Patton's Best

Started by DennisS, April 12, 2014, 08:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I was just mentally comparing the situation to others.  I mean.. RAF was reprinted, for example.  Blackbeard.  Etc etc. Of course the reprints of the old stuff actually have some new flash, even if it's only new artwork and some rules revisions.  But many of them have extras.

Crap.  That reminds me.  I still need to play the new version of RAF.  Amongst others.   :-\  Too bad we can't purchase extra time, huh?  :D

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on April 17, 2014, 02:16:39 PM
I was just mentally comparing the situation to others.  I mean.. RAF was reprinted, for example.  Blackbeard.  Etc etc. Of course the reprints of the old stuff actually have some new flash, even if it's only new artwork and some rules revisions.  But many of them have extras.

Crap.  That reminds me.  I still need to play the new version of RAF.  Amongst others.   :-\  Too bad we can't purchase extra time, huh?  :D

Yeah, that's true.

Actually, while we're discussing reprints, Fantasy Flight just announced they're giving it another go with DungeonQuest. They've apparently revamped the entire card combat system to strip it down to basics.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on April 18, 2014, 04:55:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 17, 2014, 02:16:39 PM

Yeah, that's true.

Actually, while we're discussing reprints, Fantasy Flight just announced they're giving it another go with DungeonQuest. They've apparently revamped the entire card combat system to strip it down to basics.

Damn.  Figures.

I love the Dungeonquest remake, if only for the much improved quality of the parts.  The bad part about it was the new combat system's mini card game.  It didn't really add much depth to the combat but instead just made it drag on longer.  Luckily they included the two older combat systems as optional so I end up using one of the optional ones to keep it moving quickly.  The new one took way too long and that just doesn't fly for a fast-moving game when you have more than two players.

I doubt any new combat system will be very flashy, so I probably don't need to be sad if I miss it.  It needs a card add-on for more variety the most.

Nefaro

Scored the Patton's Best game from eBay, although I didn't get a great deal.  Didn't expect to since those always have a bidding war on them.  I didn't want to pass this one up since it was unpunched and looked unspoiled.  A big deal for someone who's an OCD hand washer.  Dirty/sticky used components make me cringe.  :-[

GJK

FYI: for those that can't score a copy of the actual boardgame, there is a VASSAL module that I did the graphics for and a ZunTzu gamebox that I put together for PB:

http://www.garykrockover.com/zuntzu/

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Patton's_Best

I don't think that I included all of the charts in the ZunTzu gamebox but the VASSAL module may have them.  If not, poke around BGG, the rules and tables should all be there.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Cool.. I need to d/l the Vassal & ZunTzu versions for those times when I feel like a quick game but already have something set up on the table(s).

Staggerwing

Gary, I might need a little help with a VASSAL project. Just a few pointers. Would it be ok to PM you this weekend?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Absolutely.  My VASSALizing may be a bit rusty but I may be able to help you.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Nefaro

Is "Panov's Best" a user-created set you can d/l and print?  Or is it an add-on someone sells?

I just received a near pristine copy of Patton's Best.  Happy I could find an unused one.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on April 23, 2014, 03:41:01 PM
Is "Panov's Best" a user-created set you can d/l and print?  Or is it an add-on someone sells?

I just received a near pristine copy of Patton's Best.  Happy I could find an unused one.

I posted a link to it somewhere on these forums a while back. There's also a Wehrmacht version out there.

EDIT: Aha! http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7954.msg196305#msg196305

Guderian's Best: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83185/guderians-best-v3? (have to log in to D/L)

Panov's Best: http://www.battlesmagazine.com/eshop/doc/6/BATTLES6_Panov-sBest.pdf

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on April 23, 2014, 03:41:01 PM

The T34/85 is a HELL of a lot more fun to play than the Sherman.

Panov's Best also includes even bigger uprated guns, all the way to 152mm.

It's nice to shoot at stuff, and not rely on a critical hit to penetrate!!!

Nefaro

Thanks for the links Stagger.  8)

Panov's Best looks even more fun than the original.

GJK

I just pulled out my copy of Patton's Best and am going through the rules (again).  I remember this being a really fun title.  I think that I'm going to try one of those variants as well.

I have an ebook of the rules/charts that I put together.  If anybody is interested in a copy of it, I can upload it and make it available for download.  For those that are having problems grabbing a copy of the game, this would allow you to play it via VASSAL/ZunTzu.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

Thanks for the work you did on this, Gary. Looks fantastic. I dug out my old copy of Patton's Best along with my Ambush! boxes. I was going to put Patton's Best on eBay too, but I think I'll hold onto it now. Looks like it would be fantastic AAR-bait. :)