PC to Console (or vice versa): good ports!

Started by JasonPratt, February 14, 2013, 07:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Pursuant to the disappointing Aliens: Colonial Marines, let us cleanse our palate by remembering games which played well for both PC and Console. (I say "both" because by some reports A:CM plays significantly better on PC than on console.)

I have a theory there will be more of these games developed first for PC and then to console, but then when I started thinking of it I came up with more console games I liked with PC ports. So... let's see.

I'll get the most triumphantly obvious example of SKYRIM out of the way first. (PC to console port? Seems more like that than the other way around.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

smittyohio

Torchlight... might have even played better on the console due to the controller setup.
Battle Academy  (if you really stretch and say the iPad is a "console")

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 14, 2013, 07:22:45 AM

I'll get the most triumphantly obvious example of SKYRIM out of the way first. (PC to console port? Seems more like that than the other way around.)

As a lefty, I have to be the voice of dissent.  Skyrim's key remapping features suck balls.  Most lefties like to use the numpad as their default control scheme, replacing the WASD layout with the 8456 or 8426 setup.  Skyrim doesn't let you do this.  You have to use a 3rd party mod which works well enough, but the bindings show up as ASCII type code in the remap listings and hint pop ups. "Press 0xEE" to take all" for example.  This is becoming more and more of a problem recently. 

Off the top of my head, ther games that won't let you remap to numpad:

Deadspace
Deadspace 2
Walking Dead
Toy Soldiers
Orcs Must Die
Silent Hunter V

JasonPratt

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, for another couple of "duh" entries.

As these were originally intended to be rhythm-matching games, a staple of consoles, and the PC versions have significantly postdated console release for optimization, I'm going to categorize those (in lieu of corrected information) as Console To PC.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!