Main Menu

Dishonored

Started by Jarhead0331, October 09, 2012, 03:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Looks like a winner...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/08/dishonored-review

A breath of fresh air.

→ October 7, 2012 Are you getting sick of playing games that don't actually let you play? You know the ones I mean: they funnel you down a narrow path, don't give you much freedom in what you can do, and rely on cinematic set pieces to drive the spectacle. I am, and that's why Dishonored is such a refreshing experience. It picks up where games like Deus Ex and BioShock left off, and puts choice back in the hands of the player.

As Corvo Attano, protector to an Empress, players find themselves in Dunwall, a grimy port city whose population is being decimated by a rat-born plague. It's an industrial setting; a fishing town grown rich off the back of the whale oil that powers the city's circuits. It's also a hive of corruption, political machinations and power grabbing, and this all comes to the fore when the Empress is assassinated, and Corvo sets out to avenge her death.

That vengeance can take many forms. Unlike so many video game protagonists, Corvo is not pre-ordained to be a mass murderer. The entire game can be completed without killing a single person, so guards can be avoided or knocked unconscious, and non-lethal options can be found for assassination targets.

Of course, if you want to cut a bloody swathe across Dunwall, that's catered for too. Just be warned: killing your way to the end of the game has a number of ramifications. More dead bodies means more rats and more guards, and a darker overall conclusion.

If you're anything like me though, you'll probably take an approach that's somewhere in the middle – at least for your first play-through. Whatever you do, the mechanics are highly versatile and each setting has been designed to give players multiple options for achieving any one goal.

By way of example, in one mission Corvo has two targets to take out inside a brothel, but there is, of course, an alternative to killing them. If you can find another guest in the complex and get him to give up the code for his safe, you can then give this code to a character in the Distillery District and he'll make both your targets disappear. In my first playthrough, I got the code, but went and eliminated both the targets anyway, then took the contents of the safe for myself.

These kind of options make missions much more engaging than if players were simply tasked with the usual 'go here, kill this' objectives. That said, it's actually the moment to moment gameplay choices that make Dishonored so compelling.

What happens, for instance, if you need to get past a 'wall of light'? These electrified gateways are set up throughout the city and will fry anything that's not authorised to pass through them. You might be able to circumvent it by climbing up onto the rooftops and traversing around, or use the possession power to scurry through a drainage pipe as a rat and get to the other side. On the other hand you could deal with the gate itself by removing the whale oil tank that's powering it, or hack into the system and reverse it. This last option is perhaps the most entertaining, as it means you're now able to step through, but any guards who give chase will be instantly incinerated.

The approach you take will at least partly be determined by how you've customised Corvo, and these options are incredibly robust. Each of the game's ten powers can be unlocked in any order (after Blink), and each can be upgraded. Runes hidden throughout the world are the currency for unlocking and upgrading powers, and that hunt is brilliant fun in and of itself. For my first play through, I focused on using and levelling up three core powers: Blink, Dark Vision and Agility.

Blink is a short range teleport that's useful for moving from cover to cover, getting the jump on enemies and scaling buildings. Dark Vision lets players see enemy movements through walls, and also highlights other important objects in the world. Agility, on the other hand, is a passive power which increases jump height and movement speed, and reduces fall damage. As you can see, I opted for agility and stealth above all else.

To further enhance my cat burglar-like skills, I also spent cash upgrading my boots for quieter movement, and activated perks – via the game's hidden bone charms - to drastically reduce the time it takes to choke an enemy, as well as to increase my movement speed in stealth mode and while carrying corpses.

You may well choose completely different abilities and perks. If you're combat-focused, whirlwind sends enemies flying and is really effective, as is slow time, which actually freezes time when fully levelled up. While some powers are more useful than others, it's a good selection and great fun to experiment with. They're backed up by more traditional weapons: crossbow, pistol, grenades, spring razor, and so on, and these can all be upgraded too.

Dishonored's nine missions are all very distinct. You'll attend a society gala in disguise, scale a bridge, escape from prison, wander through flooded slums and stalk across rooftops. You'll take part in a duel, carry an unconscious man through a gauntlet of enemies and decide whether or not to become a torturer. Each mission is designed as a sandbox, allowing players to utilise whatever approach they want, and if you're anything like me, you'll take your time, getting the lay of the land, discovering alternate routes, listening in on conversations, taking on optional objectives, looking for secrets and treasure, and generally just playing.

Players who really take the time to enjoy the experience are rewarded too. The more runes, bone charms and money you find, the more you can augment and upgrade your character, and the more bad-ass you'll become. In fact, by the last couple of missions I was almost too powerful; able to stalk, choke and kill with ease. Good thing there are hard and extra hard difficulty settings to move on to, which ramp up the perceptiveness of enemies and increase the general challenge.

It's also worth noting that taking out the actual targets in each mission can often be a bit of a letdown. In almost all cases you've got a serious advantage over them – no matter how heavily guarded they are. That's not much of a deal breaker, however, because Dishonored really is about exploration and experimentation as much as the end goal. This is one of those games in which you'll save often, reloading again and again to try different approaches, until you get each gameplay vignette just right.

Even though the odds are very much in your favour (on normal difficulty at least), the gameplay evolves nicely alongside the story. New factions and enemy types are introduced, which help shift up the vibe and introduce new challenges. One mission in particular pits Corvo against foes that aren't so easily outmanoeuvred, and it's a great touch, even though I'd have loved to see that sub-story pushed a little further.

In fact, that goes for a lot of the game. It's a fascinating world with a memorable cast, not to mention an interesting overarching tension between mystical pagan magic and industrialisation, but all these elements never really feel like they come to fruition. The experience is still engrossing from start to finish, however.

You may also have some small issues with the controls. Climbing ledges - particularly when getting out of water - sometimes isn't as smooth as it could be. The mechanic for sneaking up on guards and grabbing them from behind can be a little temperamental too - nothing worse than coming up behind a guard and blocking instead of grabbing. It's also a little disappointing that the well-implemented first person perspective doesn't extend to carrying objects, which just hover in space, in stark contrast to wielding weapons, powers and knocking guards out. Oh, and you'll come across a few invisible walls in the play spaces, too, which is a bit of a shame, but probably unavoidable. None of these concerns are deal breakers, as Dishonored is very much a joy to play.

It's also one of the prettiest games of recent years. The art direction is nothing short of incredible, and it's matched with a visual aesthetic that makes the world look like an oil painting in motion. Dishonored isn't competing on detail; it's driven by soft textures, intelligent use of colours and contrast, and beautiful lighting. From terraced urban streets to industrial warehouses, menacing fortresses to regal palaces, it's Victorian England meets City 17 meets whalepunk. The character modelling is superb too, even if the facial animations could be better... and the oddly oversized hands could be smaller.

As is becoming standard, PC owners are in for the biggest visual treat. Dishonored does look excellent on console - I finished it on Xbox 360, then started again on PS3, and thoroughly enjoyed playing on both. You may notice minor frame rate issues and a little tearing, but nothing that will really take away from the gameplay. That said, it's significantly better-looking on a modern PC, so that should be the platform of choice for players who have the option.

The Verdict

It's a shame that Dishonored's story isn't greater than the sum of its decidedly memorable parts, but its gameplay absolutely is. Each mission is built as an elaborate network of choices for players to explore, and the same can be said for Corvo himself. Each player's selection of powers, perks and other upgrades will inform how they see and interact with this world, and no two play-throughs will be exactly the same. Dishonored is a game you'll talk with your friends about, and that you'll want to play multiple times. In this game there are always other paths to be taken and other challenges to conquer, and that's a refreshing thing indeed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

It sounds like Deus Ex gameplay.

tgb

Last thing I need is to spend more money on a game I have no time to play.  Good thing my system can't handle it.

Jarhead0331

The style and aesthetic of the game is really well done.  The story is interesting so far, as well.  However, I can't say that I'm totally in love with the game play yet. I know some of you will think this is sacrilege, but I think this would have been better as a 3rd person action/RPG with a strong cover mechanic.  At least, having a 3rd person mode while hugging a wall would have been very useful.  Something about the first person mechanic feels a bit flat to me.  I can't really put my finger on it yet.

Anyway, I really just started and don't even have any "powers" yet, so we'll see how it goes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

OK...the game definitely begins to pick up once you start developing your "powers."  The tactical options open up and you start to feel like a badass super-assassin.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Cool, I was hoping that would happen. Will play a couple of more hours tonight...passed out last night before I could play.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

You really haven't lived until you've laid low your enemies with a plague of murdering carnivorous rats. I am almost through with my first proper mission and I am almost to the point where this game is a great one in my mind. Perhaps classic. As others have said, it's not as good as Thief but it's damned close.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

I like to think that Dishonored is an indication that the single player game is not dead. According to RPS it is the number one selling game in the UK right now. As a mostly SP gamer that warms my heart.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

joram

I was reading (in Wired I think) that you can go through the entire game without killing a single person.  Sounds like an interesting challenge.

Gusington

Dishonored really pushes that you can "play it your way"...meaning you can definitely attempt to sneak through the whole thing, but it won't be easy. I really want to sneak around most of the time but typically I end up butchering a lot of people. Thief was easier to sneak through.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

New DLC coming April 16, The Knife of Dunwald, telling the original story from the real assassin's point of view. Will include new areas and new weapons. GIGGITY

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd