Sword of The Ground?

Started by Jarhead0331, August 14, 2013, 09:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Kerberos is releasing a new game set in the Sword of the Stars universe called "Ground Pounders."

Time to leave the stars and get dirty in "Ground Pounders"

Following on the heels of their first highly successful crowd-sourced game, The Pit, Kerberos Productions is pleased to officially announce our next title, Sword of the Stars: Ground Pounders! Inspired by classic wargames such as Panzer General, and steeped in the lore of the Sword of the Stars universe, Ground Pounders offers a new generation of gamers an updated taste of turn-based warfare!

PC alpha Demo available here, from Gamershell.com!

Ground Pounders lets players control an army from one of three factions, comprised of several dozen of types of units, lead them across a variety of worlds, increase their experience levels and abilities over three campaigns, and use them to unlock special action cards that can be used to add unique effects to their single-player or cross platform multi-player battles!

Players can get a taste of Ground Pounders now by trying the Alpha demo for PC. Ground Pounders is the second independent title to be published by Kerberos and will be the first to use Kickstarter as a way to connect with fans of both the SotS universe of games and strategy wargames in general. With the support of players, Kerberos seeks to take Ground Pounders from the Alpha stage on PC to final release across multiple platforms in time for Christmas.

Please email contact@kerberos-productions for further information or to request a review copy.

FEATURES

- Control one of 3 armies – Human, Tarka, and Hivers
- 80+ units covering land, sea, and air
- Battle across alien worlds on exotic battlefields, including airless moons, lava plains, and meteor blasted wastelands
- Seize orbital superiority and call down bombardments on your foes
- Build airfields, fortify areas, and repair or destroy bridges
- Improve your unit's experience and abilities over 3 campaigns
- Unlock and collect combat cards for each race.
- Build unique decks and even tune them for specific battles
- Dozens of scenarios to play in skirmish mode or cross-platform multiplayer
- Scenario and unit editors will allow players to create and trade battles
- SotSdex filled with lore details on famous units, personalities, battles and weapon systems

There is an alpha demo...see link above.  Screenshots below:

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Hmmm.

I wonder who that might appeal to?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Yskonyn

I am a fan of Kerberos and of the SotS Universe, but this doesn't really appeal to me very much.
I know its Alpha, but don't you think seeing those screenshots will put off more people than they would gain in their early advertising campaign? I am sure many of the graphics are placeholder, but I already hear the stampede of people shouting about how ugly and unprofessional Kerb's new game looks.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote...to add unique effects to their single-player or cross platform multi-player battles

Splat.

aka "Tablet Game".   Doesn't bode well.   :(

Gusington

It does show that at least Kerberos is listening when fans are asking for a more detailed sci fi ground combat component. What they should so is make it part of a larger Sword of the Stars game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Sounds good to me but frankly, i don't like the graphics...there's Pandora: first contact which looks a lot better for my taste.

Tpek

As much as I like Kerberos, this game looks like an indie strategy game from the 90s :P

Wolfe1759

As it is by Kerberos I think I'll wait until 6 months after release, see if it is actually working and then think about buying.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

sandman2575

"Ground Pounders" ?!?  This sounds like a bad joke.  Those screenies bear *no* relation to SOTS.  You can call them 'Tarka tank battalions' or whatever, but unless the aesthetic matches in some way, it's not SOTS.

Between this and "The Pit," Kerberos is taking a worrying turn.  SOTS 2 is easily in my 'Top 5' list of favorite Space 4x titles. It's an amazingly fun game.  But there's not even a part of me that would contemplate buying this garbage.

panzerde

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 14, 2013, 02:00:40 PM
"Ground Pounders" ?!?  This sounds like a bad joke.  Those screenies bear *no* relation to SOTS.  You can call them 'Tarka tank battalions' or whatever, but unless the aesthetic matches in some way, it's not SOTS.

Between this and "The Pit," Kerberos is taking a worrying turn.  SOTS 2 is easily in my 'Top 5' list of favorite Space 4x titles. It's an amazingly fun game.  But there's not even a part of me that would contemplate buying this garbage.

+1.  I really like SOTS 2, but I thought "The Pit" was a really strange departure from the sort of games I thought Kerberos was about.  This game, even if cleaned up with good graphics, seems pretty unappealing.  Kerberos' CEO has always seemed a bit "strong willed" in his approach to game development. I think that's been the main contributor to how controversial some of their releases have been (along with the part where the game isn't actually playable at launch).

Still, if "The Pit" sold well at all, my dislike of this direction is pretty immaterial.  It wouldn't be the first time that I've found that what I want to play and what nearly everyone else thinks is fun and interesting are out of step.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

solops

Same here.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on August 14, 2013, 10:21:03 AM
It does show that at least Kerberos is listening when fans are asking for a more detailed sci fi ground combat component. What they should so is make it part of a larger Sword of the Stars game.

Empire of the Fading Suns. I'm guessing that's the long term goal here.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Quote from: panzerde on August 14, 2013, 07:04:32 PM

+1.  I really like SOTS 2, but I thought "The Pit" was a really strange departure from the sort of games I thought Kerberos was about.  This game, even if cleaned up with good graphics, seems pretty unappealing.  Kerberos' CEO has always seemed a bit "strong willed" in his approach to game development. I think that's been the main contributor to how controversial some of their releases have been (along with the part where the game isn't actually playable at launch).

Still, if "The Pit" sold well at all, my dislike of this direction is pretty immaterial.  It wouldn't be the first time that I've found that what I want to play and what nearly everyone else thinks is fun and interesting are out of step.
I think they do this because it's cheaper to produce. Don't forget they almost went done because of the failed launch of SOTS2...every buck counts. Still, some nice graphics wouldn't hurt, so far i am not tempted.

jomni

Looks no different from your "run-of-the-mill" "rough-on-the-edges" iPad game.

Arctic Blast

I actually kinda like SotS : The Pit.

This could be good...but it looks rather lackluster at the moment.