Author Topic: Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front  (Read 66220 times)

Offline IICptMillerII

• Velites
Re: Graviteam Tactics: Mius-Front
« Reply #555 on: April 27, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
Well, I must be doing something right because I've had a string of tactical victories so far. Got the achievement earlier that is awarded for having a 3:1 casualty ratio as well as the one for killing over 100 enemy soldiers in a single battle.

The game is certainly aesthetically pleasing as well, and I really am enjoying the operational layer. Still struggling with some of the mechanics and tactical ai though. Progress is being made.

Offline Moreb

• Viking
« Reply #556 on: November 09, 2018, 06:24:39 PM »
Well, I must be doing something right because I've had a string of tactical victories so far. Got the achievement earlier that is awarded for having a 3:1 casualty ratio as well as the one for killing over 100 enemy soldiers in a single battle.

The game is certainly aesthetically pleasing as well, and I really am enjoying the operational layer. Still struggling with some of the mechanics and tactical ai though. Progress is being made.

What OP are you playing Capt?
When dongles fly? - mirth

Offline IICptMillerII

• Velites
« Reply #557 on: April 27, 2012, 08:24:46 AM »

I'm doing the Raid DLC, mostly for the winter conditions. I just finished the first operation as the Germans, ending it with a "Draw." Not really sure why though, because as best as I can figure I achieved my operational goals of opening a corridor to the 320th ID and relieving them in place.

I've started the second operation but I've only fought one battle so far. Slowly but surely getting more into it all.

Offline Moreb

• Viking
« Reply #558 on: April 27, 2012, 12:18:58 PM »
The victory conditions are one of the most arcane aspects of this series and something I also struggle to understand.

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #559 on: November 10, 2018, 01:26:48 AM »

I'm doing the Raid DLC, mostly for the winter conditions. I just finished the first operation as the Germans, ending it with a "Draw." Not really sure why though, because as best as I can figure I achieved my operational goals of opening a corridor to the 320th ID and relieving them in place.

I've started the second operation but I've only fought one battle so far. Slowly but surely getting more into it all.

You really canít please your commander.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #560 on: April 27, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
I usually play with one victory condition...kill. I donít always win, but itís certainly always a good time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline IICptMillerII

• Velites
« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »
I usually play with one victory condition...kill. I donít always win, but itís certainly always a good time.

The victory conditions are one of the most arcane aspects of this series and something I also struggle to understand.

Agree with both. What I've ended up doing is interpreting the operational goals as best I can and then trying to execute them. This is partially helped by the on-map victory locations, though as I learned with the first operation, holding most or all of them does not insure a victory. In the first operation I was able to open a relief corridor to the 320th ID, hold it against Soviet counter attacks, and evacuate the wounded from the 320th. At no point did the corridor get cut off or closed by the Soviets, so even though the game told me I only managed a 'Draw," I'm considering it a win.

I kind of like the wiggle room for interpretation with both the commanders intent for the operation, and the end results. I'm sure an interesting conversation could be had regarding the fog of war/friction of command and its (possibly unintentional) representation in the game.

Another point is that I wish the operations were both larger and longer. The lack of an editor really hurts the game here in my opinion. I would love to be able to open up an editor and throw together an operation myself. Not sure if the length/size of an operation is limited by the game engine or if the developers keep them small for simplicity sake. Granted, I have not played all of the operations offered.

Offline Moreb

• Viking
« Reply #562 on: November 10, 2018, 10:21:42 AM »
Hey Cpt, I'm sorry if I missed it, but do you own the Black Snow dlc?

Offline IICptMillerII

• Velites
« Reply #563 on: November 10, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »

I do not. The only DLC I have is the Raid DLC.

I may end up getting some of the other DLC's at some point, but not until I have a better feel for the game.

Offline Moreb

• Viking
« Reply #564 on: November 10, 2018, 11:20:47 AM »

I may end up getting some of the other DLC's at some point, but not until I have a better feel for the game.

If you are looking for a larger campaign, and you prefer the snow maps (as I do) Black Snow would be a good step. The Russians are tasked with a breakthrough in an area not well suited for it. Heavily forested and strongly defended, mined, and manned, the 28 turn op is a slugfest. Not quite the deep snow as Raid but still dark and cold.

I was thinking about the VC's in MF again and came to the idea that its ambiguity is something I like. You never know if youre doing quite enough. In my hex games of the past I always knew if I reach hex 39,68 by this time I would win. In MF, that certainty is not there.

As far as a better feel for the game, I still have much to learn. I talk of this game as more of an advocate and fan than as an expert. It's mystic, often times unnecessary imo, is something I still struggle with.

Offline IICptMillerII

• Velites
« Reply #565 on: April 28, 2012, 07:23:25 AM »

If you are looking for a larger campaign, and you prefer the snow maps (as I do) Black Snow would be a good step. The Russians are tasked with a breakthrough in an area not well suited for it. Heavily forested and strongly defended, mined, and manned, the 28 turn op is a slugfest. Not quite the deep snow as Raid but still dark and cold.

I was thinking about the VC's in MF again and came to the idea that its ambiguity is something I like. You never know if youre doing quite enough. In my hex games of the past I always knew if I reach hex 39,68 by this time I would win. In MF, that certainty is not there.

As far as a better feel for the game, I still have much to learn. I talk of this game as more of an advocate and fan than as an expert. It's mystic, often times unnecessary imo, is something I still struggle with.

I'll definitely look into the Black Snow DLC when it's on sale again. Sounds like it could be very enjoyable.

I agree that some ambiguity is nice, especially in Graviteam where it doesn't matter if you win or lose a campaign or not, you can still move on to the other ones.