Strategic RPGFPSOMGWTFBBQ werewolfery

Started by JasonPratt, February 28, 2013, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

...okay, I have to confess. I have needs.

And one of those needs, is to roleplay as one of two werewolf brothers in 18th century Canada, constantly outnumbered and overpowered by devilish enemies (and human soldiers/lackeys) thus requiring that I constantly use strategic cunning and fear to win and save my kidnapped sister from Satan.

I also confess that this is a suspiciously complex and detailed need. Also, it may point to having a complex.

Fortunately, next month is March. And aside from something to do with leprechauns, March is also the month when Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves releases on Steam. (Possibly elsewhere, too, but it's a Steam Greenlight project.)

I've already bumped this game to the top of my next-buy list. Now I just need to finish seven or so other games first.

You may feel free to pray for me now.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

son_of_montfort

Are the brothers werewolves or are they fighting werewolves? I was not clear about that.

The game does look really interesting. If pulled off correctly, it could be a heck of a lot of fun!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Hmmm.

I'm not sure if this will help at all, Jason, but I'll toss it out there. For one reason or another lost to me now I found myself looking for werewolf games.

According to my research, this one is the top pick: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38159/ultimate-werewolf-ultimate-edition

Amazon has it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MB398O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003MB398O&linkCode=as2&tag=grogheads-20

I've never played it - just chased down something that looked pretty good.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JasonPratt

The brothers are werewolves fighting demonic (and I think occasionally human) forces, possibly also including other werewolves on occasion. As wolves they're just intelligent wolves (as far as I can tell from the promos), as humans they use weapons.

LongBlade, that game reminds me of the movie The Beast Must Die.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

I was checking this out a few days ago and wondered just how much "tower defense" junk it had in it. 

After the mention of setting traps and fighting off any that get through, it sounds like an Orcs Must Die! clone.  Which will make Longblade a happy werewolf hunter but still makes me wonder how the mix is.

Edit:  Also - I didn't see any mention of multi-player co-op, which I'd expect to be a big draw for something like Orcs Must Die.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2013, 04:56:53 PM
Edit:  Also - I didn't see any mention of multi-player co-op, which I'd expect to be a big draw for something like Orcs Must Die.

I have played exactly one multiplayer game of Orcs Must Die.

I liked it, but nobody else seems to love it like I do. Also, it's too bad I can't give partners my skulls because I've pretty much made every unlock and have about 800 sitting around doing nothing.

Tpek

I've tried the beta of Sang Froid a bit (having pre-ordered it).
I still didn't see enough to really form an opinion but it is somewhat interesting.

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on February 28, 2013, 05:47:25 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2013, 04:56:53 PM

I have played exactly one multiplayer game of Orcs Must Die.

I liked it, but nobody else seems to love it like I do. Also, it's too bad I can't give partners my skulls because I've pretty much made every unlock and have about 800 sitting around doing nothing.

I've not even tried OMD.  But seeing as this Werewolvery thing is similar, but has the unusual setting, the latter may get me off the fence to check it out. 

Sad to hear you've not played your favorite smash-em-up in multiplayer.  I'm pretty sure OMD was designed for multiplayer co-op, no?  That's why I'm a bit surprised Werewolver, here, may not support it.  ???

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Looks like a level higher in complexity than OMD. Still, I'm thinking it could be fun.

LongBlade

Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2013, 06:51:59 PM
I've not even tried OMD.  But seeing as this Werewolvery thing is similar, but has the unusual setting, the latter may get me off the fence to check it out. 

Sad to hear you've not played your favorite smash-em-up in multiplayer.  I'm pretty sure OMD was designed for multiplayer co-op, no?  That's why I'm a bit surprised Werewolver, here, may not support it.  ???

OMD is great fun. It's a hybrid FPS/tower defense.

While I'd like to do some MP, single is fine. It's a great way to just relax and have fun.

tgb

I watched a video of a couple of the IGN guys playing it.  It seems to be a little tower defense, a little ARPG.  Some interesting skill upgrades.  Plus, during the day, you work as a lumberjack to make money for equipment. 

I'm interested, but not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Arctic Blast

Nefaro

Quote from: LongBlade on February 28, 2013, 09:18:22 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 28, 2013, 06:51:59 PM

OMD is great fun. It's a hybrid FPS/tower defense.

While I'd like to do some MP, single is fine. It's a great way to just relax and have fun.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that it's gameplay reminded me of Orcs Must Die.  The mix of ARPG and Tower Defense. 

While I love ARPGs, I'm not so crazed about the Tower Defense part.  I always thought of the restricted little maps as being a bit of a content cop-out compared to creating a full-sized ARPG (or strategy game in many Tower Defense games), where your character is always exploring further into the unknown, because they didn't have to do as much work/randomization with map assets.  I suppose that's why there are so many - it's less work for a small indie crew to do.  Having trap planting as a big focus kinda detracts from the ARPG side of things, IMO, but I'll give this one the benefit of the doubt and give them some monies.  :)  It's just personal preference as I'm an Explorer type.   Too bad it may not have multi-player, though.  :-[

Nefaro

Dammit!

I grabbed it. 

Then I found out that it only runs in 1280x720 screen resolution.  It looks like ass on my 1680x1050 monitor.  After digging around for a settings file (nothing to fix this problem), I came across some of the old engine files.  And I do mean old.  There are notes from 2001 regarding the old Matrox G400 video cards having issues with whatever old engine this is, and notes about DirectX 7.  :o

I actually expected this to be somewhat modern.  I dunno if they're gonna be able to properly support most video resolutions.  What a let down.  The only way I'll end up playing this much is on the small Notebook (if I can even force it to play in a window?!) or if they somehow manage to shoehorn in proper resolution support for this old gfx engine, which isn't something that's often possible after a game is nearly finished - especially in an engine from earlier than 2001.

I should've investigated before purchasing.  Hell.. even Matrix' latest games support more than one screen resolution these days!
>:(