Author Topic: Feedback on video review of Zulus on the Ramparts  (Read 2620 times)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
Feedback on video review of Zulus on the Ramparts
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »
Monty's finally got another video ready to go.  Check out the review and offer your thoughts below!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline spelk

• Man-at-Arms
    • sugarfreegamer
Re: Feedback on video review of Zulus on the Ramparts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:24:38 AM »
Really enjoyed the video SoM, was absolutely drooling all the way through. I simply HAVE to get myself a copy of the 2nd Edition. Those components look terrific!

VPG have recently being putting effort into this my favourite States of Siege solo game, and I am truly pleased to see both an update to the boardgame as well as the release of the iPad/Android version. One small comment would be, I don't think all the supplemental cards are available in the mobile version - like the Zulu film card, and the additional characters and situations. I could be wrong, but I'm sure that's the case. Perhaps that will be future DLC for the game?

The game was presented really well, with a full review of all the components, I can almost smell the soot on the stands! The rules are fairly simple, but they always come across as a little difficult to explain, I think because a lot of the exceptions/actions available are all very similar, usually manipulating the free action count, or passing the same people in and out of the draw deck. Ultimately though, I thought you did a fine job in getting across the general concepts behind the game, and you even highlighted some of the special cases, and interesting events that make the game a tense but varied experience.

Kudos for the review, SoM. +1, Like, etc. :)

The one aspect that really struck me as clever when I first played the game, was that the "AI" is built into the draw chits. As well as containing the Impi movements patterns, there are other bonuses, or drawbacks that can really swing the game, and force the player into situations that they weren't expecting. Couple this with the night time effects, ammo, and the building of barracades, all sapping your ability to perform actions, and you really feel the rush of adrenaline when you manage to get a successful volley off with good odds to push the baying Zulus back! Even a disastrous fire in the storehouse or hospital becomes a bonus at night time! The flow of the game and the circumstances that hem you in, and force you to make very diffifcult decisions, is all conferred from a handful of chits, picked anonymously from a pot. Sheer brilliance!

Offline TheCommandTent

• Crossbowman
  • On your left flank!
    • The Command Tent
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 08:16:43 PM »
Nice review SoM!  Favorite part, "mmmhh smells a little bit like barbeque."   ;D

Seriously though I am tempted to get this and if not the boardgame than the Android App.
“No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is.”

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt-at-Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Blunderbuster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
Great review, Chris. I'm really impressed with the quality of the cards and game pieces, as well as the suitability for solitaire. Well done.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"You have me confused with MetalDog. He's the stoner. I'm the drunk.".....Mirth

Offline Double Deuce

• Viking
  • East Tennessee
    • Combat Campaigns
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »
Thanks for the review SoM. I have Soviet Dawn (and the Expansion) which use the older format, i.e. slightly lower quality components but love that system. If that's the way they are headed with the  States of Siege series as far as components I definitely need to pick up some of the other games. Having seem the components for Zulus on the Ramparts that's probably be the next one I will get.
Prince Hohenlohe in the "Six Days in October" Forum Kriegsspiel
Combat Campaigns Blog

Offline FrontierCybrarian

• Equites
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:13:27 AM »
Son of Montfort, a very thorough and professional review of the Zulu board game...but that is nothing new from you. Your threads/posts have always been thoughtful, well-researched, respectful, and informative. Keep up the great work and we all benefit thereby. Best to you!
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
^^ hey!  A Cybrarian sighting!  ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Bismarck

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:58:17 AM »
Good review. The iPad version is slightly different but I must play more before I comment further.
Jim Cobb

Offline TheCommandTent

• Crossbowman
  • On your left flank!
    • The Command Tent
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
Good review. The iPad version is slightly different but I must play more before I comment further.

When you have please let us know more.
“No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is.”

Offline GroggyGrognard

• Equites
  • Magister Generalis Of The Bellum Ludus
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 02:36:08 AM »
Nicely done video review. 2nd edition is quite the improvement, production wise.
“Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government.”
― Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

Offline Bismarck

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »
The iPad version plays like the video review but with a good tutorial, nice graphics and easy mechanics. Winning is tough and depends on understanding the hero cards and luck, Instead of dice, one spins ala a slot machine.
Jim Cobb