Elder Scrolls Online (MMO)

Started by PanzersEast, October 22, 2012, 12:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

I have never really gotten into any MMO, however after reading this preview I am very interested in ES Online.  They have an unique approach that almost is a game within a game....

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/elderscrollsonline/previews.html

PE

Kushan

I'm really excited for this one. What will make or break the game IMO is whether is free to play or subscription based. I fear even if they launch subscription base then transition to free to play it will just get shoved under the carpet like the Old Republic and the Star Trek MMO. Not saying that either of those games are bad, but I know Old Republics population is below 1 million players. Even the new WoW expansion has under performed compared to previous expansions. And I don't think most games are going to be able to do a transition like LOTRO and D&D Online did. I think that was a one time thing because they were the first to do it. Now with games like GW2 being free out of the box, and subscription based MMO is now longer appealing for the majority of the MMO crowd.

I like how you can set your gaming preferences (RP, PVP, Solo, Group, etc.) and it will seamlessly transition you to subservers instead of being locked into one server. I mainly solo most of the lower level content then group for end game raids/dungeons, and I don't pvp.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

I'd be surprised if it wasn't free-to-play as that seems to be the far superior model for MMOs right now.

But then again, it may just be the premium price up front with no monthly fees, but a cash shop in-game, like Guild Wars 2?  Either way - I'd almost guarantee it has a cash shop.

ArizonaTank

Recent MMOs have been too "samey" for me, even if they are free to play. 

I think that these guys really need to do something new, unique and "out of the box".  They did that with the RPG; crossing my fingers they will do the same in MMO land.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 23, 2012, 06:12:03 AM
Recent MMOs have been too "samey" for me, even if they are free to play. 

I think that these guys really need to do something new, unique and "out of the box".  They did that with the RPG; crossing my fingers they will do the same in MMO land.

Agreed.  I've been pretty MMO'd out the last few years.  I can't even keep playing Guild Wars 2 for very long and it's a little different than the run-of-the-mill. 

I don't think they need a massively drastic change in mechanics but more so in the content and the experience itself.

Gusington

If this has the hook we are all hoping it has it may be the first MMO I play. That or Mechwarrior.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on October 23, 2012, 05:46:14 PM
If this has the hook we are all hoping it has it may be the first MMO I play.

Me too.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

I've always wanted a strategy game set in the Elder Scrolls universe too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on October 23, 2012, 05:46:14 PM
If this has the hook we are all hoping it has it may be the first MMO I play. That or Mechwarrior.

I've moved on to the more action-y match-based games, I think.  While Mechwarrior Online just doesn't have a lot of content right now, I think it will take the old place of MMORPGs for awhile once it (eventually) gets the Inner Sphere War thing implemented, if it's anything like the old 3025 beta's war/campaign layer back in the day.  I'm not sure if it has enough to draw me in right now, though.  Still.. there's War Thunder and that one looks like it will be the cat's peanut butter pajamas if they ever get everything in & finished. 

I can see these new sim-like Match-MMOs substituting for the classic style MMOs for people burned out on the latter, like me, for a time.  I can even see these things gaining more traits of the RPG ones in the future (such as the persistent planet/galaxy aimed for in MWO) and that's something to look forward to.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Anyone else thinks a game full of "The Dragonborn" jumping around all the time to level and shouting Fus Roh Dah! is a little bit idiotic? :P

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on October 24, 2012, 07:42:26 AM
Cat's peanut butter pajamas eh?

The Kitten's pimento cheese mittens.

Do you know how fast you were going, meow?

Gusington

Wow you're more far gone than I thought.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

The game is now available for pre-order.

If you do so via GreenManGaming you can use the voucher:
GISYAV-14G1V5-7ZD5S3
For 25% off.

Ugh, seems to be a 1-time use voucher :(

Rayfer