Author Topic: Dom 3 Quick Questions Thread  (Read 6797 times)

Offline parone

• Viking
Re: Dom 3 Quick Questions Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
LOTS of cheap tramplers is good.  but cheap tramplers are hard to come by

Offline mkivcs

• Velites
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
I've just noticed that half a dozen magic users in two separate locations have developed Battle afflictions in a single turn. No battle and no reports in the messages screen to suggest a reason. I can quiet understand a long distance attack but I thought someone in my empire would have at least informed me of the this development. I only noticed them in my monthly check that everyone was doing something useful.Any ideas?

Offline Faux

• Velites
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
I've just noticed that half a dozen magic users in two separate locations have developed Battle afflictions in a single turn. No battle and no reports in the messages screen to suggest a reason. I can quiet understand a long distance attack but I thought someone in my empire would have at least informed me of the this development. I only noticed them in my monthly check that everyone was doing something useful.Any ideas?

Your mages are probably suffering from old age. Having growth scale will increase their life span a bit so they won't get afflictions that often.

Offline mkivcs

• Velites
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 03:46:15 PM »
Possible but I don't think so in this case. I have seen the odd mage die over the years but half a dozen to all get old age on the same turn seems unlikely. I'm pretty sure that this is something else.

Phobos

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »
Afflictions from old age occur mid-winter every year.  If they all are getting the diseased affliction, it may also be due to a hidden magic site in the province.  I remember a magic site that did that from a previous game.  Search for water or death if it does not appear to be old age and is restricted to a single province.

Offline mkivcs

• Velites
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:36:30 PM »
Afflictions from old age occur mid-winter every year.
You are both correct. It is indeed midwinter I had not realised that it was a once a year check rather than a turn check. I must just have got unlucky on the dice roll to have 50% of my backroom staff all age at the same time. They can still research even with the odd bit of body missing so no real hardship (For the empire anyway.)

Offline parone

• Viking
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 04:35:24 AM »
also, i beleive the older they get, the more likely they acquire afflictions.  but that may be something i suspect, not a fact

Offline undercovergeek

• Arquebusier
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 04:55:30 AM »
theres boots for stopping old age isnt there?

Phobos

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 05:14:48 AM »
Boots of Youth.  They are a blood item that will stop aging.

There is also a spell that will lower age by 10 years, Rejuvenation, again blood magic.

Magic paths will extend old age thresholds as well.  Nature magic extends lifespan by something like 50% per point for most units.  Undead can get old as well, but I don't think they suffer age afflictions, just the lower stats from old age.  Death magic extends their lifespan.

Age is not a big issue, as far as I cam concerned, unless you have numerous units that start old.  Spells like Decay will cause rapid aging though, plus there is a global spell that causes everyone in the world to age rapidly.  That tends to hurt human units a lot more than some of the fantasy races, like R'Lyeh or Pangaea.     

Offline parone

• Viking
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 06:52:31 AM »
i beleive the elixr of life also slows/stops aging

Offline byrdman57

• Equites
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
Also having fire magic shortens the mage's lifespan and lowers the age at which they become old.

Offline parone

• Viking
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
really?  i never heard that.

Offline Nefaro

• Arquebusier
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »
Umm.. there are spells and magic items that can cause disease in a location. 

Isn't one of them that 'Bane Charm' that people like to smuggle into enemy territories on a stealthy undead unit (so it doesn't also get diseased & die)?

Offline alastair

• Velites
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 09:26:11 PM »
Great idea for a thread!

What I want to know is if there are any spells that can make a stormy, rainy, battlefield into a sunny day?  My battle plans are absolutely useless in my current game due to heavy storms and electrical activity.  Not knowing much about spells and how to counter them I would argue that Dominions 3 has certain uncounterable buffs that kind of break the game.

Cant directly break them, but you can check it by changing your casting to battlefield-wide targeting.  Bloodletting is a good storm counter, as lots of air mages are squishy.  I learned that the hard way.

Offline elitesix

• Equites
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »
Fire magic lowers lifespan, but increases leadership ability.