little less than a week left.  I can't decide whether to go in on this one at the $30 level or not.  I would like to think I could make my own table but in reality it would help to actually have a real plan that works.  What do you guys think?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1374073278/folding-gaming-table-for-rpg-and-miniatures?ref=VE

A game table for you to build that is sturdy, mobile, and when it is folded up has a small footprint for storage!

Tabletop Gaming is fun and exciting!  The use of 3D printers and CO2 Lasers has given gamers a way to play beautifully fun and exciting games!  Now it's time to play these games on a beautiful game table that is affordable, mobile, and unique!

The Table!

This game table has been evolving for some time to help solve a few problems I have encountered over my years of gaming.  I am sure most of us have limited space to game in.  I have played many a game out in someones, and even my own, garage.  Playing on the kitchen table is fun but with todays games you run out of room quickly.  A dedicated gaming room would be fantastic but my living room is about the only room big enough for a 4 foot by 6 foot tale.  Using folding commercial tables with a piece of plywood on top has worked but who hasn't had the "earthquake" when someone bumps the table!

This table is made from select pine and folds up like a chalk board to have a very small footprint for storage.  It has lockable casters so that it can easily be moved inside or even outside the home.

I have made the top from 1/8 inch hardboard which I than covered in metal flashing used for roofing projects.  On top of that I used pool table felt to create the gaming surface.  By adding magnets to the bottoms of terrain pieces and gaming miniatures they will withstand the occasional player induced earthquake!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Barthheart

Looks like a nice table. I guess it depends on how handy you think you are. For me, $30 is kinda pricey for plans to make a table. I'm in the process of building one now from my own plans. Its going to be 4'x8', have an inside level and a cover you can play on. It will not be portable though.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

^Damn... I could get me a nice motorbike for that price!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Barthheart on April 17, 2014, 05:10:57 AM
Looks like a nice table. I guess it depends on how handy you think you are. For me, $30 is kinda pricey for plans to make a table. I'm in the process of building one now from my own plans. Its going to be 4'x8', have an inside level and a cover you can play on. It will not be portable though.

The "portability" is a huge plus for me and more importantly for the wife.  :)

Also when can we see pictures of your table in progress???!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MIGMaster

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 17, 2014, 08:21:32 AM

I am taking pics at various steps of completion.
I'll post pictures when it's complete.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Barthheart on April 17, 2014, 01:36:22 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on April 17, 2014, 08:21:32 AM

I am taking pics at various steps of completion.
I'll post pictures when it's complete.

TheCommandTent

Just over a day left and they just passed the $12,000 mark so now you get a bag of dice when you back the project.  I went in at the $30 level. 

TheCommandTent

Got the PDF of the plans emailed to me this past week along with a nice shopping list of parts and wood needed.  Now to find the time and space to put this sucker together.  In all honestly I might have to build it at a buddy of mine's house and use it there until I actually have room for it.

Double Deuce

I like the metal under the felt idea. Makes it versatile even in the upright/stowed position.

Nefaro

You can build me one while you're at it, too.  :P

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 02, 2014, 09:28:33 PM
Got the PDF of the plans emailed to me this past week along with a nice shopping list of parts and wood needed.  Now to find the time and space to put this sucker together.  In all honestly I might have to build it at a buddy of mine's house and use it there until I actually have room for it.

Pics! We want pics!  ;)

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Double Deuce on June 03, 2014, 09:06:09 AM
I like the metal under the felt idea. Makes it versatile even in the upright/stowed position.

I'm planning on doing this.

Quote from: Nefaro on June 03, 2014, 09:28:58 AM
You can build me one while you're at it, too.  :P

Good luck with that :)

Quote from: Barthheart on June 03, 2014, 10:49:41 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 02, 2014, 09:28:33 PM

Pics! We want pics!  ;)

There will be pictures but only when there is actually time to build it. :)

Double Deuce

Just got done measuring the game room. The 4'x6' size in the upright position will fit perfectly against the one open wall I have available but to open it out to use will require moving to the back living room as the game room will not fit it with a the other stuff I have in there now. Good thing it has wheels.