Train fever looking interesting....

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 03, 2013, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Not yet, although like you, I am tempted. If it turns out to be like Transport Tycoon, then its the game for me.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

steve58

I'm still holding off getting it...sounds like it still needs some work.  Heres a short review I just ran across from Strategy Informer.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Greybriar

I don't like purchasing a game that's released before it is completed, but I've been waiting for a worthy successor to Transport Tycoon for a long time. I probably would have waited a while longer had it not been for a friend of mine who spent 30 hours this past week playing Train Fever and whose tastes in PC games are usually very similar to my own.

So I took the plunge and purchased the game from Steam. Then I printed the Beginner's Guide to Train Fever by dakdak99. Hopefully Train Fever will keep me so entertained that I won't come up for air until the wee hours of the morning.

See you then!
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bob48

Looking forwards to hear what you think of it in due course, Greybriar.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Huw the Poo

Yeah, please do post some impressions when you get a chance.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Greybriar

I am sorry to say that I don't like Train Fever.  :(  Some of you may be like my friend and spend many hours playing and enjoying Train Fever, and more power to you if you do--my hat's off to you.

With its overlays Train Fever has more depth than Transport Tycoon, and the graphics are better. However, it is not as much fun to play. Hopefully it will be someday. In the meantime I hope the $35 it cost me will help the developers improve the game enough that the majority of players will have fun playing it sometime in the future. Perhaps I will be one of them.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

jomni

Quote from: Greybriar on September 16, 2014, 06:04:43 AM
I am sorry to say that I don't like Train Fever.  :(  Some of you may be like my friend and spend many hours playing and enjoying Train Fever, and more power to you if you do--my hat's off to you.

With its overlays Train Fever has more depth than Transport Tycoon, and the graphics are better. However, it is not as much fun to play. Hopefully it will be someday. In the meantime I hope the $35 it cost me will help the developers improve the game enough that the majority of players will have fun playing it sometime in the future. Perhaps I will be one of them.

You mean it's very deep and it sounds more like work than a game?

Greybriar

Quote from: jomni on September 16, 2014, 07:05:42 AM

You mean it's very deep and it sounds more like work than a game?

I mean some players may appreciate the overlays that add depth to Train Fever. I didn't. I prefer the simplicity of Transport Tycoon and Railroad Tycoon. The only overlay I made much use of was the contour overlay and if I wanted to determine the grade of a track I'm building, I would rather use the survey tool that Railroad Tycoon had than Train Fever's contour overlay. It's just simpler and easier to use.

Train Fever is similar in many ways to Transport Tycoon, but its way of doing things is more difficult. Despite having similar buildings with the same functions, they are harder to place on the map. Also the method of laying out routes seemed rather convoluted to me; a step backward from the older titles.

Perhaps I'm being too critical of the game and if somewhere down the road I change my tune, I will certainly let everyone know. But for right now it is more like work than a game.

Rayfer

James Allen on his Out of 8 site does a long video review. http://www.outofeight.info/2014/09/train-fever-gameplay-review.html   It was luke warm at best.

steve58

Just a heads up that Train Fever is on sale for the next ~46 hours on Steam for $21.  I was tempted to grab it when it first came out, but the lackluster reviews held me back.  Time to give it a second look...   
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

Yeah, looks like they've kept busy on it after release too.  My boy is obsessed with trains so I may well grab it this time.

steve58

...I've been kinda hoping to see a really good discount on TF during the Winter Sale and now more so.

USA DLC to be released in February 2015
DECEMBER 24    - WEBER.BASIL
Today we officially announce a first Train Fever DLC. The DLC will be available for free in February 2015 and will include more than 50 typical American locomotives, train cars, buses, streetcars and trucks.

But it's not only vehicles: When starting a new game, players can choose whether to play in a European or American environment then. Terrain, vegetation and towns will look different dependent on the player's choice as well.

At the same time, modding capabilities will be extended. We will not only reduce the number of currently hard-coded implementation parts, but also improve the handling of mods in general: Mods can then be activated or deactivated in-game and save games will remember which mods are active.

We have observed the modding scene (especially on http://www.train-fever.net/) during the last months and we are absolutely excited by the huge amount of great content created there. Because we are not able to model all vehicle by ourselves and because many modders like to contribute, we have decided to involve the modding scene in the development of the USA DLC. Therefore we officially invite all modders to take part here[www.train-fever.com].

This said, we would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 2014 was an amazing year for us and you can be sure that we won't stop listening to the community, developing new features and improving the game also in 2015.

PS: You can find the official teaser image for the USA DLC on our website[www.train-fever.com].

Huw the Poo

Wow, good on them.  This is moving higher up my wishlist.

Pete Dero

Quote from: steve58 on December 25, 2014, 10:25:15 AM
...I've been kinda hoping to see a really good discount on TF during the Winter Sale and now more so.

-40% for the next 48 hours on steam