Author Topic: At The Gates Makes It!  (Read 6914 times)

Offline CJReich46

• Viking
  • His Mind Is NOT for Rent
Re: At The Gates Makes It!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:42 PM »
I saw something about Shafer was going to make an announcement I think it was on reddit last night (?); however, I am glad to hear it he's finally finishing it.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all.  - James Graham 1st Marquess of Montrose

Offline RedArgo

• Viking
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 08:42:14 PM »
Saw this link to Jon Schaffer's blog on Qto3.

https://jonshaferondesign.com/2019/01/09/how-at-the-gates-took-7-years-of-my-life-and-nearly-the-rest/

Looks like he had some tough times, hopefully coming out stronger at the end.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
I'm hard-pressed to find the excitement in this one...it doesn't look all that impressive when compared to the paradox titles, or even to the Civ games. It seems to incorporate a few neat ideas, but I don't see these being implemented across the game system and they almost come across as gimmicky to me.

I hope its really good because we can never have too many 4x options, but there is just little I have seen about this one that excites me...

I know I should keep my mouth shut on this, but I'm also finding it hard to be sympathetic about the whole development struggle. I mean, Shafer beat his drug addiction and I'm really happy for him about that. I'm also happy that he is living a healthier balanced life style now.  However, something about blaming the stress of game development on leading to a very long development cycle and an unhealthy, dangerous lifestyle/drug addiction rubs me the wrong way. I'll leave it at that for now.

Anyway, I hope the game is successful and that we are able to see more from Shafer in the future. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:00:38 AM by Jarhead0331 »
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt at Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • Sic nos sic sacra tuemur
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »
Yeah, best of luck to Shafer and I hope his future blossoms, but this game looked more way more exciting to me back in 2013.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"-- insert Steelie rant here--"......Sir Slash

Offline RedArgo

• Viking
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
Yeah, best of luck to Shafer and I hope his future blossoms, but this game looked more way more exciting to me back in 2013.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
I'm hard-pressed to find the excitement in this one...it doesn't look all that impressive when compared to the paradox titles, or even to the Civ games. It seems to incorporate a few neat ideas, but I don't see these being implemented across the game system and they almost come across as gimmicky to me.

I hope its really good because we can never have too many 4x options, but there is just little I have seen about this one that excites me...

I know I should keep my mouth shut on this, but I'm also finding it hard to be sympathetic about the whole development struggle. I mean, Shafer beat his drug addiction and I'm really happy for him about that. I'm also happy that he is living a healthier balanced life style now.  However, something about blaming the stress of game development on leading to a very long development cycle and an unhealthy, dangerous lifestyle/drug addiction rubs me the wrong way. I'll leave it at that for now.

Anyway, I hope the game is successful and that we are able to see more from Shafer in the future.

Similar feelings as myself.  I absolutely wish him the best and glad to see he worked himself out of dark places.  But I would be lying if I said his history didn't worry me.  If I were to buy the game, I would be concerned about his long term commitment, ability to get out timely patches, and provide future expansions.  Certainly a game not buying at first, will wait to see reviews and actual commitment....plus, how much plans to charge for it.

Offline Tpek

• Condottieri
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 02:44:33 PM »
The game is out on Steam.

Has anyone here tried it already?

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 03:03:10 PM »
Release asking price is $27.

I'm a sucker for games like this, but I'll be waiting until I've played some other things in my stable first.
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 03:36:08 PM »
I will need to see reviews first and commitment to the support.  Does intrigue me though.

Offline Tpek

• Condottieri
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »
Found a review via the Steam forum:

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »
its also reviewed at RPS. No homosexual undertones or gender/sex identity issues  in game though, so the review is lukewarm.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 04:22:11 PM »
You mean you can't have an empire of fat genderfluid women with pink and blue hair?!  RPS must hate it!

Offline glen55

• Viking
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 06:11:09 PM »
its also reviewed at RPS. No homosexual undertones or gender/sex identity issues  in game though, so the review is lukewarm.

I think "lukewarm" is an optimistic assessment: they think it's boring.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/23/jon-shafers-at-the-gates-review/

Although, to tell the truth, "slow pace" is typically not an issue with me, so long as it has a pace.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Kushan

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2019, 06:26:27 PM »
Watched parts of a few reviews, not really impressed enough to bite the bullet on it right now.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play