Author Topic: DCS Discussion  (Read 86851 times)

Offline mikeck

• Condottieri
Re: DCS Discussion
« Reply #1050 on: July 17, 2018, 12:01:01 AM »
Iím in. I want to blow stuff up but I donít want to have to read a 30 page book and spend 20 minutes getting the engines turned on
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #1051 on: July 18, 2018, 08:25:20 AM »
So now I'm in the market for a WWII arena game, I was looking at DCS.

It looks pretty expensive. I was going through the figures and to get in at a base level (I already have the P-51), I'm looking to pay out $45 for the terrain pack.

However, add the other aircraft in, the assets pack and throw in a few missions and I'm looking at a total bill of $225 - that seems very, very steep. Clearly I wouldn't buy it all in one go - but I'm wondering what the flying and immersion experience is like compared to other products?
I AM the Law

Offline mbar

• Velites
« Reply #1052 on: July 18, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
The terrain and asset pack can be bought together for a discount.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/special_offers/normandy_and_wwii_assets_pack_bundle/

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #1053 on: July 18, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »
Thanks  O0
I AM the Law

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #1054 on: July 18, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
I would hold off for a sale JD. You just missed the DCS summer sale. Both the map and asset packs were heavily discounted. I almost jumped on it, but I'm just not interested in playing DCS in WWII, and I heard that support and updates have been infrequent.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #1055 on: July 18, 2018, 12:13:26 PM »
I would hold off for a sale JD. You just missed the DCS summer sale. Both the map and asset packs were heavily discounted. I almost jumped on it, but I'm just not interested in playing DCS in WWII, and I heard that support and updates have been infrequent.
Cheers. I'm not really that into WWII for flight simming - but the daughters BF loves it. He'll be gutted 1C took away BoS and BoM
I AM the Law

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #1056 on: July 18, 2018, 12:44:18 PM »
Cheers. I'm not really that into WWII for flight simming - but the daughters BF loves it. He'll be gutted 1C took away BoS and BoM

Then honestly, you're probably just better off getting BoS and BoM again. Its a superior sim for WWII. I think its great you can indulge in this hobby with your daughter's boyfriend. I hope someday (many, many, many years in the future) my daughter meets a gentleman that shares some of my interests.  O0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline mbar

• Velites
« Reply #1057 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
A cheaper alternative that might be worth a look.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/754530/IL2_Sturmovik_Cliffs_of_Dover_Blitz_Edition/

Offline Tuna

• Condottieri
« Reply #1058 on: July 18, 2018, 01:30:41 PM »
Did they fix the Engine sound issue?

Offline mbar

• Velites
« Reply #1059 on: July 18, 2018, 01:39:15 PM »
I was not aware. I do not have the game. I should withdraw that suggestion. I just looked at the community hub and there are many sticky threads about resolving various issues. Could potentially be more frustrating than fun.

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #1060 on: July 18, 2018, 01:58:43 PM »
I have it - and it can be frustrating. It was left in a proper mess
I AM the Law

Offline MengJiao

• Condottieri
« Reply #1061 on: July 21, 2018, 11:27:50 PM »
Iím in. I want to blow stuff up but I donít want to have to read a 30 page book and spend 20 minutes getting the engines turned on

You can fly in the mission editor without too much manual reading.  Mirage again:

Offline Apocalypse 31

• Viking
« Reply #1062 on: July 22, 2018, 09:39:20 AM »
More ED fuckery. This time they are shorting the Persian Gulf Map. From Wag Bag

As of the update this week, the map size is final. From the start, the map was planned to include Iran, UAE, and Oman. This will not change.

When time allows though, we will try to add some additional airfields and landmarks in the UAE. Our may team has now moved on to the next map that we will announce later this year.

Yeah. Right.

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #1063 on: July 22, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
I haven't been following...how much more map were we expecting?

(I'm tempted to go log onto SimHQ just to see the fury).   :)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline RyanE

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #1064 on: July 22, 2018, 07:49:34 PM »
I haven't been following...how much more map were we expecting?

(I'm tempted to go log onto SimHQ just to see the "righteous" fury).   :)

Fixed that for you.