Next Scourge of War Project

Started by HistoricalGamer, January 10, 2014, 07:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: HistoricalGamer on January 10, 2014, 10:02:02 PM
Norb "we have plans to return to the American Civil War but not until after Waterloo"

Bummed about that being put on hold....was hoping it limped along too

GDS_Starfury

developer supported modding is a great thing.  some of my most loved games have had the largest mod communities despite being difficult to do.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Dolan50 on January 10, 2014, 08:01:35 PM
That's what I was thinking.
Looks like a Waterloo battlefield.

I'm late to the party but Napoleon era is also the first thing that popped into my mind.

Now, if they would do the Franco-Prussian War...

... followed by Boer War, S-A War, R-J War, and finally...  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

HistoricalGamer

Stag they said they want to open the game up as much as possible and if a user wants a battle they want them to be able to recreate that battle. Now how well an engine built for Civil War / Napoleonics will fit into a Franco Prussian war I don't know but it sounds like it should be doable if you want to create it.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 10, 2014, 11:11:06 PM
Quote from: Dolan50 on January 10, 2014, 08:01:35 PM
That's what I was thinking.
Looks like a Waterloo battlefield.

I'm late to the party but Napoleon era is also the first thing that popped into my mind.

Now, if they would do the Franco-Prussian War...

... followed by Boer War, S-A War, R-J War, and finally...  ;)

Africa would be nice and new.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Toonces

Norb "we have plans to return to the American Civil War but not until after Waterloo"

I realize I'm the party pooper here, but I am glad to hear this.  There is a lot more of the Civil War I'd like to see before we move on to other wars.  Just my opinion, of course.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

youre not a party pooper.
you just dont know historical architecture.  ;)
Im willing to chalk it up to the magnetic influence of your giant watch and sun stroke.

mikeck

Better figure out a way for brigades to keep their regiments in straight lines. Half the time my brigade looks like an * with crossed crossed units firing all over. That's my one annoyance.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Finally.  I'm not too fond of ACW anyway.

Toonces

You already have two Napoleon games similar to this: Napoleon Total War and Les Grognards. 

Scourge of War is the only game that does American Civil War in this manner.  So I say let TW and LG have Napoleon and let SoW stick with ACW.  Now stick those acronyms in your pipe and smoke them!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

agathosdaimon

Napoleon total war is nice bit it is woefully woefully woefully unrealistic and its playable scenario battles are just comical versions little better than imperial glory's battles and ca play too loose and cliched with history.

Histwar is probably the one that could stand in parallel with Sow , but i dont know how finished a game it is.

I like that the game would be easily moddable as really thats all that is needed to then help make all the other battles and it will be good to have european landscapes as the road to wagram sow modd just doesnt look right with the mid 19th century usa landscapes

HistoricalGamer

Someone asked Jim during the podcast if they were looking at doing any of the earlier Napolonic Battles he pointed out that they are looking at changing their business model away from releasing constant Battle-packs and making the game modable so the players can create their own historic battles and campaigns and thus allow Norbsoft to focus on improving the core game and adding features each release.

Obviously he also put out there that a lot of this stuff is in flux and subject to change but that's their thought process at this time.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Toonces on January 10, 2014, 11:59:02 PM

I realize I'm the party pooper here, but I am glad to hear this.  There is a lot more of the Civil War I'd like to see before we move on to other wars.  Just my opinion, of course.

Although I am glad they are giving Waterloo a go, I do wish they could come up with a model to also keep releasing ACW packs along the way too.  I know they say they will come back to it, but if the Waterloo game is likely a year and half away plus it usually takes them a long time between packs, we are likely talking many years before they come back.

bob48

Quote from: Toonces on January 11, 2014, 01:00:04 AM
You already have two Napoleon games similar to this: Napoleon Total War and Les Grognards. 

Scourge of War is the only game that does American Civil War in this manner.  So I say let TW and LG have Napoleon and let SoW stick with ACW.  Now stick those acronyms in your pipe and smoke them!

I'm with you on this one, Toonces. I'd much rather them stick to ACW. If they were to take the system to another period, then my vote would be ECW / 30year war, which are sadly neglected topics.

I have always hoped that TW would pick up on this period as well, but I seem to have read somewhere that the next planned TW will be Empires II.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

ComradeP

I'm wondering if this is going to work for the developers, particularly considering the significant scale increase.

Numerous well-known US civil war battles were skirmishes in terms of troops involved compared to Napoleonic battles. A battle like Waterloo (and the rest of the 100 days) might be OK, on a similar scale as Gettysburg until the Prussians arrive, but if they move further back to before the invasion of France in 1813, they'll face the problem that Napoleonic campaigns tended to feature fewer crucial smaller battles (in terms of troops involved) than Civil War battles and they'll have to cover several really large battles.

The invasion of France 1813-1814 would be an option with the scale for the current engine in mind, although playing as the French would be very challenging.

The engine would also need to represent the more formal way of fighting in Europe during Napoleonic times, and the even lower accuracy of weapons than in the Civil War (although a musket from 1815 would be about as accurate as a musket from the 1860's I guess, it's mostly smoothbore weapons or rifles that saw an improvement in accuracy).
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45