Squad Leader

Started by Rayfer, January 28, 2020, 06:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Retired now and thinking of getting back into Squad Leader from Avalon Hill circa 1977. I see there is a different publisher, Multi-Man Publishing, who put out a new Advanced Squad Leader starter kit #1. Both are available used on eBay.  My dilemma is this.... should I go back to my roots with the older Avalon Hill game or try the newer starter kit #1.  Any insights, suggestions would be appreciated.

al_infierno

Do you have an old copy of SL laying around?  If not, I would 100% recommend picking up ASLSK1 and learning that.

It's really up to you, but the general consensus I've heard is that ASL is an improvement over SL in just about every way, and old SL vets generally only return to SL out of nostalgia.  ASL is the King and Granddaddy, SL is the Great Grandaddy past his prime. 

ASL will require you to un-learn some old SL habits, but the Starter Kits are all very accessible and well worth the entry price.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Rekim

I'll second the suggestion to go with ASLSK over SL.

The reasons are many. A good one being that in this day and age it is much easier to find opponents and mentors for ASL / ASLSK. The same can be said for online support. There are many options for continuing the hobby past SK#1 whereas with SL things get messy if you decide to delve into the expansion modules.

Rayfer

Thanks for the replies, they are most helpful. I no longer have any of my old 1977 vintage Squad Leader stuff, all long lost to a number of job mandated relocations.  I think I'm going to heed your suggestions and go with the newer iterations.  Again, thanks.