Main Menu

Total War Series

Started by Gusington, January 26, 2020, 01:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Your gripes, loves, mysteries, mods...post them all here on Total War  :coolsmiley:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

aradii

You are awesome Gusington, Thanks for the topic, Ok guys I want to introduce a great mod for middle earth lovers, Divide and Conquer. Divide and Conquer is a submod for Third Age Total War, itself a mod for Medieval Total War II. You can choose a lot of factions in the game, for example, Gondor, Mordor, Dwarves of Erebor, Orcs of Gundabad... I'm playing Woodland Realm led by Thranduil  8), if you interested you can find more information in moddb: https://www.moddb.com/mods/divide-and-conquer
(Sorry for my bad English guys, My English is not good, but you know I really like to communicate with other people around the world  ;D)

Gusington

^Reads fine to me, especially when you say I am awesome.

Are you one of the creators of that above mod?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I've been playing Thrones of Britannia with a number of mods installed, and it's definitely improved my enjoyment of an already-fun game.  Some of them change/improve the campaign, a couple affect combat, and others are just immersion packs, but they've all made the playing experience more interesting/fun in one way or another. 

Here's the list of mods I'm currently using, along with my impressions/assessments of them: 

1.) ToB Enhanced Campaign:  Changes include unlimited governors, technologies no longer require certain conditions as pre-reqs, all factions can confederate & loot, auto-resolve is more accurate, and more.  Verdict:  Favorable.  While admittedly a bit less realistic, I find it's more than offset by the improvement in both campaign pacing, and reduced frustration in managing my kingdom.  This mod may not appeal to those who prefer a slower and/or more historical campaign start. 

2.) Minor Town Garrisons:  Pretty self-explanatory, minor settlements receive an automatic garrison of levy-tier units.  Garrison size ranges from 2 to 6 units, depending on the town's upgrade level.  Verdict:  Marginally favorable.  It helps level the playing field for the AI somewhat (it's not as good as human players at invading unoccupied minor settlements), plus it feels a bit more realistic; however, it also slows down the campaign pacing.  Honestly, this one is pretty much a toss-up; it's really going to depend on what is more important to you. 

3.) M's Tenacious Skill Points Britannia:  When leveling up, your characters now gain 2 skill points instead of 1.  Verdict:  Very favorable.  Given how relatively short a time your characters (ruler, generals, governors, etc.) live, gaining only one skill point per level has long been a critique among even the most ardent fans of this game.  Now all the major characters in your kingdom are more powerful, impactful, and just all-around useful.  I already can't imagine playing ToB without this fantastic little mod.  Give this one a miss if you're a masochist, and/or enjoy combating frustration (along with the perfidious foe) in your games. 

4.) Seasonal Effects:  Affects income, food, movement, replenishment, morale, supplies and public order.  Also includes "unseasonable" events, both good & bad (mild winters, summer droughts, etc.).  Verdict:  Mostly favorable.  The unseasonable events seem to happen a bit too frequently to be realistic (or at least believable), but otherwise I like that it now matters more what season it is.  Not a "must-have" mod, but it mildly improves both gameplay and immersion. 

5.) Historical Cities and Landmarks:  Gives you interesting informational pop-ups when clicking on major settlements, and any settlements near visible landmarks (once you've captured it).  Verdict:  Favorable.  For those who like more atmosphere/immersion in their games, and/or wish to learn a little more about the early medieval history of the British Isles, this mod is for you.  It's also pure "flavor"; if you're only interested in mods that improve gameplay, then you should pass on this one. 

6.) ToB Enhanced Battles:  Makes battles longer and more tactical, mainly by reducing weapons damage and/or accuracy to a more realistic level.  Unit speeds have been decreased as well (less "sprinting" across the map).  Verdict:  Tentatively favorable.  I've played only a small handful of battles so far with the mod installed, so I'm withholding my full judgment for now.  That being said, combat does appear to be more of a proper "grind", especially between shield-walls (as it should be).  Those who prefer more fast-paced battles should give this mod a miss. 

7.) Better Camera Mod:  Let's you both zoom in closer and further away during battles.  Verdict:  Moderately favorable.  It's a neat little mod that enhances one's viewing pleasure (the "spectacle" of battle).  If you're mostly just interested in the tactical aspect of battles, then this mod isn't really necessary. 

8.) Immersive Shields and Armies:  Another immersion mod, this one improves unit appearance, especially those with shields (obviously), although clothing & armor receive some TLC as well.  Verdict:  Favorable.  An easy "recommend" for those who want their armies looking a little more authentic.  The Saxon and Viking factions appear to have received a bit more attention, so those who prefer Celtic and/or Gaelic factions may feel slighted. :P

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Rome Total War was the game that lead me to computer wargaming.

Before, I had been a board wargamer.

In 1980, I went from Groningen to Nijmegen for a graduation project in physics. The professor there, an American, introduced me and a Hungarian PHD student to wargaming through a fantasy hex board game https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23/divine-right. I had never seen such games before, but it reminded me of a game I had made myself as a teenager: it had a large map with a grid, mountains and other terrain, units and towed artillery.

After finishing my study in Groningen I got a research job with that professor in Nijmegen, probably because that way he would have a wargame opponent :-)
There was a gaming club in Nijmegen where we played massive games with teams: Terrible Swift Sword, and giant Wooden Sips & Iron Men naval battles with miniatures, like the full Trafalgar battle and the Raid on the Medway, with special rules for the Royal Marines. We had also a great multiplayer campaign in the office in the evenings with Hell's Highway.

And I had my wargame partner with who I had a weekly gaming evening. We played ASL, Richard Berg games, Strategy & Tactics games, The Gamers series American Civil War and their tactical WWII series. The lot.

Until I had to return to Groningen in an emergency family situation in 1994. I tried to keep up the wargaming through the emerging internet. I made a couple of modules for the pre-Vassal software of Aide de Camp. Nevertheless, I was kind of isolated in Groningen. There was a miniature table top community, but no boardgamers. So it my wargaming kind of died, apart from some incidental trips to my old friends in Nijmegen.

I did keep in touch with the hobby through a very active mailing list. I forgot the name.

But then my son showed me this game Rome: Total War. That drew my attention, and I bought a 3D card for this game.
It made me search for other wargames, and I found two games: Airborne Assault: Highway to the Reich and Combat Mission.
And so my wargame renaissance began in 2004.

Destraex

My comment would be about when we are getting a successor to total war that is both historical and had more major new features. I want clearer graphics at a distance, better sieges and siege mechanics and I want more strategy layers. I want to be able to move units on a scourge of war sized battlefield or at least once that has proper skirmish and init arrival mechanics.
Alas hollywood (ca snd sega) give us either fantasy or semi historical in romance and troy or warhammer. Taking the series further into repetitive blurry muck.
I used to enjoy the total war series. I really did. I was excited about unlocking the next unit in medieval2. After shogun II I cannot stand to loom at it. Its too repetitive and too boring. I don't know why. Injust lost my passion for this gamr. Perhaps it was the online encyclopedia, which Is too darned slow to load. Perhaps it was the new engine, perhaps the battles are just too darned big for me to enjoy getting to know my units. Perhaps when I finally get a new PC!
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

I've liked Total War off and on for the last decade or so.  Medieval 2 was great, but Empire and Napoleon were not so great.  I was giving up on the series, but Shogun II and Rome II are two of my favorite games of all time.  The Rise of the Republic campaign is a masterpiece.   After that...not so much...I've drifted into a downward spiral of simulations, multiplayer shoot-em ups and even just plain austere arcade games like Hell Let Loose.  I think the boardgame Hoplite kinda wrecked my interest in mass battle things like Total War or even Field of Glory...though Rise of the Republic does have some moderately convincing hoplites.  Maybe some austere arcade Hoplite games will come along. 

On a perhaps slightly funny aside...in the steam discussions of HLL, people are complaining that the battle lines are not well defined and the enemy can attack from anywhere at any time.  I wonder what kind of war at the fire team level they are imagining.  Sure, on maps, when a front is not very active, you have pretty definite front lines and back lines, but in an active battle when tanks and infantry are committed to attack, on a scale of one soldier to a soldier from minute to minute on a battlefield of less than three square km -- there's going to be a lot of turmoil and confusion and attacks coming from all directions and HLL reflects this pretty well.

aradii

Quote from: Gusington on January 26, 2020, 04:44:39 PM
^Reads fine to me, especially when you say I am awesome.

Are you one of the creators of that above mod?

No, I'm not a one of the creator, I wanted to let you know about this mod  O0, For me, the middle earth world is interesting because you can choose one the faction from lord of the rings movie or hobbit and play against Sauron or other evil faction

FlickJax

Playing Rome Total War multiplayer with my COD clan mates and watching their armies die in their droves when they attacked my defensive formations time after time... they never learned :)

Gusington

Total War...Total War never changes.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Has anybody tried-out the Three Kingdoms TW? I've seen almost nothing here about it so I figure it's probably not the game I was hoping a Chinese TW I've always dreamed of would be. Reviews at the forum are good but I trust the Grog-pinions above them.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 27, 2020, 11:26:00 AM
Has anybody tried-out the Three Kingdoms TW? I've seen almost nothing here about it so I figure it's probably not the game I was hoping a Chinese TW I've always dreamed of would be. Reviews at the forum are good but I trust the Grog-pinions above them.

It didn't grab me, but this is more because I'm not so interested in the source material. To my knowledge, it has been regarded as one of the best Total War games from a technical perspective in terms of systems, mechanics, AI, splendor, graphics, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

I love the look and the setting but I haven't been really grabbed by a TW title since FotS. Plus the it's still pretty pricey.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

I bought Three Kingdoms TW over the weekend.  Normally I wait for much deeper discounts before buying a game but I am a big Romance of the Three Kingdoms Koei fanboy and I finally broke down and bought it. 

Haven't tried it yet but I will soon and post my thoughts.

In the meantime I'm giving ToB a second chance even though I initially got bored with it really fast.  I'm beginning to realize it's not that bad and plays a little different than other TW titles.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk