Author Topic: At The Gates Makes It!  (Read 5450 times)

Offline CJReich46

• Viking
Re: At The Gates Makes It!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:42 PM »
I saw something about Shafer was going to make an announcement I think it was on reddit last night (?); however, I am glad to hear it he's finally finishing it.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all.  - James Graham 1st Marquess of Montrose

Offline RedArgo

• Viking
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 08:42:14 PM »
Saw this link to Jon Schaffer's blog on Qto3.

https://jonshaferondesign.com/2019/01/09/how-at-the-gates-took-7-years-of-my-life-and-nearly-the-rest/

Looks like he had some tough times, hopefully coming out stronger at the end.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
I'm hard-pressed to find the excitement in this one...it doesn't look all that impressive when compared to the paradox titles, or even to the Civ games. It seems to incorporate a few neat ideas, but I don't see these being implemented across the game system and they almost come across as gimmicky to me.

I hope its really good because we can never have too many 4x options, but there is just little I have seen about this one that excites me...

I know I should keep my mouth shut on this, but I'm also finding it hard to be sympathetic about the whole development struggle. I mean, Shafer beat his drug addiction and I'm really happy for him about that. I'm also happy that he is living a healthier balanced life style now.  However, something about blaming the stress of game development on leading to a very long development cycle and an unhealthy, dangerous lifestyle/drug addiction rubs me the wrong way. I'll leave it at that for now.

Anyway, I hope the game is successful and that we are able to see more from Shafer in the future. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:00:38 AM by Jarhead0331 »
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Steelgrave

• Sgt at Arms
  • Global Moderator
  • Musketeer
  • Sic nos sic sacra tuemur
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:28 AM »
Yeah, best of luck to Shafer and I hope his future blossoms, but this game looked more way more exciting to me back in 2013.
"Nice job, Steelie. I think you've offended everyone in this thread"  O0  .......Mirth

"-- insert Steelie rant here--"......Sir Slash

Offline RedArgo

• Viking
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »
Yeah, best of luck to Shafer and I hope his future blossoms, but this game looked more way more exciting to me back in 2013.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
I'm hard-pressed to find the excitement in this one...it doesn't look all that impressive when compared to the paradox titles, or even to the Civ games. It seems to incorporate a few neat ideas, but I don't see these being implemented across the game system and they almost come across as gimmicky to me.

I hope its really good because we can never have too many 4x options, but there is just little I have seen about this one that excites me...

I know I should keep my mouth shut on this, but I'm also finding it hard to be sympathetic about the whole development struggle. I mean, Shafer beat his drug addiction and I'm really happy for him about that. I'm also happy that he is living a healthier balanced life style now.  However, something about blaming the stress of game development on leading to a very long development cycle and an unhealthy, dangerous lifestyle/drug addiction rubs me the wrong way. I'll leave it at that for now.

Anyway, I hope the game is successful and that we are able to see more from Shafer in the future.

Similar feelings as myself.  I absolutely wish him the best and glad to see he worked himself out of dark places.  But I would be lying if I said his history didn't worry me.  If I were to buy the game, I would be concerned about his long term commitment, ability to get out timely patches, and provide future expansions.  Certainly a game not buying at first, will wait to see reviews and actual commitment....plus, how much plans to charge for it.