RAF:Battle of Britain AAR

Started by JudgeDredd, November 17, 2013, 04:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Having started looking at the rules for RAF:Battle of Britain and realising how easy they are to read and how fun the game looks, I've decided to do an AAR on this before I do one for Blood and Bridges (apologies to anyone looking forward to the B&B one - but I will get back to it).

I've got my boards mounted and really looking forward to this one. I just can't believe how easy the rules are to follow. After reading LnL rulesets for B&B and BoH - this is a very pleasant surprise (maybe I'm just thick). But things like the Sequence of play...it obviously shows you the sequence and an explanation of the sequence, but has amention for which rule section in the manual you have to go to to complete the phase.

My enthusiasm for the ease of these rules may be premature - but my initial look through them gripped me with excitement.

I'm going to be playing RAF:Battle of Britain EAGLE:German Solitaire game. The scenario will be the one day Prelude to Eagle Day which the rulebook suggests will take a new player around 4 hours. You can likely multiply that by 5 with an AAR, what with writing up and pictures.

Startup layout coming soon.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

JudgeDredd

Well, I had hoped to get the board setup and take a few pictures, but unfortunately I forgot all about the counters - and how "mental" you lot are about the corners! So I've spent the last hour cutting out the counters and trimming the corners - and this has left me no time to setup the board

If I can start this today, I will. If not, I expect the first pictures and descriptions will come starting Monday.

As an opener

Prelude to Eagle Day
Card Preparation
Set the Target Deck, Raid Event Deck and Day Event Deck into accessible piles (German Strategy Deck are not required for this scenario)
Remove Target Cards 35-60 and Raid Event Cards 132-134 from the piles.
Shuffle each deck and place face down

Unit Placement
Place all 27 Hurricane and Spitfire counters full strength up in their respective sectors (but not Blenheim Sqns)
Place all 77 Gruppen counters full strength up in their assigned air bases

Target Priorities
Place the Priority Markers on the Target Priority Track as follows

• Low Priority - Cities and Industry
  • Medium Priority - Airfields
  • High Priority - Ports and Radar

Other Marker Placement
Put the Clock marker in the 0600 space in the Clock
Place the 7 time markers on the Raid Planning Track
Detection Marker on the Detection Track
Day marker on August 11 box
Victory Point marker on the 0 box, British Side (+) up

Alba gu' brath

bob48

Good stuff JD. This has got my interest up.

..well done on the counter corner cutting......... ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

This is a Luftflotte 2 South Target Card

This is an Event Card

And this is a Day Card

I'll explain about them when I come to use them in game.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 17, 2013, 06:07:25 AM
Well, I had hoped to get the board setup and take a few pictures, but unfortunately I forgot all about the counters - and how "mental" you lot are about the corners! So I've spent the last hour cutting out the counters and trimming the corners - and this has left me no time to setup the board

Who, us??   ???   ;D

Looking forward to this AAR, more so than B&B actually.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

MengJiao

Quote from: bob48 on November 17, 2013, 06:10:20 AM
Good stuff JD. This has got my interest up.

..well done on the counter corner cutting......... ;)

It does look like it will be fun.

Nefaro

That reminds me.. I need to pick up new toenail clippers for counter cutting.  My copy should be showing up Monday or Tuesday.  ;)

Looking forward to the AAR.   Snap to it!  :P

Bison

Quote from: GJK on November 17, 2013, 07:57:26 AM

Who, us??   ???   ;D

I want to see photos of how he organized his counters too.

Nefaro

Put 'em in some old 'dime bags'.  :P

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Bison on November 17, 2013, 04:47:30 PM
Quote from: GJK on November 17, 2013, 07:57:26 AM

Who, us??   ???   ;D

I want to see photos of how he organized his counters too.
You're a tough bunch!

Alba gu' brath

Rekim

What about the card sleeves JD?

My copy of RAF arrived last week but am not likely to start fiddling with it until later this winter. I usually sleeve cards if the game involves lots of shuffling or placing of playing pieces placed on cards. Not sure if RAF is going to qualify just yet. So far I have only glanced in the box and based on that quick inspection I figured that the RAF card decks might be smaller than a standard, so may be tricky to source proper sized sleeves for it.

JudgeDredd

sleeves for the cards? No...a step too far that.  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2013, 07:15:20 AM
sleeves for the cards? No...a step too far that.  ;D

You gonna freeze the game box in carbonite, too?

;D

JudgeDredd

First screenie...All set up.

The might of the German Luftwaffe is poised and ready to launch the first of many days which will see raids all over southern England. The brave but few RAF pilots await the onslaught.
Alba gu' brath