Net Neutrality Struck Down

Started by LongBlade, January 14, 2014, 01:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

A US Appeals court has struck down net neutrality.

QuoteIn its ruling against the FCC's rules, the court said that such restrictions are not needed in part because consumers have a choice in which ISP they use.

"Without broadband provider market power, consumers, of course, have options," the court writes. "They can go to another broadband provider if they want to reach particular edge providers or if their connections to particular edge providers have been degraded."

source: http://news.yahoo.com/u-appeals-court-kills-net-neutrality-152413671.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

so will they revisit the ruling once the inevitable market consolidation starts reducing broadband ISP options?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 14, 2014, 01:30:37 PM
so will they revisit the ruling once the inevitable market consolidation starts reducing broadband ISP options?

that's the funniest thing I've read here in a while :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 14, 2014, 01:30:37 PM
Hey, you're psychic!  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Aw.  There goes some of your aura of mystique.  :( 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Yes, but you can't detect it when you live in a flyover state. 

Greybriar

Quote from: LongBlade on January 14, 2014, 01:25:25 PM
A US Appeals court has struck down net neutrality.

QuoteIn its ruling against the FCC's rules, the court said that such restrictions are not needed in part because consumers have a choice in which ISP they use.

"Without broadband provider market power, consumers, of course, have options," the court writes. "They can go to another broadband provider if they want to reach particular edge providers or if their connections to particular edge providers have been degraded."

source: http://news.yahoo.com/u-appeals-court-kills-net-neutrality-152413671.html

I wonder how much money it cost the cable companies for that decision.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

airboy

I read this in the Wall St. Journal and it is potentially very significant for Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and a couple of others.

Netflix is now taking up more than 30% of the bandwith on digital cable internet.  Youtube is about 18%.  If your cable (or other high speed internet provider) chooses, they can slow down the delivery of Netflix unless Netflix pays for faster delivery.

Netflix & Youtube have essentially been free riding by taking up a huge proportion of high speed internet usage. 

Nobody knows at this point how it will work out.  But the big players are Netflix, Youtube and high speed internet providers.

BanzaiCat

That really sucks if they end up putting brakes on for no reason.

I mean, if customers want to watch Netflix with their high-speed Internet, they'll watch Netflix. They pay the service provider to give them what they want/need. That provider should have little to say, if anything, about how that bandwidth is used. It's theirs, they're already paying for it.

bayonetbrant

they can also de-prioritize traffic coming from overseas, which might cut into guys like me reading British papers for soccer news, but also cuts into overseas 'hosting' sites like Pirate Bay and anything hosted at .ru
Then again, it might also slow down botnets hosted overseas