Author Topic: DCS Discussion  (Read 119258 times)

Offline Skoop

• Viking
Re: DCS Discussion
« Reply #1260 on: March 01, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
They released the mig19 instead.

To bad we don't have a Dcs phantom with a Vietnam map to go with it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 06:27:23 PM by Skoop »

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #1261 on: March 02, 2019, 06:56:17 AM »
Finally...tomcat release date of March 13 revealed.

Have little interest in the Farmer. Will probably pick it up on sale eventually.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 08:30:44 AM by Jarhead0331 »
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Skoop

• Viking
« Reply #1262 on: March 02, 2019, 09:37:02 PM »
Nice.

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #1263 on: March 03, 2019, 12:15:09 AM »
Sweet  :notworthy:
I AM the Law

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #1264 on: March 03, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
They released the mig19 instead.

To bad we don't have a Dcs phantom with a Vietnam map to go with it.
I thought a phantom II was in development but gathered it was on hold?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #1265 on: March 03, 2019, 07:22:55 PM »
Have any of you guys spent any significant time with that free A-4?  I'd love to hook up online with you guys when the F-14 comes out and do some ACM in an A-4 aggressor if it's any good.

I will eventually pick this up, but at the moment I simply cannot justify the expense.  It might make for some fun flights and great screenshots or even Grogheads article if we can do it.  Some say I'm the best internet fighter pilot in the world.   :coolsmiley:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #1266 on: March 03, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
At 85 pages, I'm not sure if this has been posted or if we discussed it, but there is a pretty good documentary on the training of F-14 pilots called Speed and Angels on Youtube.  A quick search should turn up the series; here's the trailer:

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #1267 on: March 03, 2019, 07:33:59 PM »
Have any of you guys spent any significant time with that free A-4?  I'd love to hook up online with you guys when the F-14 comes out and do some ACM in an A-4 aggressor if it's any good.

I will eventually pick this up, but at the moment I simply cannot justify the expense.  It might make for some fun flights and great screenshots or even Grogheads article if we can do it.  Some say I'm the best internet fighter pilot in the world.   :coolsmiley:

I have the free A4 and the Tomcat on pre-order. I've flown around in the scooter a bit, but some of the last DCS World updates caused some issues for it and I'm not sure if they have been fixed.

I'm really excited for the Tomcat, but very nervous. I'm afraid I'm going to hate flying it after getting so comfortable in the Hornet...

Regardless, would love to connect for some flights and doing something for the main page is a great idea.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #1268 on: March 03, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
This is going back a long time, but I remember talking to my dad (F-4 RIO/instructor) about flying the F-4 and he always told me that whenever a pilot wanted to turn the plane he first had to "put in a boot full of rudder."  I didn't understand it at the time, and even after I started flying myself I didn't understand why one would want to overly concern himself with rudder in a jet fighter.  It was only much later, maybe even in the last 10 years when I've read more about the Phantom, that I realized that the F-4 wasn't a "stick over and pull" fighter like, say, the F-16 or any computer flight sim.  If you rolled the jet with the stick/ailerons and then pulled back - typical for flight simming - you'd depart the jet.  Something about the weird tail and wing configuration was such that you actually rolled the jet with the rudder, not the ailerons.  So, if you wanted to turn, you rolled the jet over with the rudder pedals, not the stick.  Apparently that took a lot of time to become intuitive because it's so atypical.

I've never seen a sim capture that idiosyncrasy.  I think it would be amazing if this sim captures those types of things for the F-14.  It took a lot of skill to fly it to the "edge" like Top Gun.  The fact that it's hard to fly is part of the charm.

I know that some of my most satisfying moments in Aces High were when I took a very difficult plane and beat up on other pilots in easy mode planes.  Think Yak vs. Spit 16.  If you can take down a Spit 16 in a Yak, you're executing very skillful ACM.

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #1269 on: March 03, 2019, 10:41:29 PM »
Mate. I will be struggling just to take off. Let alone fly on the edge.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #1270 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
Tomcat comes today...I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #1271 on: March 13, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
I know! I even watched Top Gun again yesterday night to celebrate today’s EA release! :bd: :dreamer:
Goodwill's Grogheads Battletech Campaign GM
"I'd prefer to make my own rolls whenever possible, but running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #1272 on: March 13, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »
I started DCS this morning and there was a big update - I was hopeful, but the cat wasn't there. At least I got the DCS update out the way ready though
I AM the Law

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #1273 on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
I started DCS this morning and there was a big update - I was hopeful, but the cat wasn't there. At least I got the DCS update out the way ready though

Its out. Try again.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #1274 on: March 13, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
YOU ALL HAVE NOW BEEN WAAARRRRNED!

The video is purely kidding.
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.