Author Topic: AAR Thread  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
AAR Thread
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
As a non-voting member of the board, I'll like to request a dedicated AAR thread from my new online home masters.

It was one of the real downsides of the Wargamer.  People did some really great AARs that got lost in the "what's on sale", "let's talk about the same game in it's own thread for the hundredth time" threads. 

I think it is something that could really help set this place apart.  Reviews are nice for the quick down and dirty on gameplay and initial impressions.  However for me, it's the AAR that really sells a game to a potential new player.  One of my favorite things to do is to go over to Matrix and read through the AAR forums.  I might never have the time or energy to play out a full campaign of WitP, but I do so vicariously through the AARs.  I've also boughten games that I was on the fence about because of AARs.  I think it would also help build up the board gaming community.  It's one thing to read about a board game, but a completely different thing to see the game displayed in all it's map and counter glory.

I'll even work on AARs to help push the thread.  Perhaps another JTS Falklands or Command Ops HttR.

Just my two coppers.

Offline Keunert

• Man-at-Arms
  • he who wears rabbit ears, has libido
Re: AAR Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
you have my vote, Büffel!
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »
Can be done. Where? I know a lot of us are PC gamers, but there are boardgamers, too, and I wouldn't want to exclude them.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »
Also, let's move this to feedback :)

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:32:15 PM »
I meant forum location and not an individual thread, but yes also board games.  I think it would be a great way for the bloggers in our midst to promote their blogs and this site at the same time.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
I meant forum location and not an individual thread, but yes also board games.  I think it would be a great way for the bloggers in our midst to promote their blogs and this site at the same time.

I'm good with that. In fact, we can even move the DIY forum along with the AAR forum into it's own grouping. I'm not sure what to call it, but I envision something rather democratized - like a gamers' rebellion where they control the discussion. The fact is that while I'm a professional writer, and I have several good ones on board, you guys have great insight into games, too. This kinda the area for the gamers to discuss stuff.

Maybe "Gamers Spring" or something like that? I dunno. But I think we're onto something.

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:43:23 PM »
Heh,  I took me a second to figure out what DIY was exactly.

Offline TheCommandTent

• Crossbowman
  • On your left flank!
    • The Command Tent
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »
I would add another vote for an AAR section and don't forget about miniature gaming AARs.
“No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is.”

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Your awesome mini's AAR is one of the things that got me to thinking we need to collect these works in a single source subforum.

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
Done.

There's a new AAR board after the Tabletop board.

Well...why are you still here? Get to posting!  8)

Offline TheCommandTent

• Crossbowman
  • On your left flank!
    • The Command Tent
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
Thanks LongBlade now I just need to put some AARs together.  Perhaps in the mean time I can post some I've already done on my blog.
“No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is.”

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 12:11:56 AM »
Will this be intended for AAR's from computer games as well? 

"I just need to add enough bourbon." - mirth

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 01:14:06 AM »
Yes Martok.  There is one for board/mini's games and one for pc games.  I expect a Star Trek something or other from you soon!

Offline Martok

• Arquebusier
  • Gah!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:23:43 AM »
Heh. 

Indeed, that's partly why I was asking.  I've been working on the next chapter of my BOTF Romulan campaign, and I've been wondering if I could/should post it here, at the WG, or both... 

"I just need to add enough bourbon." - mirth

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 01:36:09 AM »
Now I need to get off my lazy buttocks and do something productive.  Just not sure what game to do.  AARs take commitment which is why I love them.  They make you stop and think about what your going to do and what you did.  For me they really help focus on the game and what I'm doing.