LnL Heroes of Stalingrad - Why Not?

Started by JudgeDredd, February 13, 2014, 04:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

AMBUSH!

I will be playing the Partisans

Turn 1

Initiative
So Turn 1 initiative rolls show Germany 2 - 1 Partisans - Germany has the initiative in Turn 1

Rally Phase
Germans - no rally
Partisans - no rally - I click Finished to move to the first turn
1st Turn after all!

Operations Phase
Phase 1 - Germans
Lt Koch and 2x1-6-4 with 1xMG34 move from D3 to E3

Play stops to allow the Partisan Scout unit in G2 to opportunity fire. I choose to do so. I click the FIRE button

Not good. A roll of 1 will get me nowhere...and does so...

The same units continue their movement from E3 to G4
Play stops again to allow the Partisan units in the building at I4 to opportunity fire. The units are 2x0-3-4 and 1xMolotov Cocktail. I choose not to do so this time and click the Pass button.

The Germans continue into my trap and move from G4 to H4.

Play stops again for opportunity fire and I take it this time with the same units as I had passed previously.
NB - The reason I passed the first time was because the Molotov Cocktail was not usable (having a range of 1)...so I waited for the Germans to close
The Partisans open up...not bad - ALOT of positive modifiers.

The Germans roll 3 - and with no modifiers, gives me a +6

Each German unit needs to roll to check for casualties. The way this works is
(Partisan roll + modifiers) - (German roll + modifiers) = +6 to Partisans
For each unit, 1 D6 is rolled. +6 is added to the roll and if the modified roll is greater than the units morale, it's SHAKEN. If the value is greater than or equal to twice the units morale, the unit takes casualties
Lt Koch is first...and he rolls a 5 +6 gives 11...SHAKEN

Next is one of the 1-6-4 Squads...a roll of 4 +6 gives 10...CASUALTIES...the squad is reduced

Now the last squad. A roll of  6 +6 gives 12...CASUALTIES...the squad is reduced

Lt Koch decides retreat is the best idea and continues movement away from the Partisan attacking unit.

Phase 2 - Partisans
I move 1xHero, 2x0-3-4 squads, 1xMolotov Cocktail and 1xDP 28 from I6 to H3 through H4.
As the Partisans go through H4 the German units will surrender and the Partisan units have to stop because they are considered In Melee

Phase 3 - Germans
Sgt Baumann and 2x1-6-4 squads open up on the Partisan Scout in G2
Phase 1 - Partisans
I move 1xHero, 2x0-3-4 squads, 1xMolotov Cocktail and 1xDP 28 from I6 to H3 through H4.
As the Partisans go through H4 the German units will surrender and the Partisan units have to stop because they are considered In Melee

The Partisan defence roll...

SAFE!

Phase 4 - Partisans
The Partisans move 1x0-3-4 unit from I7 to G5 to deal with Lt Koch

And he's gone...

Phase 5 - Germans
1xMedic, 3x1-6-4 and 1xMG34 in B4 attack the Partisan Scout in G2

This chance the Scout defence doesn't hold and there's a chance for casualties

But they survive the onslaught.

Phase 6 - Partisans
2x0-3-4, 1xDP 28 and 1x14.5 PTRS move from K4 to I3

Phase 7 - Germans
1xPZIVF1 in C4 opens up on the Partisan Scout unit again! It opens up with it's main gun (you can tell that by the red dice) and misses

Then it opens up with it's machine gun...

Defence roll

The attack succeeds and the unit is SHAKEN

Phase 8 - Partisans
Elana moves from hex K6 to I4

Phase 9 - Germans
1xSd222 in C4 opens up on the poor Scout unit again using it's main armament and misses

It then opens up with it's MG...

Defensive roll is...

And it's a miss...he's a lucky wee scout!

Phase 10 - Partisans
2x0-3-4 moves from K6 to H5

Phase 11 - Germans
1xSd222 in C4 opens up on the Scout unit using it's main armament and misses

Phase 12 - Partisans
0-3-4 squad moves from I7 to H6

Now both sides pass, chits are cleared and Turn 2 starts!
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Go JD! Watch though... Them Germans are tricky....

Oh and play on the manly level of Hard... That way you play just like the board game.

JudgeDredd

I've played this scenario 4 times now and not won once!

I keep doing things I kind of forgot in the board game...picking up weapons on the rally phase for example, or closing when I don't have to.

This is definitely going to help build the rules into my head for the board game, which I am likely to get out more often after playing this I think.

I was a bit disappointed to see Lt Koch going so far, so early and so foolishly forward like that.

I look forward to playing this online.
Alba gu' brath

Gerry

Hello All:

Seems poor play by the AI to rush Lt. Koch and stack forward on its own into open ground too. Why not use the H3 hex so they would have the cover of the building at least. Meanwhile there is a huge stack at the back in B4 along with the tank so Koch gets massacred on his own without support.

Is there some part of the game mechanism that meant those guys at the back couldn't also do something on Turn 1?

Thanks for doing the AAR.

Gerry

Richie61

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 13, 2014, 05:38:42 PM
I've played this scenario 4 times now and not won once!

LOL! I must have played this scenario 10 times at least during beta testing and never won it  ;D Fun scenario either way!!!  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gerry on February 13, 2014, 10:16:39 PM
....Is there some part of the game mechanism that meant those guys at the back couldn't also do something on Turn 1?....
Well...only one unit can be activated in any one phase of any turn. Exception - when a leader is activated...all units in immediate surrounding hexes around the leader can also activate.

So in answer to your question, those units couldn't do something after that unit activated and moved...however, the AI could've (should have?) chosen to put those units in a better supporting position before making such a move.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Hello All:

Seems poor play by the AI to rush Lt. Koch and stack forward on its own into open ground too. Why not use the H3 hex so they would have the cover of the building at least. Meanwhile there is a huge stack at the back in B4 along with the tank so Koch gets massacred on his own without support.

Is there some part of the game mechanism that meant those guys at the back couldn't also do something on Turn 1?

Gerry

Gerry,

The AI plays under the same rules as the player so it would not have seen JD's units waiting in ambush. If he had fired earlier and  not done any damage the IA would have veered off into protective terrain.
The AI also knows the victory conditions and one of Partisan conditions is to get at least 2 units off the map. Since the scout revealed itself when op firing at the Germans, and it's close to the exit hexes the AI chose to fire on it with the rear most units to try and stop it's exit. It could have ignored the scout and moved those units but it can't do both.

Does all that make sense?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on February 14, 2014, 08:28:59 AM
Hello All:

Gerry

Gerry,

The AI plays under the same rules as the player so it would not have seen JD's units waiting in ambush. If he had fired earlier and  not done any damage the IA would have veered off into protective terrain.
The AI also knows the victory conditions and one of Partisan conditions is to get at least 2 units off the map. Since the scout revealed itself when op firing at the Germans, and it's close to the exit hexes the AI chose to fire on it with the rear most units to try and stop it's exit. It could have ignored the scout and moved those units but it can't do both.

Does all that make sense?

I always forget (because I can fully see my units) that the opponents can't see them. I think an indicator to show they are not visible (for me as a player and for my units) would be good.
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 14, 2014, 08:30:45 AM
I always forget (because I can fully see my units) that the opponents can't see them. I think an indicator to show they are not visible (for me as a player and for my units) would be good.

Yeah that might be useful... not sure how to indicate that though... You should suggest that at Matrix.

JudgeDredd

Turn 2

Initiative
Turn 2, as with all turns, starts with the initiative roll...this time it's the Partisans who win initiative (highest roll)

Rally Phase
Partisans
Scout
Scouts can self rally (not requiring a leader or hero in the same hex). Also because I only have the one unit to rally, I use the bonus call of For The Motherland. This gives a -1 on your roll check for Morale. The For the Motherland bonus can only be used once per turn, so it's sometimes prudent to use it where more units in a hex can be affected by it (it's a bonus for the hex, not the unit)

As you can see the Scout also gets a -2 modifier for terrain...giving a total of -3 off a 2D6 roll. A roll of 8 - 3 modifiers is less than the Morale value for the scout and therefore he is rallied

During the rally phase, units can pick up discarded enemy weapons. I can't recall if Hero's are allowed to do so, but even if they are, I forgot to do so. But I have other plans for the weapon on the ground anyway.

This is the map at the start of Turn 2

Operations Phase

Phase 1 - Partisans
The Partisans activate the leader Elena in I4. This activates all units around her within one hex.

The Partisans move 1xHero - Morosov and 2x0-3-4 squads with their Molotov Cocktail and DP 28 support weapons to the wooden house in F4. The idea here is two fold...to have good LoS to the houses in D4 and D5 and also to try and draw fire from Sgt Baumann and his squad.

This does indeed draw fire. The roll for fire is pretty poor.

You will notice that the Partisans did not go through G5 - that's because there is a Partisan unit already in there and there are stacking limitations (they allude me...but I know not more than 2 Squads)

Defence roll...even worse

First the Hero Morosov is checked for a hit...he survives

Next is the turn of one of the 0-3-4 squads - and that's better for the Germans...SHAKEN

The second squad is a bit luckier

Because one of the squads was successfully shaken, it has to stay put. Morosov and the good order 0-3-4 units move into the wooden building.

Because Elena activated all squads around her, I move the 2 0-3-4 squads with their 14.5 PTRS and DP 28 from I3 to H3

I also move Elena and her 2 0-3-4 squads from I4 to H4 - this is in preparation for the next rally phase where one of the squads can claim the MG34

I'm done now so I click Finished

Phase 2 - Germans
So the Germans move their Pz IVF1 from C4 to D3 and open up on Morosov and the 0-3-4 squad in F4 -but it's a bad roll...and a miss

It then opens up with it's MG

Defender roll is...a hit

Next to check for damage for Morosov

Miss!

And now the 0-3-4 squad

Miss!

Phase 3 - Partisans
The Partisans move 0-3-4 squad into ...this is in the hope of picking up the Molotov Cocktail next rally phase (it is kind of a risky move for a molotov cocktail!)

Phase 4 - Germans
The Germans open up with their Sd222 main weapon on the units in G4 - and MISS!

They next open up with their MG

And the defensive roll...

Now check for hits
First against the shaken 0-3-4

And it's a hit...they take casualties (because they were already shaken)

And next against the good order 0-3-4

And they are now SHAKEN...I said it was risky!

Phase 5 - Partisans
The Scout in G2 opens up on Sgt Baumann and his squads

Defensive roll...possible damage...check for hits

Sgt Baumann is check first

A hit is good...it means his leadership value cannot help the other squads

Next one of the 1-6-4 squads - they survive

And the final 1-6-4 squad - SHAKEN!

That was a good result from a scout!

Phase 6 - Germans
The 3 1-6-4 squads with their MG 34 and 1 Medic in B4 open up on the Scout in G2...it's a pathetic roll really.

Defensive roll is good and the scout is safe!

Phase 7 - Partisans
PASS

Phase 8 - Germans
The German Sd222 in C4opens up again on the units in G4 and this time it's a hit!

Damage roll...

Defensive roll...No Effect!

Phase 9 - Partisans
PASS

Phase 10 - Germans
PASS

Phase 11 - Partisans
PASS

3 passes in a row ends the turn...and this is how it's looking

Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Looking good JD.

Yes Heroes can carry and use support weapons but they lose 2 movement points and forfeit their inherent firepower if they fire the support weapon.

bob48

Does it also reduce the SW firepower by half if fired by an SMC?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on February 14, 2014, 09:09:31 AM
Does it also reduce the SW firepower by half if fired by an SMC?

For leaders, yes, since they don't have an inherent FP.

Also picking up and using enemy support weapons is at 1/2 FP.

PS. Get the game and find out!  ;)

JudgeDredd

Turn 3

Initiative
Turn 3 initiative roll...and it's back to the Germans

Rally Phase
Germans
Sgt Baumann manages to rally himself, which is good news for the Shaken squad in his hex

The 1-6-4 squad is also rallied

Partisans
I have units requiring rallying in G4, but with no leader, medic or hero, I cannot rally them.

What I can do is pick up the MG34 lying in H4
I do so by clicking and dragging the MG34 onto one of the squads

This is the map at the start of the Turn 3

Operations Phase

Phase 1 - Germans
Unfortunately because I saved between the end of the German rally phase and start of the Partisan phase, the game seems to have switched to the initiative being for the Partisans. I've reported it as a bug.
What I have done, is Pass on this turn to hand it back to the Germans.
Sgt Baumann and 2 1-6-4 squads in E4 open up on the hero Morosov and the 0-3-4 squad with it's DP 28 in F4

The defensive roll is good...

Phase 2 - Partisans
Hero Morosov has a Deadly Skill card

Hero Morosov and the 0-3-4 squad with their DP 28 in F4 open up on Sgt Baumann and the 2 1-6-4 squads in F4

And the German defender roll...

Damage check...
First for Sgt Baumann...SHAKEN!

And the 1-6-4 squad...CASUALTIES!

And the last 1-6-4 squad...SHAKEN!

Not a bad outcome at all

Phase 3 - Germans
The German Sd222 moves from C4 to D3 and opens up on the two shaken Partisan squads in G4...MISS!

And the Defenders roll...

Damage check on the first Partisan unit...CASUALTIES!
As this squad was a Half Squad, it is eliminated

And for the next Partisan squad...CASUALTIES!
This squad was a full squad so becomes a half squad.

Phase 4 - Partisans
The Scout in G2 opens up on Sgt Baumann and the 2 shaken squads in E4

And the defender roll...

No result.

Phase 5 - Germans
The 2 1-6-4 squads with their MG34 and Medic in B4 open up on the Scout in G2

And the defender roll is good...

Phase 6 - Partisans
The 0-3-4 squad with the DP 28 in H3 opens up on Sgt Baumann and the 2 shaken squads in E4

The defence roll is rubbish...meaning casualties

First check for casualties on Sgt Baumann - and he's WOUNDED!

Next, one of the two shaken squads...CASUALTIES and they are removed as they were a half squad.

And the last squad...CASUALTIES.

Because the last German shaken squad rolled a one, they get the chance for a Hero. A even D6 roll sees a hero generated

The hero is Tank Killer Skill Card

Next, the 0-3-4 squad in H3 opens up with it's on the German Sd222 in D3 and it's a hit!

With an Penetration roll of

And an Armour roll of

There's no hit.

A morale check is required...and it's failed.

Phase 7 - Germans
The German Pz IVF1 in D3 opens up on Elana and the two 0-3-4 squads in H4 - and it's a HIT!

Attackers roll...It's not looking good...

Defenders roll...good...but still...

Damn...Elana is SHAKEN!

As is the first 0-3-4 squad

And the last 0-3-4 squad!

Next it opens up with it's MG

Defender...Oh Dear!

Damage check for Elana - WOUNDED!

Damage check for 0-3-4 - CASUALTIES! and reduced to a half squad

Damage check for 0-3-4 - CASUALTIES! and reduced to a half squad

Phase 8 - Partisans
PASS #1

Phase 9 - Germans
PASS #2

Phase 8 - Partisans
PASS #3

3 passes in a row ends the turn...and this is how it's looking at the end of Turn 3

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Turn 4

Initiative
Turn 3 initiative roll...and it's the Partisans this time.

Rally Phase
Partisans
I select the hex with Elana in H4 and she plays the For The Motherland bonus...which removes 1 from a 2D6 morale roll.

She manages to rally herself

Unfortunately the 0-3-4 squad with the MG34 is not rallied

As does the other squad. That isn't great news!

NB - having the units in cover would help the morale check...they will be moving into cover on the first turn!

Germans
Sgt Baumann in E4 tries to rally - and fails

And the 1-6-4 squad fails also

NB - Sgt Baumann and the Hero Frei do not have Leadership values, so give no bonus to the squad

The Sd222 tries to rally...and also fails

This is the map at the start of the Turn 4

Operations Phase

Phase 1 - Partisans
Elana and the 2 shaken squads in H4 low crawl to I4
NB - Low Crawl allows units to move without being automatically spotted...unless they are in Open Terrain. Elana is in open terrain, but she is moving to cover...but I do not think the Low Crawl applies

NB - Turns out she wasn't in LoS of anything but the Hero Frei anyway - and he didn't open fire. But I don't know if that's because she was low crawling or whether he just didn't open up

Phase 2 - Germans
Hero Frei in E4 opens up on F4 containing the Hero Morosov and a 0-3-4 squad with a DP 28

They are hit...

..so lets check damage
Morosov is wounded

But the squad escapes unharmed

Phase 3 - Partisans
Morosov and the 0-3-4 squad with their DP 28 in f4 open up on Hero Frei, Sgt Baumann and the shaken squad in E4

There's going to be some casualties here...

Sgt Baumann is wounded...but as the roll is more than twice value, he is killed (suffers two hits)

Frei is wounded

And the squad suffers casualties. As it was a half squad anyway, it is eliminated

Phase 4 - Germans
The Sd222 moves from D3 to D2 - presumably for cover (trees) and the terrain modifier of +3

Phase 5 - Partisans
The Scout in G2 opens up on the Hero Frei in E4

He's a hero for a reason...Survives!

Phase 6 - Germans
The Germans open up with considerable firepower from B4 with a Medic, 3 1-6-4 squads and a MG34 on the Scout in G2

That Scout is one lucky sob!

Phase 7 - Partisans
The 0-3-4 squad with the 14.5 PTRS in H3opens up on the Sd222 in D2...a misses

The other Partisan squad with the DP 28 can also open up...and at a different unit - so it attacks the Hero Frei
NB - sorry - highlighted the Sd222 instead of Frei!

There is a chance of wounding the hero...

And he survives

Phase 8 - Germans
The German Pz IVF1 attacks the Hero Morosov and the shaken squad in F4 and misses

And it looks promising

Morosov is wounded (and therefore eliminated as he was already wounded)

and the 0-3-4 squad is SHAKEN!

Phase 9 - Partisans
PASS #1

Phase 10 - Germans
The Germans move 3 1-6-4 squads forward from A5 to D4

They're closing in!

Phase 11 - Partisans
PASS #1

Phase 10 - Germans
PASS #2

Phase 11 - Partisans
PASS #3

3 passes in a row ends the turn...and this is how it's looking at the end of Turn 4
Alba gu' brath