Started by Centurion40, February 10, 2012, 09:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Quote from: Windigo on May 20, 2014, 11:36:49 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on May 18, 2014, 12:51:33 PM
You and JP can form a haters club.  >:D

It started off so well...

IMO the Producers snorted almost all the CGI budget

Some how, when I think Godzilla, cutting edge CGI doesn't come to mind.  Having a little tackiness feels right.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Windigo

cutting edge... he was mostly a no show
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I went to see the new X-Men movie today because I'm in Bangkok and there's a god damned coup going on and what the hell else am I gonna do with the curfew in place right now?

Anyway, it was a pretty good flick.  I never read the comics but I did watch the 90s cartoon so I kinda knew the storyline.  I was hoping for more Sentinels vs. mutants stuff but even though there wasn't a lot of that, it was still very entertaining.  It's got a lot more in common with X-Men First Class than with the original trilogy in terms of style and tone.  It's got a lot of characters in it but they did a good job with keeping the story tight.  Most of the casting was good except the guy who played Nixon.  He just didn't look right.  Having Peter Drinklage in it was a bit if a distraction as he seemed to be there solely to cash in on his Game of Thrones popularity.  The chick who plays Blink is smoking hot but I suspect she's only in there as a sop to the Chinese market.  I gather she's quite the famous actress/model in China.

Centurion40

Bangkok??!!  :o  Keep your head down, and don't let Bangkok have you!

Any time is a good time for pie.

Martok

Thanks for the mini-review, SDR

X-Men: Days of Future Past is *the* movie I want to see this summer.  The few professional reviews I've read so far have been very positive overall, but it's still reassuring to know that someone who's even more of a casual fan than myself enjoyed it as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

I saw X-Men: Days of Future Past last night and really enjoyed it.  I got over my deep dislike for the look and function of the future Sentinels.  I thought it was a ripping yarn, with every actor/ character pulling their weight.  Dinklage continues to rock, he's every bit as good in this as Game of Thrones.

37/40

Silent Disapproval Robot

I kinda wondered about the Sentinels and their powers as well.  I would have thought they'd need Rogue's DNA instead of Mystique's in order to gain the abilities that they had.  Oh well.  Minor quibble.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

MetalDog

Saw X-Men: Days of Future Past.  I liked it.  Still can't get over Wolverine being 6'2" instead of 5'2", and that he's basically unkillable, and immortal.  And I wished we had gotten some more character development for Bishop, Colossus, et al.  And I REALLY wanted to know when Kitty Pryde got the power to send people back in time.  And why Raven/Mystique dropping a gun suddenly makes Sentinels disappear.  Or any number of things that I apparently didn't remember from the comics.  But that's Hollywood.  And in this movie, they do what they do best and tell a quick, action packed story with enough development to keep you interested, even if you know everything is going to turn out alright.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Ehem. Please see above posts.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Centurion40

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 24, 2014, 09:12:23 AM
No spoilers!

I got souvenir 3D glasses, and there is a scene at the end of the credits. Sorry!  :P

Staggerwing

I always sit through the credits at the end of Marvel films, or any other films with a similar vibe. Pacific Rim had a nice credits-scene.

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 24, 2014, 05:50:04 PM

Sorry.  Kind of a dick move by me.  It just never occurs to me that there are people who are not familiar enough with the Marvel Universe to not wonder these same things as well.  At least that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Centurion40

Quote from: MetalDog on May 24, 2014, 10:09:23 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 24, 2014, 05:50:04 PM

Sorry.  Kind of a dick move by me.  It just never occurs to me that there are people who are not familiar enough with the Marvel Universe to not wonder these same things as well.  At least that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Then tell me WTF I saw at the end of the credits!