Author Topic: Feedback on Boggit's review of Strategic Command WWI: Breakthrough  (Read 4382 times)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
Boggit's latest opus is live.

Check it out and tell us what you think
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Bismarck

• Man-at-Arms
Re: Feedback on Boggit's review of Strategic Command WWI: Breakthrough
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:44:37 AM »
His point about disease is well taken for the longer campaigns. Casualties were replaced but national morale could be affected by non-combat factors. Yet, given that both sides were affected, wouldn't it be a wash?
Jim Cobb

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »

Stop making me want all these WW1 games!  Gah!! 

"I just need to add enough bourbon." - mirth

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

Offline Boggit

• Landsknecht
  • Review Scribe
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
His point about disease is well taken for the longer campaigns. Casualties were replaced but national morale could be affected by non-combat factors. Yet, given that both sides were affected, wouldn't it be a wash?
I'd agree to some extent it does balance out, but especially for the Western Front where both sides made a serious effort to control disease. However, the 'flu epidemic hit each side within a few months of each other creating some uncertainty for commanders due to the timing of the pandemic. Pershing for example had to consider halting the Meuse-Argonne offensive due to the high number of troops and replacements being hors de combat (or simply dead). In game terms the effect is strength, readiness and morale loss for the frontline units, whilst at the national level a drop not only in national morale, but military production points due to the effect of widespread serious poor health dislocating the economy.

The situation is less balanced on the Eastern front where "'General' Typhus" in particular had a huge impact. The Germans and to a lesser extent the Austro-Hungarians were quicker to put precautions in place, but the Serbs, Russians and Turks were pretty dire in handling the medical issues if at all - and paid for it in lives and reduced combat effectiveness.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:39:50 AM by Boggit »
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Offline Boggit

• Landsknecht
  • Review Scribe
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:38:58 AM »

You're going to hate me... ;D Have a guess at the subject for my next article... :P
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »

You're going to hate me... ;D Have a guess at the subject for my next article... :P

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I just need to add enough bourbon." - mirth

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

Offline Staggerwing

• Arquebusier
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:42:45 AM »
LOL
Vituš ér enn - eša hvat?  -Voluspa
Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 08:24:44 AM »
Excellent review.

I'll add two observations:
1] Research decisions are vital in campaign games.  There are a swarm of research options which change the strategic focus of the player.
2] The balkins and the russian revolution campaigns are the only ones I have seen. 

I'm working on a AAR with some game modifications for the 1914 campaign that will appear next year.

Offline Atilla60

• Viking
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Good job Boggit ... Thumbs up.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Offline Boggit

• Landsknecht
  • Review Scribe
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:29:25 AM »
Thanks Guys. I'm really glad you liked it. :)

Offline Boggit

• Landsknecht
  • Review Scribe
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »
Excellent review.

I'll add two observations:
1] Research decisions are vital in campaign games.  There are a swarm of research options which change the strategic focus of the player.
2] The balkins and the russian revolution campaigns are the only ones I have seen. 

I'm working on a AAR with some game modifications for the 1914 campaign that will appear next year.
Thank you for your kind comments.

I totally agree with your observation about research. I usually prioritise trenches, infantry tactics and production, but a lot depends on what is going on elsewhere. I recommend trying out some of the other campaigns. The Somme is quite an interesting challenge.

I'm really looking forward to your AAR!