Train fever looking interesting....

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 03, 2013, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Saw some info on this future train tycoon type of game on another site, looks like it could have potential if they are able to get the funding and complete it.  Link to a gameplay video page.

http://www.train-fever.com/2012/10/new-gameplay-video/

bob48

Oh yes!

I played Transport Tycoon until my fingers dropped off - one of the most addictive games ever. I would buy this, no question about it.

Thanks for the link, Grim.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: bob48 on February 03, 2013, 03:46:40 PM
Oh yes!

I played Transport Tycoon until my fingers dropped off - one of the most addictive games ever. I would buy this, no question about it.

Thanks for the link, Grim.

No problem...just from the limited gameplay video, looks like it could be fun.  I hope they are able to complete it.

son_of_montfort

Woah... I've been waiting for a game like this to come into being. I like Cities in Motion, but that is a bit more limited in scope for me. And the A-Train series is just too darn difficult to deal with.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

So how does this investing thing work?  If I invest and they don't make their goal, do I get my money back?  And if they do make their goal, but never deliver the game, are you able to get your money back?  Or are you basically gambling they will come through?

Greybriar

An updated Transport Tycoon would be awesome. No other game since has scratched that itch for me so far.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 03, 2013, 07:04:06 PM
So how does this investing thing work?  If I invest and they don't make their goal, do I get my money back?  And if they do make their goal, but never deliver the game, are you able to get your money back?  Or are you basically gambling they will come through?

If they don't reach their goal, you usually are never charged (Kickstarter does not charge unless the goal is it, don't know about this site). If they do make their goal, but never deliver, you are totally out of luck. For this reason, I have significantly cut back on my use of KS and KS-like sites unless I know the developers.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 03, 2013, 08:17:49 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 03, 2013, 07:04:06 PM

If they don't reach their goal, you usually are never charged (Kickstarter does not charge unless the goal is it, don't know about this site). If they do make their goal, but never deliver, you are totally out of luck. For this reason, I have significantly cut back on my use of KS and KS-like sites unless I know the developers.

Thanks som, appreciate the details.  Your strategy makes sense to play to safe with people you know and trust.   I'll keep my eye on this one and see how it turns out.

jomni

I used to play transport tycoon even on my Windows pocket PC. :)

son_of_montfort

For those of you that don't know about it, you can download OpenTTD and play a fan-made and improved version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe in full HD glory.

http://www.openttd.org/en/

You do need to use the internal download software to grab the modules (industries and transport options) that you want and also to provide some AI players. It is very easy, but if you don't know that you need to do that, the game will seem very sparse.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 05, 2013, 10:33:12 AM
For those of you that don't know about it, you can download OpenTTD and play a fan-made and improved version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe in full HD glory.

http://www.openttd.org/en/

You do need to use the internal download software to grab the modules (industries and transport options) that you want and also to provide some AI players. It is very easy, but if you don't know that you need to do that, the game will seem very sparse.

There is also an Android version.  I d/l'd it on my Fire, but even on the 7" screen, the text and hotspots were very tiny and a pain to hit.

I may try the Windows version sometime.

steve58

I thought there might be some interest here in something like Train Fever....glad I checked before starting a new thread...surprised I missed this thread initially.

Anyway, it'll be on Steam on Sept 4.  You can pre-order (why?) for $30.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304730/

http://www.train-fever.com/media/videos/

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bob48

I could go for that. I spent countless hours with Transport Tycoon Deluxe, so if this is anything like it, I'm in.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

This does look interesting. I used to play Railroad Tycoon for many, many hours back in the day. The gameplay videos on Steam look pretty interesting, and the game seems rather intuitive. Would like to see more of how you run an empire...if it's like RTII I'd seriously consider buying this one.