new Warhammer game in the making: Tactical turn based

Started by Rayfer, March 26, 2014, 04:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

JasonPratt

^^ Such a thing would be far too awesome to exist, especially looking that good in the screenies. Therefore to spare myself the disappointment, I

I

...i want to believe...  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 19, 2014, 08:51:18 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 19, 2014, 03:16:19 AM
I'd understood it to be xcom warhammer

Clearly this should be a thing.  O0

Yes, it should.  In the meantime, I voted for adding WH40K: Chaos Gate to GOG. Linky It's one of the few games from the 90s I'd still play regularly if it were compatible with modern OSes. 

Dunno if that's possible but it doesn't look like anyone's gonna make a new one.  This upcoming one is just a 5v5 turn-based multiplayer arena game.  :-[

Great Ajax

Anxiously looking forward to this one as I played a few tabletop skirmishes.  The core of the game is based on a campaign in which you choose a faction and then choose the members of your warband.  Warbands range from six to a couple of dozen guys and each faction has significantly different play styles.  Customization of the Warbands include picking heroes and fodder guys as well as picking their starting weapons, skills and spells.  Skirmishes revolve around both defeating your enemies and making grabs at a mysterious meteorite substance that is randomly placed around the map.  At the end of the skirmish, your warband gets xp and gold for kills and collecting the meteorite bits which you can in turn buy new weapons, armor, skills, spells, etc.  Guys that die in a skirmish are dead for good and guys that are wounded can carry over to the next skirmish.  So there is quite a bit of strategy in managing your warband from match to match.

Trey

Nefaro

Quote from: Great Ajax on November 19, 2014, 10:30:48 PM
Anxiously looking forward to this one as I played a few tabletop skirmishes.  The core of the game is based on a campaign in which you choose a faction and then choose the members of your warband.  Warbands range from six to a couple of dozen guys and each faction has significantly different play styles.  Customization of the Warbands include picking heroes and fodder guys as well as picking their starting weapons, skills and spells.  Skirmishes revolve around both defeating your enemies and making grabs at a mysterious meteorite substance that is randomly placed around the map.  At the end of the skirmish, your warband gets xp and gold for kills and collecting the meteorite bits which you can in turn buy new weapons, armor, skills, spells, etc.  Guys that die in a skirmish are dead for good and guys that are wounded can carry over to the next skirmish.  So there is quite a bit of strategy in managing your warband from match to match.

Trey

Sounds like it could be interesting.  I wonder how they would implement a campaign of that via multi-player?

Being Warhammer Fantasy, and seeing Skaven in the vids (YAY Skaven!), I'm guessing the "meteorite bits" you're talking about is Warpstone.  8)  This could also imply that the Skaven rats (a faction?) can use it to mutate their troops into bigger nastier types and fuel more destructive mages?

Tpek

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

You can touch me now.

I SAID YOU CAN TOUCH ME NOW!!  :D

JasonPratt

(You're going to see me fumbling a lot and complaining a bit in the next several posts; if you want to see the post that first 'sold' me solidly on the game, skip down here.)

There are no options yet other than a few simple audio options -- well, not true, the game launches with an independent front end for video resolution and window. The game does screenie from fullscreen by the way. Why are an increasing number of modern games spacking audio on my system?? Not an actual problem for Mordheim per se, just wondering.

Four Tutorials.

So, you can use a gamepad? Hmm... (the little tail is faintly wagging around, hee hee)

Utterly drips atmosphere, but previous screenies showed that already.

Did I just end my turn while mouselooking around? I sure didn't click the right button for ending turn, and when I tried to unconfirm it I think I confirmed it instead.

Not sure where the possessed guy (human chaos) came from.

Combat attacks look nice but are a little quicker than my reflexes for screenshotting at the moment -- mainly because I'm paying attention to how nice they look.

The button prompts are not consistent yet about showing both mouse and pad button options, or about showing one or the other depending on which I'm using at the moment.

The game assumes I know what the hell the symbols along the top row mean. The designers call that the "ladder" for initiative, but that led me to look for a vertical list of something not a horizontal one. Now my guess is that those symbols represent the pieces on the board for both players, some of which have not been revealed to me yet, and I'm making an educated guess that the ratty looking ones represent my guys (since the tutorial has me playing skaven), but durned if I know which icons represent which pieces of characters or whatever.

Also, this guy looks a lot like a skaven wizard or something of that sort, but he can only attack with a knife. So why even have him in the tutorial at all?

Wait, sorry no, on closer inspection he's just an armored ratman with a club. Man, do I need to get off my diet or what??

JasonPratt

Music is portentious (portentous and pretentious ;) ) but nothing to write home about. Will probably turn it off. Some people may like it.

JasonPratt

I don't have a single solitary clue where Thanquee here is, in relation to anything else I've recently seen happen. If this game has an overmap or something, the tutorial doesn't care about showing me yet. I have no idea where to move or why I would move there. One might suppose from the previous screenshot that I was supposed to move to where I could do something athletic...?

JasonPratt

Okay, I don't know why Thanq only has two blue movement points instead of three (one is clearly blanked out -- maybe 3 is the max anyone can have?) but that blue circle in the previous screenie shows the radius he can wander around within without using a 'move'. Meandering around, I found a ledge nearby with a glowing jump-icon on it, and so there's the athletic action the game assumed I'd be doing this turn.

Beyond the ledge I can now see a battered street with a ruined house across the way, and several other jump-down icons cycling, plus what looks like an enemy standing with his back to me.

Pressing Q or E cycles through the actions available to me here, which are shown by the icons in an unintuitive way but I'm getting the gist of it now. I don't have a clue how this would work on the gamepad.

JasonPratt

Left-clicking selects the jump icon that I otherwise just selected with Q or E, and Thanq looks down the drop. The game already gave me a 78% success chance; now it tells me (in the upper right) that if I fail I run a risk of 3 to 18 points damage (apparently rolling 3 six-sided for damage totals on failure).

I left-click again to confirm the jump. Thanquee tucks his spear and shield away, and with a hilarious leaping roll (like an Olympian off a board) dives off the ledge...

...splat on his back!

I didn't quite have time to catch that on a screenie (from LOLing too hard), but here he is getting up.

Best game ever, 100 Wyrdshards out of 10!

Not even kidding: the game could fail now completely afterward, and I'd still like it just for those few seconds.

JasonPratt

Going back a couple of screenies, where I'm looking out over the edge to the... quay or whatever it is near the busted dockyard house (which is also down another level) -- I'll show it again for ease of reference:

Okay, how many ratmen other than Thanq are in this screenshot?

At least two.

I had no idea until I got closer to the obvious enemy. I went back and looked again, and they hadn't popped in or anything, they were there, just not marked where I THEIR OWN PLAYER could see them.

(On the other hand, I kind of admire and approve about opponents maybe being able to miss enemies in the background like that.)

Meanwhile, I had an option either to jump back up (finishing my second of two move points), which I was tempted to do just to see what might happen if he failed; but I decided not to push my luck for later in the round, and approached behind the Posse member instead.

I haven't finished my move yet, by the way. I could wander around inside that blue circle forever (presumably also into my ally's green circle, if I could reach it), as long as I didn't cross into the enemy's red circle.

Theoretically, sneaking up behind him or at least flanking him from behind would be a good idea.