Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 265363 times)

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
Re: Ships!
« Reply #1620 on: December 05, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
^Heh. Nice.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can’t ‘un’ until you ‘pre’, son." - Gus

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #1621 on: December 07, 2016, 11:19:36 AM »
U.S. Fleet moored in Pearl Harbor on 3 May 1940

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #1622 on: December 07, 2016, 04:43:47 PM »
That's a different angle than usually shown. Nice find.
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
  • ringmaster at circus amateur night
« Reply #1623 on: December 07, 2016, 06:19:17 PM »
For those who can't get enough of Musashi and Yamato, there is a report that Mitsubishi shipyards have found 200 original blueprints.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20161204/k10010794821000.html   (Regrettably this report is in Japanese).
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline BanzaiCat

• Arquebusier
« Reply #1624 on: December 07, 2016, 07:48:41 PM »
For those who can't get enough of Musashi and Yamato, there is a report that Mitsubishi shipyards have found 200 original blueprints.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20161204/k10010794821000.html   (Regrettably this report is in Japanese).

Awesome find, Bes!

Though if you view it in Google Chrome, it does an admirable job of translating the page.

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #1625 on: December 09, 2016, 09:47:43 AM »
USS Drayton (DD-366) off the West Coast in October 1941, as seen from a Navy Texan trainer

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #1626 on: December 10, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »
Battlecruiser Seydlitz after Jutland.
Riding a little low.
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #1627 on: December 10, 2016, 08:41:13 AM »
IIRC, Of all the heavies at Jutland, isn't Seydlitz the ship which suffered the worst pounding while still making it home?
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #1628 on: December 10, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #1629 on: December 10, 2016, 04:04:12 PM »
http://www.patriotledger.com/news/20161209/uss-salem-to-move-to-new-pier-in-january

The Salem is moving, for any who might have wanted to visit her.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #1630 on: December 14, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
US Marine Amphibious Assault Vehicles (AAV) depart USS Bataan (LHD-5), 2016

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #1631 on: December 14, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »
As all snipes will tell you.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #1632 on: December 15, 2016, 05:42:50 AM »
Not really sure if this belongs under Ships or under Planes.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline undercovergeek

• Arquebusier
« Reply #1633 on: December 15, 2016, 07:47:19 AM »

The Royal Navy in about 2 years

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #1634 on: December 15, 2016, 08:00:19 AM »

The Royal Navy in about 2 years

So there's going to be a budget increase?