Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 390198 times)

Online besilarius

• Landsknecht
  • ringmaster at circus amateur night
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #4605 on: November 09, 2018, 05:29:58 AM »
Very early Cold War Espionage.
If you're interestted in that, this is turning into a great read.

https://kansaspress.ku.edu/978-0-7006-2192-7.html
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #4606 on: November 10, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »
Reading Day of the Barbarians by Alessandro Barbero.
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.”

- Besilarius, Community Sage

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #4607 on: November 10, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
Just finished, "Rebel Yell" by S.C. Gwynne, an excellent biography of Stonewall Jackson.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #4608 on: April 28, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
Is this where you got a lot of those regimental histories you've been reporting in the other category? Those are good reading.  O0

Actually, all of those I got as free PDF downloads from either the US Army Center for Military History, Google Books, or the Internet Archive.

I usually just do a search on the regiment. Say the "305th infantry", and then came up with all sorts of good stuff, including the regimental histories.

WWI is easier than WWII because most of the books are out of copyright.   

Here are some samples:

305th Infantry, 77th Division
https://archive.org/details/cu31924027818461

From Upton the Meuse, 307th Infantry, 77th Division
https://archive.org/details/fromuptontomeuse00rainrich/page/n7

313th Infantry, 79th Division, "Baltimore's Own"
https://archive.org/details/historyof313thus00thor/page/n5

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden."   Grantland Rice, New York Herald Tribune, October 18th, 1924. 

Notre Dame wins at Army, 13 - 7, Oct. 18, 1924

Notre Dame undefeated 1924
Coach: Knute Rockne

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #4609 on: November 10, 2018, 11:14:40 PM »
Just finished, "Rebel Yell" by S.C. Gwynne, an excellent biography of Stonewall Jackson.  :bd:

I've got Rebel Yell here on my nightstand.  I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline Sir Slash

• Longbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #4610 on: November 16, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
How far along are you Toonces?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #4611 on: November 16, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Early.  Maybe 100 pages; I think I stopped just after he earned his first star.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG

Offline bob48

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #4612 on: November 17, 2018, 06:39:56 AM »
I recently read Sherman's autobiography which I thought was very interesting. Enjoyed it, it was a good read.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #4613 on: November 17, 2018, 03:34:51 PM »
Just started The Indian World of George Washington. Fascinating topic, but this is very dense, like a college text.

May skim it and then move on to Autumn of the Black Snake, about the founding of the US Army in the late 18th century, to expand US borders and fight Indian tribes.
"Grogheads should be the only tribe on this site.”

- Besilarius, Community Sage