Main Menu

New Rig Suggestions?

Started by skeptical.platypus, April 10, 2014, 11:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeptical.platypus

I am finally building a brand new rig from the ground up. I'll recycle a velociraptor hard drive and maybe the chassis from my current set-up. I want to be under $1k, but that includes monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse. I'd prefer to build it myself, but am not opposed to buying something off the shelf.

I've used Tom's Hardware in the past for graphic card recommendations, and I'd love advice on other sites to check out and your component suggestions.

Thanks!

Ok, I have some preliminary component identified:

Motherboard: ASUS H81M-K LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: GTX 760 2gig
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
RAM: 8gb ddr3 x1600

Still need to find a psu (probably 750watt just to be safe)

I've given up on the $1000 complete package, because I'm not sure how insane i"m going to get with monitors. Probably just one, but I understand the ladies like a two monitor guy these days.

The motherboard is apparently entry level (it should be for the price). I don't know much about MB's, but apparently what I am largely giving up with this board is overclocking and dual graphic card support. I don't and won't do ever do either of those, so I'm ok with that, but could easily be persuaded that I'm unnecessarily cheap here.

If I need to tighten costs from the above list, I can save $70ish by dropping to a 120 ssd, and $50ish by dropping to an I5 sandy bridge w/o onboard graphics.

Thoughts anyone?

The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

MIGMaster

XFX PSU's just kick ass and so do OCZ. I've had about 3 Corsair PSU's and they were great. I wouldn't look at any of the ULTRA PSU's - I had 2 and they had short life spans. I prefer a modular suppy in some smaller/mid-size cases keeps things neat and allows for better airflow.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: MIGMaster on April 11, 2014, 09:56:23 AM
XFX PSU's just kick ass and so do OCZ. I've had about 3 Corsair PSU's and they were great. I wouldn't look at any of the ULTRA PSU's - I had 2 and they had short life spans. I prefer a modular suppy in some smaller/mid-size cases keeps things neat and allows for better airflow.

Thanks! OCZ and Corsair are on my radar, and I'll check XFX out. I'm way out of touch -- I don't think I know what a modular psu even looks like.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

MIGMaster

A modular PSU has detachable power connects for individual components in the PC. You only need to use the number of connects you need. It looks like this:

A hardwired or traditionally wired PSU has all the connectors attached and they remain inside the system case even if you don't need them all. In some cases (if you'll pardon the pun) this extra wiring can make the case interior messy and inhibit air flow/good cooling.

Traditional PSU

skeptical.platypus

You should be congratulated on excellent punnery, not pardoned! "In some cases. . . " - lol.

And yes, I definitely need to get a modular power supply. Easily a third of the wires sticking out of my current one don't connect to anything.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Its been years since I followed hardware enough to be helpful. These days a generic i5 seems to have enough punch to do everything I want.

That tentacleless PSU looks great.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on April 17, 2014, 06:47:02 PM
Its been years since I followed hardware enough to be helpful. These days a generic i5 seems to have enough punch to do everything I want.

That tentacleless PSU looks great.

The anti-virus on the new machine will be at least informed by your suggestions here.

And I think you just invented a new cottage industry -- converting old tentacled PSUs into Cthulhu Elder God figurines.

srSheepdog

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 10, 2014, 11:08:39 AM
Ok, I have some preliminary component identified:

Motherboard: ASUS H81M-K LGA 1150 Intel H81 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: GTX 760 2gig
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB
RAM: 8gb ddr3 x1600

Still need to find a psu (probably 750watt just to be safe)

I've given up on the $1000 complete package, because I'm not sure how insane i"m going to get with monitors. Probably just one, but I understand the ladies like a two monitor guy these days.

The motherboard is apparently entry level (it should be for the price). I don't know much about MB's, but apparently what I am largely giving up with this board is overclocking and dual graphic card support. I don't and won't do ever do either of those, so I'm ok with that, but could easily be persuaded that I'm unnecessarily cheap here.

If I need to tighten costs from the above list, I can save $70ish by dropping to a 120 ssd, and $50ish by dropping to an I5 sandy bridge w/o onboard graphics.

Thoughts anyone?

Several thoughts!

First of all, you are absolutely correct in choosing the i5-4670K (or 3570k, or even the 2500k).  They are hands down the best gaming processors out there for the money, as hyper-threading (i7) is not a factor for gaming (at least for now).  Where you are killing me is by your statement that you won't ever overclock or use two GPU's. 

Overclocking - MUCH easier than you would think, especially with "unlocked" processors.  It really is free, stable, and hassle-free performance.  OK, you might want to spend $35 on a decent CPU cooler (looking at you, Hyper 212 Evo!).  Seriously, even if you have never even seen someone overclock a computer, it is ridiculously easy.  If you can post in this forum, you have enough computer skill.  Just google "Overclocking guide to 4670k", or whatever.

SLI/Crossfire - Multi-GPU configurations have come a long way, particularly SLI.  Get the single processor that you want now (GTX 760 is a solid choice, btw), and as hardware requirements march along, grab another used 760 off of ebay for cheap and voila, you are current again.  No magical programming or anything like that required.

Those points made, get a good mid-level Z87 motherboard that supports SLI.  I'm a big fan of Asus, but there are other quality mobos out there for less money, and the Asrock that I've recommended below is one of them.

I put the below together on Newegg...hopefully the formatting comes out okay when I post this.  Might be able to get slightly better pricing from Amazon on certain items.

Asus VE248H Black 24" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers                    $229.99   -$50.00 Instant   $179.99
- I own a couple of the 22" of this model.  Great monitor, and has $20 mail in rebate.

MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support                                 $269.99
- Whatever you do, do NOT get a GPU with a reference cooler.  Your ears will thank you.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE $129.99   -$10.00 Instant   $119.99
- This one is a semi-modular power supply...a  bit cheaper than a fully modular, but same Corsair quality.  Has $10 MIR.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory                                 $74.99
- Good quality, moderate speed, solid value

ASRock Z87 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard$189.99   -$35.00 Instant   $154.99
- The backbone of your system.  I am a big Asus fan, but that bumps up another $50, and this is a great mobo (and has an add'l $20 mail in rebate)

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor                             $249.99    -$40.00 Instant   $209.99
- Again, you could go 3570k or 2500k, but if you want new, this is the way to go.  Nothing touches the price/performance of this CPU.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan                               $39.99            -$5.00 Instant     $104.97
- Cheap and very effective.  Better than low end AiO water-cooling. 

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s TLC Internal Solid State Drive $189.99    -$35.00 Instant   $154.99
- SSD....because SSD :-)

Subtotal:   $1,269.90   -$50 Mail-In Rebate   $1,219.90

Yes, it came to more than a $1000.  No, you won't regret spending the additional 220 bucks.  While there is no such thing as a "future-proof" system, this one will serve you well for years to come.

srSheepdog

Now that I did the big and glorious (in my mind anyway) post on what new components to get, let's consider used parts as well.  I built my kids' gaming computer ENTIRELY out of components that I bought off of craigslist.  And it ran me $400...and $100 of that was for Windows.  What hardware did I get for $300?

AMD Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition 3.0Ghz - Overclocked to 3.6GHz
MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+ motherboard
8GB of 800Mhz DDR2 RAM (half OCZ, half G.Skill)
500GB Samsung HDD
MSI GTX 285 OC Superpipe GPU (later swapped for a new MSI R9 270X ($180) and a used Gigabyte 7870 ($125)...Crossfired them)
Raidmax RX-850AE (Most of Raidmax's PSU's are total crap, but this one is actually fairly solid)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Cooler Master HAF 912 case

I'll admit, not exactly cutting edge.  But for $300, it's was great. Only real downside was that it couldn't run DX11 games on the GTX 285 (though it would smoke DX9/DX10 games.  After I upgraded the GPU (admittedly $300 more), it'll run Crisis 3 pretty well on midrange settings at 1080x1920, and Crisis 3 is BRUTAL on hardware.  And the GPU upgrade has almost paid for itself by mining crypto-currency, so there's that.

Just like cars, you can get a lot more for your money in the used market.  But in the computer world, they are often just a good as when they were new, whereas cars may come with mystery stains on the seats....

My 2 cents, and just something to consider.

skeptical.platypus

srSheep, your suggestions are well appreciated. Your thoughts on why are very helpful, too. I may very well have some questions after I take a closer comparison to your very detailed specs and my less-so.

My objection to overclocking is merely that it's not something I have any experience with, nor have felt any particular need for. Any purchase I make in that direction would be uninformed and unwanted.

Dual graphic cards is not entirely out of the equation -- I just think they are more than I want or need.

Used parts off CL I'm definitely ok with. I upgraded my modem, router, and a got a wireless print server last weekend thanks to the kindness of CL strangers.

Edited to add: I think you've convinced me on the motherboard front, at least. Future proofing for at least the option of dual graphic cards make sense.

Edited again: You, sr, are a genius. I've tracked down a EVGA GTX760 4gb, NIB, off craigslist for $200.

srSheepdog

Glad I could help.  Feel free to hit me up with any questions that arise.  I won't pretend to be the All-Knowing-Guru, but PC's are definitely a hobby of mine.

Don't worry about whether or not to overclock...cuz I'm pretty sure that I WILL end up talking you into it!  LOL
Seriously though, just get an i5 with the K suffix.  If (when!) you choose to overclock later, it'll be simple and very satisfying.  Even if you never decide to overclock, the resale value is considerably higher on an unlocked (K) processor.

GDS_Starfury

I still think that for the money you get more out of an AMD cpu and that lets you spend more on other components.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

skeptical.platypus

@GDS Starfury, I'm very chip agnostic. I'm currently on an AMD cpu and gpu, and have always been happy with their price/performance point. If you were in my shoes and using the components above as a benchmark, what would you get in terms of an AMD CPU, GPU, and motherboard?

GDS_Starfury

this is what Im shooting for at the moment and the total price for parts comes to around $850.00:

board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233400

cpu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

hdd:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236244

I'll recycling my case, psu, monitor, video card and dvr drive.  I plan replacing the sound card, video card and monitor over the summer.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 20, 2014, 04:12:28 PM
this is what Im shooting for at the moment and the total price for parts comes to around $850.00:

board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233400

cpu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

hdd:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236244

I'll recycling my case, psu, monitor, video card and dvr drive.  I plan replacing the sound card, video card and monitor over the summer.

Thanks much. Any suggestions for a good video card now? Are you eyeballing a particular release in the summer? Any experience running a GFX video card on an amd mobo/chip?