Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 243168 times)

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
  • ringmaster at circus amateur night
Re: Ships!
« Reply #2850 on: January 21, 2019, 05:12:19 AM »
World War I ASW.
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2851 on: January 24, 2019, 04:54:17 AM »
Fifth Battle Squadron.  Photo taken from HMS Barham.
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2852 on: January 26, 2019, 10:43:41 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/HistoryBites/videos/288623028678544/?t=31

Reputed to be the only color footage of Pearl Harbor.
Hadnever heard or seen this, so not sure of provenance.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2853 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:12 AM »
Life and Death of the Hornet.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Hornet.html

Very nice movie of the Hornet, with good coverage of the Doolittle bombers.
Sorry I only found this today.  Only up for a few more days.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2854 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:20 AM »
Carrier Independence during Typhoon Cobra.  Photo is mislabeled as Hancock.

No wonder three DDs foundered.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:57:06 AM by besilarius »

"With your eyes closed?"