SOTS: The Pit...WTF!?!?

Started by Jarhead0331, February 20, 2013, 03:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I am pretty sure the beta had a save/load feature...
Not sure why they would get rid of that.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tpek

I was able to reach Sub-level 10 as a Level 7-8 Marine before the game crashed on me :P
Kinda fun TBH.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on February 21, 2013, 03:40:16 PM
This game is quite nice (from the little I got to play it).

It does however REALLY REALLY NEED a Save/Load system.
You shouldn't have to start a whole new game every darn time you have to exit the game.

It automatically saves your game if you exit (before dying).

Being, literally, a roguelike - it doesn't allow "save scumming" so you can't reload after you die.  It's all about the high score & how far you can get before you do get murderized.

As for the game, all the unlocking of containers seems to take up too much play time.  While it's cool that your skill distribution dictates how often & what types of loot containers you can open, the turns seem to pass rather slowly when you take five or six to pry open or repair something so you can use it.  I wish that moved along a bit faster, at least in real-time.

EDIT: Now that  there's been a report of a crash, it does give me concern about not having a quick save option of some kind.  That can be a problem with these games that only save when you exit - a CTD that wipes your hard-won progress.

I'm not sure if The Pit automatically makes a save every once in awhile or not.  Were you able to select "Load Game" from the menu when you started it back up, Tpek?

Tpek

Tpek

Yeah, it does work :)

And damn, this game is really addictive.

Nefaro

This thing can get really brutal, even for a roguelike. 

I was playing  an Engineer and made it to sub-level 9.  Opened a door to an armory room and saw two Security Bot Mk2s closer to the far side of the room so shut the door and went around to a closer entrance.  Because a door trap had zapped my only gun - the revolver I had started with.  So I was down to my Knife and a Virbro Sword I had luckily found, recently.  Anyway.. I opened the door closer to these bots, hoping to give them less time shooting me while I closed, and two of those damned huge Proto Beast things were right next to the door - and come at me (bro).  Ya know.. the kind that do damage to every weapon in your inventory every time they attack, and even more to a melee weapon you use on them?  Yeah.  That.  It took about three turns before all the rest of my weapons were gone and I was punching them with fists while that just made them divide up into the smaller (medium-sized) protean beasts, and their grapple ability held me in place.  X.X

I'd like to see more features in this thing and a bit speedier turn advancement.  But it's a decent roguelike, despite a few freebies having more meat to them.

EDIT... almost forgot:

Tips!

1) Close doors before opening/fixing the broken containers/work stations, if you think there may be critters nearby but don't want to waste time clearing further out before opening.

2) Listen for the sound cues.  Aliens & bots start making noises when they're near.  The audio in the game is rather quiet, and I have to turn my volume up a good deal to hear it better - but it's a great help.

3) Reload when you get some breathing room (you knew that already, right).  Use your knife or blade to dispatch the wounded or weak critters next to you, to save on ammo.

4) Raising your Lockpicking skill is always needed.  I suppose that's why it's first in the skill list.  I don't think higher weapon skill does much other than very slowly raise your damage potential.  Your Finesse rating looks to be what affects your accuracy, along with the accuracy rating of the weapon itself.  If you need to skip raising one of your higher-rated weapon skills during a level-up, don't be afraid to do so in order to raise one of your looting skills instead.

5) Crafting is a serious pain in the ass.  I don't think I'll learn many recipes without using Data Terminals and rolling well on the Decipher skill to find out some recipes.  Meanwhile, a lot of ingredients will suck up your inventory space after awhile, so dump some of the odd ones if need be.

Nefaro

Some crafting recipe hints I've received thus far:

1) Some kind of Medical Kit/Heal/Cure thingy --  Bindings, *?* , *?* , Bone Slivers = profit
(I suspect the one or both of the unknowns in the middle are the medical liquid ingredients shown as a colored syringe)

2) Something about BOTS. -- Cyber Brain, Energy Cell, Electronic Parts
   (Perhaps either a decoy that draws them in or some kind of control device? I've not created it yet.)

Those are the only deciphered hints I've had thus far.   Many of the Deciphered messages are just flavor text, or warnings regarding mob behavior.

Tpek

I generally play Marine on the easy difficulty, so it's not that brutal.
And I did encounter those huge white acid spewing tentacled monstrosities.
It destroyed nearly all my equipment.
And when I was finally able to take it down, it turned into 2 lesser version of itself  :o

son_of_montfort

OK, so I guess the backers just got the shaft then. Not happy about still having no code.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 22, 2013, 12:21:10 PM
OK, so I guess the backers just got the shaft then. Not happy about still having no code.

Have you tried contacting the devs?
And by contacting I mean pestering them with emails and frequenting their forum.

Nefaro

Yeah, SoM.  I'd be raising a stink on their forums if they haven't forked it over.  If one person had the issue, there are likely more so maybe they just need to be reminded who didn't get it?

Nefaro

Looks like they just released a $5 expansion for SOTS: The Pit, the roguelike.

It adds a couple new classes, some items & areas, and Psionic skills!

http://www.gamersgate.com/DLC-SOTSPMG/sword-of-the-stars-the-pit-mindgames

Once I get back to playing it, this will be mine.

Faux

One thing I don't like about these new roguelike(likes) is that they often have some kind of meta progression meaning the more you play the stronger your characters get. The Pit does this with crafting recipes that you have to discover by deciphering messages and once you've acquired all the recipes, the deciphering skill becomes completely useless. So basically you have to gimp bunch of your characters with this skill whose only purpose is to increase your meta power (which is obtainable by reading spoilers anyway) and has no impact on the gameplay itself. I view this as a serious design flaw and unfortunately it's quite commong nowadays. Rogue Legacy is a prime example of this as the whole point of the game is farming gold for persistent upgrades.

Nefaro

I'd say one of the worst offenders, of the game becoming easier the more you play it, is Rogues Talehttp://www.desura.com/games/rogues-tale

While I generally like that one, it's extremely difficult so each game is very short compared to others.  The biggest concern is that as you manage to collect specific sets of equipment, it'll give you extra starting kit for each new game to choose from (once you've unlocked it).  So it actually starts off brutally difficult and will become easier to survive the initial part once you've managed to gather some stuff.  While I like the concept of having to collect specific loot to unlock such starting 'classes', I thought the rewards made that initial cliff even higher.  He probably should've granted a freebie kit (warrior of course) at the beginning and then let people unlock all the others to even out the difficulty curve.

Anyway.. that one's a fun game but each session is rather short in comparison to most roguelikes.  I had spoken to the guy in-game (there's an in-game chat like that in TOME) and he says that he wants to expand on the content to make it longer, so hopefully that pans out as I'd like to see each session last longer before X.X

NOTE:  Last I checked, there was a free 'demo' version of Rogue's Tale .. perhaps on their home site (?) if you want to try it.