Author Topic: Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]  (Read 115519 times)

Phobos

Re: Dom 3 slow game (5 day turnaround)[Looking for players]
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2013, 02:43:07 AM »
Sounds good.  I might try Bogarus.  If someone else wants them, I could try Pangaea, Man or something else.

Offline undercovergeek

• Arquebusier
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2013, 04:11:08 AM »
ill go for Ulm

Offline parone

• Viking
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »
ill take ctis in EA or LA if no one else wants em.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »
Sweet!

(Now all we need is a 3rd mp game with MA...  ;D)

I had originally made a floating call for whichever was left over out of Mankind's Towers of Chelms, the Human Jomon Daimyos, or Ermor's Ashen Empires (because hey I might as well win. :D) Whoever first chose the other two, I'd auto-take the third, and if no one took those picks I'd choose whichever seems to best balance the other chosen factions. (I've never played any LA factions at all, btw.)

In alphabetical order thus far:

Airboy: called Abysia for EA, so may or may not still be playing LA Abysia's Blood of Humans, mostly blood mages with some fire giants.

Birdyman: goes with Midgard, the LA version of Vanheim, somewhat balancing against Utgard if Corwin decides to take the LA Niefels.

Corwin123: currently unknown, wanted to play Niefelheim in EA. Utgard the Well of Urd would be their descendants in LA. Lots of frost giants, some vikings and witches, very scary on the field. No bows or heavy cav, but their version of light cav probably counts as anyone else's heavy cav! They're also the only faction that can throw the spell named after Dom3's developers, "Illwinter".  8) If Corwin still wants to play Niefel, this will certainly be the recommended faction.

Huw the Poo: wins with the Ashen Empire (unless maybe Bogarus can stop him).  ;D

JasonPratt: Based on the list so far (Sat afternoon 2:00 my time), with the Ashen Empire taken and a lot of western human factions on the board, I've decided to go with the eastern human Jomon Daimyos, the samurai faction. HITEN MITSURYUGI STYLE, AMAKAKERU RYO NO HIRAMEKI!

Parone: goes with C'tis, the mummy lizards of the Desert Tombs!  8)

Phobos: Bogarus (a nation added in the 3.14 patch, so not mentioned in the printed instructions, probably). Basically Dom3's version of medieval Russian Orthodox, mixed with some pagan Russian mythology. A fine choice, and one of the relatively more ethical factions. Possibly our only hope against the Ashen Empire.

Undercovergeek: picks Black Forest Ulm, basically the westward next door neighbors of Bogarus. Relatively little magic (kind of death oriented), lots of ironclad (and foresty) buttkicking.

Yskonyn (the game host): still unknown

That's nine players so far (not counting whoever may join the game after this post) -- have I missed any?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:06:59 PM by JasonPratt »
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

The GROGPUBLIC OF ROME ongoing forum game thread

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 09:01:51 AM »
Jason, thanks for the summary.  Would you mind if I took Ermor?  I'm playing early age Ermor in the other game so I think it might be fun and educational to see how they are late age too.

Offline byrdman57

• Equites
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
Hi There, I was referred to this thread from the Desura forums. I've never played a multiplayer Dom3 game before, but if you're accepting of newbs, I'd like to join. I'd be interested in playing Midgard if no one has picked that one yet. Thanks.

Offline undercovergeek

• Arquebusier
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2013, 12:36:11 PM »
welcome byrdman - is that 9 now?

keep an eye on the first post for Yskonyn's updates and when we kick off

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
Hi Byrdman, welcome to Grogheads!  Thanks for signing up.  Don't worry, you won't be the only noob in this game. :)

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »
Jason, thanks for the summary.  Would you mind if I took Ermor?  I'm playing early age Ermor in the other game so I think it might be fun and educational to see how they are late age too.

They are a LOT different in Late Age! And balance out the Rus faction, too -- I was thinking of taking them for that reason if no one else did first.

Birdyman, Midgard is still uncalled, so I'll add you to the later list a couple posts back (from which Ys will update the first post eventually.)
FIRE IN THE GROGS TOO -- a four-player full team mp of GMT's Vietnam War boardgame Fire in the Lake, recreated in TTS.

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
Note: with nine factions we should choose or generate a map not much larger than ((6x2) + (6x1) + 1) * 9) == (((6x3)+1)*9) == 19x9 == 171 provinces. If we want to average no more than two free steps from home base in any direction.

Or if we want to average three free steps from home base in any direction, ((6x3) + (6x2) + (6x1) + 1) * 9) == (((6x6)+1)*9) == 37x9 == 333 provinces.

Offline undercovergeek

• Arquebusier
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
how bigs the cradle?

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
199 land + 22 sea.

Still a bit big for 9 players on only a two step stretch, but a lot more crowded (relatively) on a three step stretch.

Still, a three step stretch means every player has 37 provinces (in theory) to work with. Even 19 provinces is a lot of room, until you start bumping into someone else sending out scouts only two steps from their home. ;)

Put another way, on Cradle every player (in a set of 9) would have an average of 22 land provinces. That's bigger than a two step radius, but not much.

Midgard gets easy sea travel, though!

Offline undercovergeek

• Arquebusier
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2013, 01:59:35 PM »
199 land + 22 sea.

Still a bit big for 9 players on only a two step stretch, but a lot more crowded (relatively) on a three step stretch.

Still, a three step stretch means every player has 37 provinces (in theory) to work with. Even 19 provinces is a lot of room, until you start bumping into someone else sending out scouts only two steps from their home. ;)

Put another way, on Cradle every player (in a set of 9) would have an average of 22 land provinces. That's bigger than a two step radius, but not much.

Midgard gets easy sea travel, though!

how long do we want to leave the door open?

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2013, 02:36:57 PM »
Yeah we have a decent number now.  God knows I'm ready.

Offline parone

• Viking
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2013, 03:49:30 PM »
9 is no where near enough on cradle.  but there are plenty of smaller maps if we want to go with 9.  they wont be all that balanced, but honestly, you need like 15 for cradle(or more)