What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Quote from: MetalDog on July 17, 2014, 06:25:57 PM
I just recently (in the last six weeks) re-read Icewind Dale.  I enjoyed it.  It read very much like a D&D adventure.  And the characters are good, if a bit stock.

I am nearing the end of The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition and I feel it is as MetalDog described. I liked Drizzt in The Dark Elf Trilogy better.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

vyshka

Quote from: Greybriar on July 19, 2014, 06:24:48 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on July 17, 2014, 06:25:57 PM
I just recently (in the last six weeks) re-read Icewind Dale.  I enjoyed it.  It read very much like a D&D adventure.  And the characters are good, if a bit stock.

I am nearing the end of The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition and I feel it is as MetalDog described. I liked Drizzt in The Dark Elf Trilogy better.

My plan is to tackle The Dark Elf Trilogy after Icewind Dale. I was debating which to go through first, and opinion online seemed split over which way to go since Icewind was written prior to Dark Elf.

Anyone jumped into this Kindle Unlimited thing Amazon has started? $10/month for unlimited reading. The selection is a subset of the titles that they carry though. From what I can tell no Asimov, or Heinlein, but it does have Tolkien, and Clarke.

TacticalWargames

Anyone know what the Warhammer books are like? I'm heavily into WH40K books at the inute and wonder what the Warhammer ones I like. I have the Elves omnibus in my Amazon wish list.

Greybriar

Quote from: vyshka on July 19, 2014, 09:57:44 AM
My plan is to tackle The Dark Elf Trilogy after Icewind Dale. I was debating which to go through first, and opinion online seemed split over which way to go since Icewind was written prior to Dark Elf...

I read all that, too. But to read them in chronological order, I read The Dark Elf trilogy before I read The Icewind Dale Trilogy. And I'm glad I did.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

vyshka

Quote from: Greybriar on July 19, 2014, 02:18:08 PM
Quote from: vyshka on July 19, 2014, 09:57:44 AM
My plan is to tackle The Dark Elf Trilogy after Icewind Dale. I was debating which to go through first, and opinion online seemed split over which way to go since Icewind was written prior to Dark Elf...

I read all that, too. But to read them in chronological order, I read The Dark Elf trilogy before I read The Icewind Dale Trilogy. And I'm glad I did.

I guess since I haven't really started  (a couple pages in) maybe I'll jump over to Homeland and read them first.

airboy

Finished Monster Hunter Nemesis - which was excellent!

JasonPratt

Airboy,

I've forgotten the context of that title -- is it based on the popular handheld "Monster Hunter" game series?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bob48

I've almost completed the free kindle book, von Moltke's book on the Franco-Prussian war. Its a very interesting read, but I keep wanting a map and some counters.............

Also picked up a book on the 79th Armoured Div which looks good.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Continuing my sojourn through The Wheel of Time, I'm now a couple hundred pages into the tenth book, Crossroads of Twilight...and I've run into "The Slog" at last. 

It's still not dragging as much as I remembered or feared it would, but the pace has definitely fallen off compared to the earlier books.  Even Winter's Heart (which isn't exactly noted for leaving you breathless and on the edge of your seat) wasn't this bad. 

It's not that the book deals with uninteresting stuff per se, it's just that a lot of it isn't terribly relevant and/or important to the main storylines.  It's almost as if Jordan decided to use CoT primarily as a vehicle for more world-building and character development in the middle of the series -- something the OCD "completionist" in me can certainly understand, but you don't want to do these things at the cost of stalling the various plot threads. 

Fortunately, I know I have only this one book to get through before everything ramps back up in dramatic fashion, so that makes it a lot easier to get through.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

Martok, how much time, typically, do you spend reading?  To get through that much verbiage, you have to be spending several hours at a sitting.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Actually, on average I don't read more than 2 hours a day.  Maybe 3 hours a day on my days off. 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

MetalDog

And therein lies the rub.  I am reading a series now that has slowed down considerably for me.  The first two books went fairly quick.  The third is a slog.  And in analyzing why I though that, I realized that I devoted large chunks of time to getting through the first two books.  Now that I am giving the third book twenty minutes or so at bedtime, I find I like it (the book) less. 

Having said that, remembering back to my time with Wheel Of Time, all I remember is copious amounts of time spent for very little gain.  So, you have my salute for getting through without bogging down.

Martok

Ironically, 2 hours a day is a dramatic reduction by my standards.  It used to be that 4-6 hours was the norm.  :-[ 

Quote from: MetalDog on July 26, 2014, 08:45:56 PM
Having said that, remembering back to my time with Wheel Of Time, all I remember is copious amounts of time spent for very little gain.  So, you have my salute for getting through without bogging down.
Heh, thanks.  :crazy2:  What seems to have helped more than just about anything else has been my own skewed memories/perceptions -- that, or I'm (for whatever reason) simply finding them a lot easier to get through now.  (Good lord, does that maturity helps in enjoying this series?  And does that, in turn, mean I've matured in the last seven years?  Gods help me...) 

Whatever the case may be, I'd recalled the pacing in books 7-10 as being much, much worse than they've actually turned out to be (in fact, CoS and PoD read almost as easily as the first 6 books for me), so pretty much all surprises have been pleasant ones so far.  And it certainly has been fun to rediscover things along the way ("Oh, right!  I'd forgotten about that!").  8)  It really has been enjoyable for me; it's almost like getting reacquainted with old friends again. 

Mr. Bigglesworth

Hell, back when I was young, a WOT type book used to be done in 3 days! Many books were done in 3 days. Now my eyes get tired looking at a screen for 3 hrs. Fuckers.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 27, 2014, 08:48:46 PM
Hell, back when I was young, a WOT type book used to be done in 3 days! Many books were done in 3 days. Now my eyes get tired looking at a screen for 3 hrs. Fuckers.

Thanks, Gramps.  Any other words of wisdom from the 19th Century?