Marvel Cinematic Universe Running Thread

Started by Centurion40, May 22, 2013, 09:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

First off, let me begin this post by warning of Captain America: Winter Soldier spoilers.  I will change the font colour on spoiler info in an attempt to hide it.

I liked the way that Agents of Shield tied in with the events of Winter Soldier.  The Marvel Studios path forward continues to evolve.  An earlier prediction that Avengers 2 will begin with a battle with Baron Von Strucker, and now that Hydra has been unveiled, that could be likely.

The first of the two "One Shots" at the end of Winter Soldier showed the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver as being in Hydra's (or a Hydra ally's) clutches.  We know that Avengers 2 deals with Ultron.  Ultron makes the android "Vision" (to be played by Paul Bettany, the voice of JARVIS) who, in the comics, marries the Scarlet Witch. No doubt as part of the set up for Avengers 2.

Apparently they are also going to reboot the Fantastic Four.  There is a comics story-line called the Ultimate Fantastic Four, where the story is a bit different and one of the villains they battle is Thanos.  Yes Thanos, the mysterious villain who is trying to assemble the Infinity Gauntlet.  Perhaps another tie-in?

Any time is a good time for pie.

eyebiter

MetalDog

Awesome avatar, eyebiter!  I think Black Panther is due before Black Widow.  Although, I would much rather see ScarJo in skintight black leather than some dude.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Her character has had a lot of exposure in three movies where her character wasn't intrinsically integral (though the comic canon connections were admittedly legitimate), and one movie (Avengers) where frankly a different female character would have served better. I'm not excited for a solo movie. I'd rather see Captain Marvel or Spider-woman or She-hulk or Tigra or Wasp or almost literally any other female Avenger in a solo movie.

Black Panther (despite the ridiculously outdated and area-inappropriate name) would be a vastly much better pick for a Phase 3 solo.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

Captain Marvel, yes! I'm hoping that she shows up in the next Guardians movie, at least.
Any time is a good time for pie.

JasonPratt

Marvel has pretty much confirmed CapMarv will be part of Phase 3, but seems to have settled on someone other than Katee Sackhoff for the role, unfortunately.  >:( Well, they've earned enough money being good at what they do that I can't gripe about them hating money and success -- likely whoever they've picked instead will work, too. And Katee might seem a touch too old to them, or possibly not tall enough as Danvers is a little statuesque.

Which didn't stop her from mercilessly teasing her fans recently on the subject, of course.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

Dude...I can't STAND Katie Sackhoff.

I did like her in BG...but she's a terrible, terrible actress in everything else she tries to do. She ruined Longmire for me because she's Starbuck in just about everything she does. It's like she has no idea how to act other than like that character.

MetalDog

Katee Sackhoff would be the wrong shade to play Captain Marvel.  The right one for Ms. Marvel, but not the Capt.

Sir Slash

Are there any Marvel characters they are not planning to include in the movies? What are we up to now, about 30+?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 29, 2014, 10:17:53 PMAre there any Marvel characters they are not planning to include in the movies?

Apparently The Wasp...   ::)

They've managed to completely reinvent The Avengers without Hank Pym / Janet Van Dyne and even build the second movie around his creation to impress her without bothering to feature either one of them in the movie.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Quote from: MetalDog on August 29, 2014, 06:25:40 PM
Katee Sackhoff would be the wrong shade to play Captain Marvel.  The right one for Ms. Marvel, but not the Capt.

You've got that reversed. Kamala Khan picked up the Ms. Marvel name; Carol Danvers is still the Captain.

Though considering how cutely the writers are playing the Ultron origin (going waaaaaay back to him being linked to Jarvis the butler), and the "Age of Ultron" title, Evangeline Lily (playing the daughter of Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne) may end up as CapMarv: Janet took the role (in an alternate reality) after Pym died in the original crossover event.

BanzaiCat

Hmm. Mayhaps they will reboot Rogue as well. She was easily my favorite X-man. Didn't like how they portrayed her in the original X-Men movies, unlike the comic where she sucked up Ms. Marvel's powers (I'm remembering that right, right?)

MetalDog

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 30, 2014, 07:17:59 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on August 29, 2014, 06:25:40 PM

You've got that reversed. Kamala Khan picked up the Ms. Marvel name; Carol Danvers is still the Captain.

Though considering how cutely the writers are playing the Ultron origin (going waaaaaay back to him being linked to Jarvis the butler), and the "Age of Ultron" title, Evangeline Lily (playing the daughter of Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne) may end up as CapMarv: Janet took the role (in an alternate reality) after Pym died in the original crossover event.

From the Wiki:

Monica Rambeau[edit]
Main article: Monica Rambeau
The second Captain Marvel is Monica Rambeau, a police lieutenant from New Orleans who possesses the power to transform herself into any form of energy.[8] Her powers were briefly altered so that she cannot transform to energy, but instead can generate a personal force field.[9] Sometime later, the Stranger returned her energy transformation abilities. She is a member of the Avengers, and at one point served as their leader. She eventually ceded the Captain Marvel name to the original Captain Marvel's son after which Rambeau used the name Photon for quite some time,[10] until Genis-Vell adopted the same name. Genis-Vell and Monica discussed this and Monica decided on the name Pulsar.[11]

Rambeau later joined H.A.T.E. (the Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort) in the new series titled NEXTWAVE.[12] In this series created by Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen, H.A.T.E. (a subsidiary of the Beyond Corporation©) forms a team to fight the Bizarre Weapons of Mass Destruction. Members include Monica Rambeau, a man known only as "The Captain", Boom Boom, Aaron Stack, and Elsa Bloodstone. She most recently returned to the Avengers using the codename Spectrum

And the seventh Captain Marvel, from the Wiki:

Carol Danvers[edit]
Main article: Carol Danvers
In July 2012, Carol Danvers, the longtime super-heroine known as Ms. Marvel, assumed the mantle of Captain Marvel in a new ongoing series by writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Dexter Soy. Danvers, who first appeared as a supporting character in the original Captain Marvel's title and gained her superpowers from him, now sports a revamped costume to complement the codename. DeConnick stated at the 2012 WonderCon that the series will reflect on what the legend of Captain Marvel means to Danvers, what she will do with it and what the rest of the Marvel Universe thinks of her new role.[15]

The only thing the Wiki doesn't state for Monica Rambeau is her skin color.  Which is black.  Hence, Katee Sackhoff is the wrong color to play Captain Marvel.

bayonetbrant

Yep, Rambeau was in the Avengers back around the 230s or so, for almost 60 issues.  She was an interesting character that never really got explored until they moved her out of the Avengers and started doing other things with her.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

Quote from: MetalDog on August 30, 2014, 09:16:42 PM
Carol Danvers[edit]
Main article: Carol Danvers
In July 2012, Carol Danvers, the longtime super-heroine known as Ms. Marvel, assumed the mantle of Captain Marvel in a new ongoing series by writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Dexter Soy. Danvers, who first appeared as a supporting character in the original Captain Marvel's title and gained her superpowers from him, now sports a revamped costume to complement the codename. DeConnick stated at the 2012 WonderCon that the series will reflect on what the legend of Captain Marvel means to Danvers, what she will do with it and what the rest of the Marvel Universe thinks of her new role.[15]

The only thing the Wiki doesn't state for Monica Rambeau is her skin color.  Which is black.  Hence, Katee Sackhoff is the wrong color to play Captain Marvel.

Blonde and white. Monica Rambeau is Pulsar now, and has been for ages (and was Photon for a while before that, having ceded the CapMarv title back to Mar-Vell's son). Danvers has been CapMarv since 2012. (Also in the animated Avengers 2nd season that same year.)

When the series writers and creators in the comic named CAPTAIN MARVEL call Danvers CAPTAIN MARVEL consistently for the past few years, she's currently CapMarv.

https://www.google.com/search?q=captain+marvel+danvers&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gXcGVLSRA8j2yQT_roGYBA&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsAQ&biw=1536&bih=704