Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 283679 times)

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
  • ringmaster at circus amateur night
Re: Ships!
« Reply #735 on: March 30, 2015, 05:11:25 AM »
Double header
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #736 on: March 30, 2015, 07:11:24 PM »
USS Iowa in the Gulf of Sidra, 1986. Conducting a Freedom of Navigation exercise

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can’t ‘un’ until you ‘pre’, son." - Gus

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #737 on: March 31, 2015, 05:08:15 AM »
A collision at sea can ruin your whole day.  - Thucydides
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #738 on: March 31, 2015, 05:28:27 AM »
Maybe it will buff out?
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Offline Ubercat

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #739 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »
Quite a change from that to the New Jersey.  That's the CL Brooklyn behind your grandfather's ship.

Heh. If that's just a cruiser then the SC's were even smaller than I thought!
Numbers 31:17-18
"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

Psalm 137:9
"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #740 on: April 01, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »
USS Peleliu, last of the Tarawa-class Assault Ships. Decommissioned this week.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #741 on: April 01, 2015, 04:01:49 PM »
Finally.
Now we can all sleep at night without fearing the Gamillons.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #742 on: April 01, 2015, 05:02:33 PM »
Lemme guess...

The NJ's Wave Motion Guns are slightly smaller than Yamato's but can fire twice as fast.
Vituđ ér enn - eđa hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Offline Mr. Bigglesworth

• Crossbowman
« Reply #743 on: April 01, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »

Why? Those were cool ships. I visited one in Vancouver when i was a kid. Got the grand tour as my older sister's bf was Canadian navy. Even saw the command center, which was a mass of buttons and scopes.

What is the replacement vessel?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #745 on: April 01, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
The Tarawas are old. Peleliu was the youngest at 35 years old. We still have 8 of the Wasp-class in service and the Americas are coming on line with 11 planned.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:45:25 AM by mirth »

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt at Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • "We forgive our enemies, but not before they hang"
« Reply #746 on: April 02, 2015, 05:14:40 AM »

Why? Those were cool ships. I visited one in Vancouver when i was a kid. Got the grand tour as my older sister's bf was Canadian navy. Even saw the command center, which was a mass of buttons and scopes.

I saw one steaming into port in San Diego when I was 17. I thought she was huge....then I realized she wasn't even a fleet carrier, LOL.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"-- insert Steelie rant here--"......Sir Slash

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #747 on: April 02, 2015, 06:45:07 AM »
They're roughly the same size of a WW2 Fleet carrier or the 'Fleet' carriers of other modern navies. So not as big as super carrier, but still pretty damn big.

That's the truly amazing thing about the USN. It maintains a group of 'assault ships' which is pretty much an auxiliary carrier force that is still larger than the carrier force of any other navy.

Offline Centurion40

• Captain Obvious
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #748 on: April 02, 2015, 08:27:20 AM »

The America class: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/America-class_amphibious_assault_ship

Could you talk to someone about building an extra one, then let it "fall-off-the-truck" for us... out of pity?

Any time is a good time for pie.

Offline Windigo

• Arquebusier
  • Falschirmgrogheads HQ lackey
« Reply #749 on: April 02, 2015, 08:56:10 AM »
I hear we got one sub now that can actually fire torpedos
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.