Main Menu

Fallen Enchantress

Started by Zulu1966, October 21, 2012, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Conquest of Elysium is little more than moving stacks of units and watching battles unfold.  The only real decisions to be made are the makeup of the stacks and what direction to move in.  Fallen Enchantress is a bazillion times deeper.

Wolfe1759

If I was only going to choose one between FE and CoE3 it would have to be FE.

However having said that I own both and both are good games, FE has a lot more depth and polish, CoE3 has a certain charm and character.

CoE3 is also a quarter of the price of FE.

There is a demo of CoE3 here http://www.desura.com/games/conquest-of-elysium-3 though I strongly suggest reading at least section 3 (The Interface) and your class page of section 9 (Classes) to get a feel of what the game is all about  before diving in.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Huw the Poo

I've had a really quick look at this and so far I'm impressed.  Tactical combat has been vastly improved since WoM, and the interface - particularly tooltips - is the way it should have been two years ago.  Having only played a few turns I'm not really qualified to comment on anything just yet, but I've seen enough to know it's worth continuing.  Mood: cautiously optimistic. :)

P.S. Good array of starting options for skirmishes too.

Jarhead0331

Are there actually armies in the game now? In WoM, your "armies" consisted of about 8 individual units.  Hardly felt epic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 28, 2012, 08:45:43 AM
Are there actually armies in the game now? In WoM, your "armies" consisted of about 8 individual units.  Hardly felt epic.

The groups of units are now larger.
So it does feel a bit more like armies rather than lone individuals battling it out.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tpek on October 26, 2012, 08:48:43 AM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 25, 2012, 08:59:51 PM
I have only played a little so far, but don't see where the comment on lack of weapons and armor types comes from.  For example, I just outfitted a group of militia in leather....had many options for what they could add; boots, greaves, bracers, and at least type types of clubs. 

I'll keep playing to get a better idea.

So far so good...am having fun with it.  Diplomacy seems to work better now as well.

These are different parts.
But wait until you research all the armors and you'll see how limited your options are.
Linear progression of armor with only 4 "levels".

And like I said, a distinct lack of variety when it comes to ranged weaponry.

I see where you are coming from, and yes there are only basic armor types (leather, chain and plate).  Also, there are only basic bows and throwing daggers for missiles. 

But there are just so many options to customize your troops with, particularly by tweaking traits (eg. giving a first charge bonus, or giving them better dodge skills), adding magic items (rings, belts, etc.). 

IMHO, I am quite satisfied with the options to create custom units.  So I don't have admantium plate, and am missing crossbows, slings and javelins....but there is so much other customization, that I don't really notice.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on October 26, 2012, 05:32:52 PM
Conquest of Elysium is little more than moving stacks of units and watching battles unfold.  The only real decisions to be made are the makeup of the stacks and what direction to move in.  Fallen Enchantress is a bazillion times deeper.

Sounds like CoE is nothing compared to Ilwinter's grand strategy title.  I wonder why CoE gets hyped so much when there's so little to it?

Martok

Space Sector has their review up; it's quite thorough.  Sounds like their overall experience was very positive. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

spelk

JasonPratt

Personally, I'm embarrassed that I didn't realize until yesterday that FE isn't an upgrade/sequel/reboot/whatever to Warlock: Masters of the Arcane!

But that means I can have my MoMish version of the Fantasy General/Elven Legacy engine, and also a different MoM contender, both getting good reviews.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: spelk on October 30, 2012, 04:32:33 AM
A good podcast with Derek Paxton on FE over at Three Moves Ahead.
http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2012/10/29/three-moves-ahead-episode-192-fallen-enchantress/

The podcast also involves TOM AND BRUCE!!

(As expected, they kind of threaten to take over the podcast. After their introduction, even Derek can't quite remember what the title of the game is!  ;D )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

How do you get essence in a city?

Yskonyn

It's on of the resources from the land.
The blue squares on a city tile are essence. Many tiles don't have essence at all, just Food and Material.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Huw the Poo

Oh jeez, really?  It must be bloody rare then.  I haven't seen any yet.