Author Topic: Feedback on Battle Lab: Civilians on the Battlefield  (Read 1609 times)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
Feedback on Battle Lab: Civilians on the Battlefield
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:50:58 PM »
The slides from Brant's '06 Origins War College talk are up on the front page.  Give it a look through and discuss below.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Cyrano

• Order of the Square Button
  • Man-at-Arms
  • AKA JK Actual
Re: Feedback on Battle Lab: Civilians on the Battlefield
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »
"Battle for Baghdad", which, I should note, I bought largely on your recommendation and have enjoyed a great deal, makes "collecting" the support of civilians one of the objectives of at least one of the factions.

Absent a strong FoW mechanism though (Kriegsspiel now and forever), it seems to me that the civilian role is best allocated to a PC, potted off an "AI" run by the umpire, or, as I suppose is most common, built into the RoE.  All the modern games I played at Historicon -- including, I should note, a Kriegsspiel -- used the latter device.

Interesting piece.  Thanks for sharing it.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Pledge Representative to the Social Committee

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

You are all a bunch of card-mangling. game miscegenators.  -- The Spirit of PanzerDe

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
"Battle for Baghdad", which, I should note, I bought largely on your recommendation and have enjoyed a great deal, makes "collecting" the support of civilians one of the objectives of at least one of the factions.

I'm not sure B4B had been released in '06 when I gave that presentation!  (Man, I'm getting old...)

Your point is valid, though - it is a key objective, and the rules very clearly reflect that by giving you a way to influence the civilians.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline bayonetbrant

• Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:08:15 AM »
I dug another "Battle Lab" out of the GrogNews archives and published it here