Author Topic: Naga Review Feeback  (Read 1087 times)

Offline son_of_montfort

• Ego rex Jerusalem et Sicilie, comitatus Provincie et Folcalquierii
  • Crossbowman
  • The Electronic Eremite
Naga Review Feeback
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:15 PM »
Lay it on my LB. I have a $30 gift card and some Amazon money coming in next week. Should I upgrade my Logitech mouse (G9) for that second tier Naga you discussed? I can't afford the triple digit one but is the one with the six buttons acceptable?

I've never been very happy with my G9. It just feels a little funny. It isn't that old, but it isn't as functional as I would like either. I love the idea of having my hotkeys in a circle on my mouse. I also have a nice G13 gaming pad, so I think the mouse would be an excellent addition

What say you?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we’ll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
Re: Naga Review Feeback
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:59:40 PM »
I've not used the G9.

All of the Razer mice seem slung low for a palm user like me. That said, I really like the adjustable pinky grips. The widest one is the one I'm using now.

I really like the thumb button options - it might seem like small change, but I love hitting the #3 button and refreshing my browser without searching for either the F5 key or the refresh button (which as become increasingly smaller as browsers develop).

The biggest question is: what are you using your mouse for?

In looking at the G9x (if I found the right one: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5092) it looks roughly comparable to the Naga, but the Naga doesn't allow for adjustable weight.

One thing that has taken some getting used to is the low-slung profile. If you like a big ball shape to palm, I have yet to find a Razer that does that, though the wide body of the Naga is comfortable. I'm not playing and FPS games right now so I haven't messed with the macros in-game, but the six thumb button Naga looks like it could be a winner.

Also to love: the wireless ability. You can just pull the cord and go. If the battery dies, it's just a second or two to plug in and the power is back on (albeit corded).

Offline son_of_montfort

• Crossbowman
  • The Electronic Eremite
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »
The G9 is sort of like a tank. It only has the two buttons on the side and I find them a bit hard to use where they are positioned. The shape of the g( is a little odd, and that is sort of what throws me. They were supposed to get interchangeable "bodies" but that never panned out. I used the area right under my fingers to control the mouse, the top part of my palm.

I have never used the weights and have no clue what I would do with them anyway. Occasionally, the mouse speed control on the top of the mouse is nice, but typically the mouse is just too responsive to go above 2 bars and not responsive enough at 1 bar.

My favorite mouse was a form fitting Microsoft gaming mouse from way back, but they don't make them that way anymore.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we’ll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:08:28 PM »
Got it. I'm on my Kindle now and can't chat at length. Willget some thoughts to you tomorrow.

Offline son_of_montfort

• Crossbowman
  • The Electronic Eremite
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
I did some reading and found the Naga MMORPG was the same cost as the 6 button one. Some people liked the mechanical 6-buttons, others thought the hex was too sensitive and hit it too much. I'm not sure I need 12 buttons, but I also don't want to be holding my thumb in an awkward position.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
I haven't had a problem hitting a button at the wrong time, but then again, I haven't been playing any intense FPS games lately, either.

There's room on the Naga Epic to put your thumb forward of the buttons without me feeling especially awkward. Also keep in mind that those thumb buttons are going to have some cool functions, too, so you won't just be sitting there with a death grip on the mouse.

With a two-button mouse I'll often remap one button for the knife or other CQB and the other to activate my mic. Not sure what I'll do with 12 buttons yet, but I suspect I'll create a few routines for tossing smoke and nades or something.

The Naga was originally marketed as an MMO mouse, where you actually will use a whole bunch of keys and macros. It's been a while since I've played an MMO, but I seem to recall routinely using the 1-8 keys a lot.

Even with shooters and RTS games it's easy to see how remapping an awkward key (like Z, which I sometimes inadvertently hit the Windows key - you have no idea how frustrating it is to try to go prone and instead toggle yourself out of the game to the desktop).

And with RTS, think about how easy it will be to hit a macro to crank out a few more units from a building - no more complex key mapping to remember. That's some good stuff there.