D-Day at Omaha Beach - Solitaire AAR

Started by ArizonaTank, February 15, 2014, 06:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

Hi All,

I have started playing Decision Games D-Day at Omaha Beach.  So I thought I would do an AAR, because I really like the game.

While Decision Games does not generally support Vassal (bad marketing move in my opinion), they do allow a module for this game.  Great for me, because I don't really have table space to keep a game up on for more than a few days.

The Game

A solitaire game that puts the player in command of company sized units of the 1st Division on the East Beach (actually the left side of the game map since the map faces south), and the 29th Division on the West Beach.  The objectives are simple, get off the beach, and win by taking German strong-points called Widerstandnest (WN), reinforcement points and the four draws that lead off the beach.  The draws are major victory objectives.

The initial map, with first wave tanks queued to land, the draws are highlighted.

One of the basic mechanics of the game is that each of US units has a circle, diamond or triangle symbol on the counter.  During turn phases there are random cards selected for landing and German fire, the symbols then direct effects on units.  So during the landing phase for example, units with a diamond may drift five hexes left, while those with a circle lose a step. 

This is a typical card, with landing portion on top, events in the center, and German fire on the bottom.

Game phases:

For the landing phase, a landing card is drawn for each sector and the results are applied to the landing vehicles.  The landing card gives random results for each unit and symbol type.  The possible results also change as the game moves on.  Early turn results are more dramatic than later game results.

An event card is then drawn.  Events could be enemy reinforcements, smoke obscuring German fire, or the creation of heroes among many other possibilities. 

German fire is then conducted by drawing a fire card for each sector.  If a WN strong-point's color is pictured on the card, the WN fires on any unit in areas where it can bring intensive fire, or on units with one symbol in other areas. 

Then there is an engineering phase, where the player can clear obstacles and mines.

Finally, there is the US action phase.  Where the player moves and attacks German positions.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Turn 1:  0615  June 6, 1944

The landing plan calls for 32 tanks, B and C companies of the 741st  tank battalion to land in the 1st Division Sector,  and 32 tanks from B and C companies of the 743rd tank battalion to land in the 29th Division Sector.  These are DD tanks, or duplex drive Sherman tanks with collapsible canvas boat hulls and propellers to allow them to "swim" into shore.  The "plan" has them being dropped 6000 meters offshore and going in under their own power.  They are first to hit the beach so that they can begin direct fire against the WN positions.   

In game terms, each sector has four ½ company tank units.

The game's first lesson is that no plan survives contact with the enemy.  In the 1st Division Sector, for the 741st  Battalion, 2 of 4 units are eliminated.  Hitting mines, sinking in the rough seas, or taking direct artillery hits.  One unit is delayed one turn, the LCT commander trying to jockey his beast for a better landing position.  In the 29th Division Sector, one tank unit is eliminated, and the three others are delayed. 

Of the 64 tanks due to land at 0615, only one half company, reduced one step, makes it to the beach (about four tanks).  Not an auspicious start for D-Day at Omaha.

After landing and German fire, only one reduced step tank unit makes it to the beach.  Behind this lone unit, Turn 2's landing units are queued up to hit the beach...if they make it.

Historically, the 741st Battalion stuck to the plan and the LCTs released their tanks 6000 meters off the beach.  Most of the tanks sank in the rough waves, or when their canvas hulls were ripped by enemy fire.  Some hit mines and in the end, only a handful made it to the beach.  The 743rd Battalion was better off.  The LCT and tank commanders made a snap command decision, went against the plan, and  dropped the tanks off at water's edge.  Some of the LCTs were hit by enemy guns, but most of the tanks made it to the beach, although slightly delayed.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

The Beach

One of the brilliant things about the design of D-Day at Omaha Beach (DdaOB) is the subtle, but very important role that terrain and map location plays.  Each of the WN strong-points is color coded, and the map is marked with their field of fire in terms of intensity.  This is very realistic, because historically, the Germans sighted their weapons for mid-beach.  Rommel was apparently pretty confident, that the Americans would not land at low tide.  Who would be crazy enough to cross such a long beach?  But those crazy Americans did anyway. 

In game term, the color coded fields of fire have three circles, an open circle for very ligh "sparadic fire", a half filled circle for "steady fire", and a fully filled circle for "intense fire."  Target units, even armor, caught in intense fire zones, are almost certain to lose a step.    Most of the mid-beach hexes are covered with intense fire zones. 

But the map's terrain also has other subtleties.  For example, on the high tide part of the beach there is a seawall, or a shingle.  These areas provide some cover.  But the GI's WN objectives, are on the high ground overlooking the beach.  To get to these, so they can extract the German defenders, the US troops have to scale cliffs, or climb bluffs to get behind the fire zones.  The easy way is to go up slopes, but there aren't many of these, and most of the troops will have to climb bluffs before they can attack.

This is detail of the East Beach (1st Division Sector), without units.  Note the German Crosses with WN numbers.  These are historical designations, and many of these strong-points can be seen on the beach even today (Google an image of WN 62 for example).  Also note that the filled in circles represent "intense fire" zones and are color coded for their respective WN. 

This is the detail of the 29th Division Sector, the West Beach.

Turn 2  06:30

The first infantry units hit the beach.  Strong currents, confusion and smoke cause a great deal of drifting; mostly 2 to 4 hexes east.  One unit, I Company, 3rd Battalion, 16th Regiment (1st Division), lands far to the west, almost off the beach.  Now these guys face sheer, un-scalable cliffs.  Another unit, G Company, 2nd Battalion, 116th Regiment (G/2/116), drifts from the 29th Division sector into the 1st Division sector, putting it under command of the 1st Division.  The delayed tanks from Turn 1 also arrive to support the 29th Division.

The 29th Division sector gets a break as smoke obscures the two central WN strong-points.  Overall, German fire is very light.  No US units are hit in either sector.

However enemy fire does hamper the engineers from clearing obstacles in the east (1st Div), but they are able to clear two hexes in the west (29th Div).

During the action phase, movement is limited.  This represents the confusion of the early hours on the beach, as many units just tried to stay alive.  In the game, all infantry units are allowed to scramble to the the seawall or other protective terrain.  But once there, they stop.  The US is only allowed to take action with two units or stacks per sector.  Later in the game, HQ units, Generals, and Heroes will allow more units to activate, but right now, the options are limited. 

The newly arrived infantry units, scramble to get off the beach.

The first priority I believe is to try to keep causalities low.  The game can be lost if either of the divisions takes catastrophic losses.  So I use my actions to have the tank units bombard WN positions in hopes of disrupting them.  Four units fired, with only two good hits.  But that may be enough since both are central strong-points.  WN 62 and WN 68, each have a hex disrupted and can not fire them next turn (both of these positions have two hexes, so the undisruputed hex can still fire).

Not a bad 2nd turn.  Minor casualties, two WN hexes disrupted, and boots are on the beach.  But the WN strong-points are sighted to put down their heaviest fire mid-beach, so hell is coming.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Rekim

Great stuff AT. Have long been interested in this title. I just hope I'm able to find more restraint than I did while enjoying JD's RAF AAR. RAF sits unpunched in my den, while I'm waiting for another Butterfield title that I've preordered [Enemy Action: Ardennes] to arrive in the spring.

I love the way that John Butterfield is able to meld historical accuracy flavour with playability. D-Day looks to have both in spades. Looking forward to the next chapter.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Rekim on February 17, 2014, 12:53:36 AM
Great stuff AT. Have long been interested in this title. I just hope I'm able to find more restraint than I did while enjoying JD's RAF AAR. RAF sits unpunched in my den, while I'm waiting for another Butterfield title that I've preordered [Enemy Action: Ardennes] to arrive in the spring.

I love the way that John Butterfield is able to meld historical accuracy flavour with playability. D-Day looks to have both in spades. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Glad you find this helpful.  I really enjoy the level of detail and history in Butterfield's titles as well.  Best of all, the game is very playable. 

I went straight from reading Stephen Ambrose's "D-Day" to playing this game, and can see the game demonstrating the real history in the book.  The game is tense, and the player is constantly having to deal with a volatile and shifting tactical situation.  The game is also about stories and flavor.  The role of "heroes" and "generals" is important, but not overplayed.  In the real life D-Day, a handful of men, led small groups to take out key WN positions.  Also, the battle was probably the last time in US history, where general officers led small units against direct enemy fire like they would have in the Civil War. 

I didn't know about Enemy Action....thanks for that...I am thoroughly enjoying D-Day so will definitely buy it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Turn 3

The Divisions

1st Infantry Division: The Big Red One.  This is the oldest division in the US Army, seeing continuous service since 1917.  The lead regiment for the division on D-Day was the 16th Infantry Regiment.  This regiment was amalgamated with the 34th and 11th regiments after the Civil War.  Between them, the unit saw action at most of the major battles in the East, including Antietam and Gettysburg. 

The 29th Infantry Division was (and still is) an Army National Guard Division made up of units from New Jersey, Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia.  Because many of these had Civil War lineage, the Division was nicknamed the "Blue and Grey" Division.  The 29th Infantry was led on D-Day by the 116th Infantry regiment, headquartered  in central Virginia.  Because the regiment was regional, heavy casualties during WWII would devastate many of the small towns in the Shenandoah River Valley. 

Turn 3  06:45

Only minor drifting for the units hitting the beach this turn.  During the event phase, the Germans get reinforcements at WN62, in the center of 1st Division's sector.  But 1st Division also gets a hero; in this case Lt. Spalding.  This is good news, because now his unit F Co, 2/16 will be able to move and attack more easily taking a "free" action (ie does not count against the division's two action limit).

Hell has unleashed its fury.  The Germans in WN 61 and 62, in the center of the 1st Division sector, chop up L/3/16, E and F/2/16, and each of these units lose a step.  While typical infantry unit has three steps in this game, this is still significant damage.   

Then, just as Lt. Spalding* rose to inspire his men, he is cut down by German gunners.  Still his unit will be inspired by his death, and continue to receive a "free" action.

Detail of the 1st Division Sector.  The unit inspired by Lt. Spalding is marked, and approaches WN62.

In the 29th Division sector, two infantry units take step losses, F/2/116 and C Company of the 3rd Rangers. 

During the US Action phase, the infantry continue to scramble for cover, while the tanks fire at the strong-points.  No significant damage done to the Germans. 

Situation at the end of turn 3

Overall, a bloody turn for the US.  Five infantry steps lost due to enemy fire.  Losses like these can not be sustained for long.

*For heroes, the game uses the names of the real-life men whose acts of bravery helped the US units to get off the beaches.  In this case the real Lt. John Spalding, was from E/2/16.  Along with his platoon sergeant, Phillip Streczyk, he climbed the mined bluffs, and got behind WN62 to take it out.  He received the Distinguished Service Cross for his actions at Omaha.  Thankfully, the real Lt. Spalding survived the war and eventually joined the Kentucky State House of Representatives.  For reading about the real guy here is a great interview:

http://www.ww2lhawebpages.com/THEFIRSTDIVISION/HISTORY_SPALDINGINTERVIEW.html

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

weateallthepies

Picked this up for a song the other day so reading this really has me itching to try it out. Might have to be VASSAL too though, I'm not sure I can leave this set up anywhere at the moment.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: weateallthepies on February 17, 2014, 08:56:06 AM
Picked this up for a song the other day so reading this really has me itching to try it out. Might have to be VASSAL too though, I'm not sure I can leave this set up anywhere at the moment.

Definitely go for it.  Pick up a great book about Omaha as well... and you will be in wargame heaven.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Turn 4  0700

These are the cards drawn for Turn 4.  The two leftmost are the landing cards, followed by the event card, and finally two German fire cards.

The infantry continues to come in.  The water's edge is getting crowded. Only minor drifing in both sectors.  But one unit, an AA unit, takes fire and sinks before it gets to the beach. 

WN 72 and 73 are obscured with smoke and won't be firing (event card).  This is good news,

Enemy fire is thankfully not as withering as it was last turn.  In the 29th Div sector, 2/C/743 loses 4 tanks.  A bore sighted 75mm gun in WN70, picked off the steel beasts with ease.  While the tanks took it on the chin, only two infantry steps and two disruptions occur over the entire beach. 

The 1st Division makes the first US attack of the game.  WN62 is one of the few WNs that is partially on the beach and the US troops don't have to climb to get to it.  However, the GIs do have to attack across an open shingle, giving the Germans some advantage.  Using the inspired infantry, backed by tank fire, one of the two German units in WN62 is eliminated.  But the enemy still holds the strong-point.

In the 29th Division sector tanks manage to bombard and to disrupt WN 71 and 66.  But they are asking where is the promised naval gunfire.

The end of Turn 4.  The beach is getting crowded.  The US has made their first attacks.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

BanzaiCat

Great stuff, AT! I have this game as well, I just haven't done more than pull out the components to have a look. The map looks excruciatingly busy, but I've heard it works really well with the system and isn't hard at all to work with.

BTW, the 29th Infantry Division is a fascinating unit. It's nickname, Blue and Gray, comes from its roots from units scattered throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia (IIRC)...units that had roots in the Civil War, which wasn't too far in the past when it was formed for service in WWI. The book Beyond The Beachhead is a terrific read about this Division's history from its ancestry all the way through Normandy and beyond:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Beachhead-Infantry-Division-Stackpole/dp/0811732371

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 18, 2014, 08:40:01 AM
Great stuff, AT! I have this game as well, I just haven't done more than pull out the components to have a look. The map looks excruciatingly busy, but I've heard it works really well with the system and isn't hard at all to work with.

Glad you find this interesting.

Yes, the map put me off at first as well.  Then once I started to get into the gameplay, I realized how detailed and subtle it really is.  For example, there are several types of height change hex sides.  All require different actions from the troops.  Some are just slopes that can be easily climbed.  Others require two or three turns for the units to scale.  The various fire zones act like a type of terrain all to themselves.  Anyway, the map grew on me pretty quickly. 

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 18, 2014, 08:40:01 AM
BTW, the 29th Infantry Division is a fascinating unit. It's nickname, Blue and Gray, comes from its roots from units scattered throughout Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia (IIRC)...units that had roots in the Civil War, which wasn't too far in the past when it was formed for service in WWI. The book Beyond The Beachhead is a terrific read about this Division's history from its ancestry all the way through Normandy and beyond:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Beachhead-Infantry-Division-Stackpole/dp/0811732371

Great book recommendation.  Definitely putting on my buy list.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Turn 5  0715 hrs.

More infantry units landing.  Artillery units also starting to land.  Very little drift this turn, overall good landing results. 

The German's seeing the build-up on the beaches, send some reinforcements to each sector.  These stay out of the WN positions and back up the reinforcement areas behind the beach. 

German fire is again devastating.  First, 1/C/741 loses its last tanks to pre-sighted fire and ceases to exist.  WN 61 slices a step each from K/3/16 and L/3/16.  M/3/16 takes a step loss from WN60.

Catastrophic loss:  K/3/16 is now down to one step, and this represents the 1st Division's first catastrophic loss.  In the game, when standard infantry units lose their 2nd out of 3 steps, the affected division gets a catastrophic loss point.  In game terms, each division has a loss threshold of 8 up through turn 16.  Hit the threshold, and the game is over with a US loss.  So keeping infantry units intact as much as possible is critical.  This represents the idea that if casualties are too heavy, the US would call off the Omaha assault.  Omar Bradley admitted after the battle, that when casualties on Omaha were very high he came very close pulling the plug. 

In the 29th Division sector, enemy fire continues to hurt.  2B/743 takes a tank step loss in 29th division's from WN72.  D/1/116 also takes infantry losses from WN72, just as they landed.  WN66 takes out a tank step from 2/A/743. 

Despite heavy infantry losses, the engineers make progress clearing obstacles in both sectors, and some real gaps in the defenses are opening up. 

Finally, a successful US attack.  One hex of WN62 is cleared with a combined attack across the shingle.  The inspired F/2/16, along with G and E companies of 2/16, backed by tanks from 2/A/741 for heavy gun support, managed to dig the Germans out of the bunker. 

Turn 6  0730 hrs

The card deck is reshuffled as directed by the turn chart.  An easy, quick button click on Vassal.

Overall, the landing cards are not so bad.  One artillery unit lost a step, and another artillery unit is delayed.  The big news for the turn is the arrival of General Cota, the Assistant Division Commander for the 29th Div.  This is great news for the 29th Division, general officers are able to give free actions to any unit adjacent to them.  Now the push off the beach can begin in earnest.

The event card reinforced WN71.  Was hoping to see some more smoke or Naval gunfire.

German fire is bad again.  WN60 disrupts 1/3/16.  But the 29th Division takes it on the chin.  WN65 rips through the 29th Division sector taking out three infantry steps.  At the same time WN66 takes out 2 steps. 

The action phase is mixed.  While an attack on WN68 destroys the German units, it triggers a reinforcement action, and the German rush troops to the defense.  Also in the 29th Division sector, C company of the 2nd Rangers is destroyed trying to climb a bluff next to a WN. 

End of Turn 6.  Both divisions now are at 2 for catastrophic loss, and the Germans have lost two WN hexes.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Turn 7  0745 hours

On turn 7, the the tide rises, and units now land on the mid-tide line.  This is significant, because the Germans placed most their mines and obstacles to oppose a mid-tide attack.  In game terms, any unit landing on an obstacle hex that has not been cleared by engineers, will lose a step. 

While the engineers have made some great progress clearing obstacles, many still remain and casualties will be high.

There was not much drift this turn, but several units take a step loss as their landing craft hit mines, or take artillery hits while maneuvering around beach obstacles.  B/1/16, A, B, C and D Co.s of the 5th Rangers, landing in the 29th Division sector lose steps this way. 

The event card creates another hero in the 1st Division sector.  Pvt. Carlton Barrett who won the Medal of Honor in the real fight.   

Enemy fire is brutal this turn.

G/2/16 with Pvt. Barrett loses a step as it climbs the bluff to get into attack position.  WN 64 cuts down C and A 1/16 by one step, just as they step off of their landing craft.  E/2/116 just in front of WN 65, trying to keep low at the seawall loses step, causes a catastrophic point for the 29th.

Even though half of WN62 is cleared, the gunners in WN 62S rip another step away from B/1/16, while German AT guns take out four tanks from 2/A/741.

In 29th Sector, Rangers take it on the chin WN70 takes step from AB 2R and CD 5/R  CD 5/R having lost men to obstacles and now gunfire is destroyed on the very turn it lands.  WN 72 eliminates another Ranger unit, EF/5R and also finished off D/1/116.  WN66 takes step from M/3/116 and F/2/116 is also hit and eliminated.  Like the 1st Div sector, AT guns take out four tanks from 2/A/743.

Compared to the effectiveness of German fire, US actions seem weak.  General Cota directs tank fire against WN68 and gets a disrupt.  In the 1st Div sector, the inspired infantry attacks the rump of WN62,  but it has a strength of 3, so good protection and the attack has no effect, but the attacker F/2/16 is disrupted.

This was a very band turn for the Americans.  13 infantry steps and 2 tank steps, and 2 artillery steps lost to enemy fire or obstacles.  If this keeps up, it will be a short game.

Turn 8 0800 hours

D/1/16 loses a step as it lands due to obstacles.  Finally, HQ 16th regiment lands, this will help greatly in clearing the bluff.  The event card sees the Germans reinforcing the draw in the 1st Div sector where the Americans are starting to make progress.  The game almost feels like I am playing another person.

Enemy fire while heavy, is not as bad as last turn.  WN65 guns down another step from D/1/16 causing a catastrophic point.  This unit just hit the beach, and between obstacles and enemy fire, is almost eliminated on the turn it lands.  WN65 eliminates E/2/116 and C/1/16 is disrupted by fire.
2/A/741 takes tank hit is eliminated from WN62, 2/B/741 takes tank hit as well from WN62

WN66 takes a step from L/3/116, and the29th division takes a catastrophic loss.

During the American action phase, the attack on WN 62 brings German reinforcements, but they can't get to the WN.  WN62 is cleared

However tank bombards in 1st Div sector are inneffective.

In 29th sector, tanks bombard WN70 and get a disrupt.

Finally progress is being made.  WN62 knocked out in the 1st Div Sector, but the Germans have reinforced the draw.  29th Division getting ready to assault 2 WN positions, and losses are not as bad.  After a devastating turn 7, turn 8 gives hope.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Boggit

A really entertaining AAR. I haven't done much boardgaming for years (save for a couple of games... :-\), 97% of my gaming is on the PC/Mac, and this really got me thinking about it again. It looks both involved, but not excessively complex. Thanks very much ArizonaTank :) for sharing! :D I look forward to the rest of your AAR as it develops. 8)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Boggit on March 09, 2014, 11:59:41 AM
A really entertaining AAR. I haven't done much boardgaming for years (save for a couple of games... :-\), 97% of my gaming is on the PC/Mac, and this really got me thinking about it again. It looks both involved, but not excessively complex. Thanks very much ArizonaTank :) for sharing! :D I look forward to the rest of your AAR as it develops. 8)

Glad you are enjoying it.  I will start up again shortly...  Until a few years ago, I was exclusively a "PC" wargamer as well.  I grew up on board games, but switched to PCs early on.  Anyway, I started playing board games on Vassal recently, and this has really been the tool that brought me back to board based wargaming.  Several of the large game companies fully support Vassal:  MMP and GMT being two prominent examples.  While most of the old AH titles are available as well. 

The system is great.  It's free (but you can donate), and supports all types of board games.  It is very flexible, allowing for live play over the internet (many players use along with Skype for voice).  Also you can do PBEM, or go back and forth between modes.  You can also just use as a virtual game board.  Great for people like me who don't have space to leave a board up while I play solitaire.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you check it out:
www.vassalengine.org

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"