What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: MetalDog on July 27, 2014, 11:16:54 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 27, 2014, 08:48:46 PM
Hell, back when I was young, a WOT type book used to be done in 3 days! Many books were done in 3 days. Now my eyes get tired looking at a screen for 3 hrs. Fuckers.

Thanks, Gramps.  Any other words of wisdom from the 19th Century?

The only good reason to ride a bull, is to meet the nurse.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on July 26, 2014, 02:40:43 PM
Actually, on average I don't read more than 2 hours a day.  Maybe 3 hours a day on my days off.

Yep, as you're now well aware, it's quite doable to get through three WoT books a month like that; the whole series can be polished off in just under 5 months.

Quote from: Martok on July 27, 2014, 10:55:56 AM
Ironically, 2 hours a day is a dramatic reduction by my standards.  It used to be that 4-6 hours was the norm.  :-[ 

Q
F
T
!
:buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 28, 2014, 06:48:47 AM
That sounds like a mistranslated Chinese proverb.  ??? 

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 28, 2014, 08:22:39 AM
Quote from: Martok on July 26, 2014, 02:40:43 PM
Actually, on average I don't read more than 2 hours a day.  Maybe 3 hours a day on my days off.

Yep, as you're now well aware, it's quite doable to get through three WoT books a month like that; the whole series can be polished off in just under 5 months.
Well I'd originally predicted around 30 weeks (or just over 7 months) for myself, and thus far, I seem to be roughly on track to meet that estimate.  That number factors in that I'm also planning to read New Spring in between CoT and KoD, which I'm guessing will take an additional week or so. 

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 28, 2014, 08:22:39 AM
Quote from: Martok on July 27, 2014, 10:55:56 AM
Ironically, 2 hours a day is a dramatic reduction by my standards.  It used to be that 4-6 hours was the norm.  :-[ 

Q
F
T
!
:buck2:

Good to know that at least I'm not the only one.  There's a certain (if slightly grim) comfort in that.  :P 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Martok on July 28, 2014, 12:26:34 PM

Just one of the cheesy lines from the melodrama I'm in.

MetalDog

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 28, 2014, 01:30:59 PM
Quote from: Martok on July 28, 2014, 12:26:34 PM

Just one of the cheesy lines from the melodrama I'm in.

In the 19th Century?  ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

It's an Old West show I'm doing, starting this weekend. And yes, it takes place in the 19th century.

Got the costume down to the gun belt and holster and everything.  :coolsmiley:

BanzaiCat

Just started David Drake's The Tank Lords.

Gusington

Did you get assless chaps as well?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2014, 06:33:19 PM
Did you get assless chaps as well?

I could have, as there are places to purchase such things.

ERRR OR SO I HAVE HEARD.

But, alas, I cannot, as this is a family-friendly show.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Well, there IS the 'after midnight' show...

Martok

"The Hump".  "The Slog".  "The Heavy Middle". 

Whatever you want to call it, it's finally behind me.  I finished Crossroads of Twilight, book 10 in The Wheel of Time, last night, which means the toughest part of the series (at least to read) is now done with.  I started the prequel New Spring this morning (since it was released in between books 10 and 11), after which I will resume with the main storyline. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

JasonPratt

I'll be curious what you think of TNS. I started it at some point (can't recall when, after TFoH maybe), got through a few chapters, and then gave up and went back to WoT.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 05, 2014, 12:42:12 PM
I'll be curious what you think of TNS. I started it at some point (can't recall when, after TFoH maybe), got through a few chapters, and then gave up and went back to WoT.
Well I'd already read New Spring before, along with the first time I read Knife of Dreams back in 2007.  I liked it well enough, although I don't remember exactly how much at this point (given how long it's been). 

What was it about NS you couldn't get into?  Anything in particular? 

JasonPratt

When Siuan and Moiraine started to meander around in search of the plot, I suddenly realized with stunning clarity I didn't actually care.

I knew they weren't going to find the Dragon Reborn, and I didn't especially care about learning more how she found Lan (if she even did, since I knew RJ had originally planned this as the beginning of a 3-part prequel and I couldn't remember from what I had heard whether he had even gotten that far), and with The Slog coming up and several more books to cover before even reaching CoT which I only knew by reputation yet -- but by very accurate reputation from fellow WoT fans -- I had to ask myself why I would waste my time before even quite starting the Slog on a story that hadn't started off at anything like a gripping pace in what felt like the first 10 chapters (I don't recall exactly how many -- they had been going through the registrations of the women already after collecting themmmmzzzzzz for at least one chapterish portion) and which I knew for an absolute fact wasn't going to advance the plot any further?

I had put off reading it this long until my ultimate (and maybe final) readthrough, in honor of MemLight's release (and good reviews since KoD), and... well, I gave it a starting chance and just could not find the wherewithal to care.  :buck2: I had real WoT books to read, including three I already knew I kind-of-liked, and one I hated (which killed the series for me), and one I was probably going to hate, before getting back to the good books. If I finished the story and found I had regained caring I'd go back. But I didn't. I honestly can't imagine even starting with it some day years from now in another fond readthrough.

I realize I might be missing out on some reasonably awesome things happening later in the book than the first quarter or third that I got through. But even other fans I've read who liked the book never seemed particularly enthused about it. So, eh. I might enjoy reading whassername's humorous chapter-by-chapter summary/commentary on it perhaps.